none
Media Player Will Not Play ANY MP3 Files?

Question

• I've tried downloading new mp3 files just incase for whatever reason my old mp3's have been corrupted. the error message i get is "Windows Media Player Cannot play this file. The Player might not support file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file"
    I tried other music players, and they play the mp3's just fine, but i want to use WMP, and i've updated my windows 7 with every update as of 8/6/2009

SYSTEM
    Windows 7 Build 7100
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    3ghz

Thursday, August 06, 2009 10:55 PM

Answers

• WMP plays mp3 files fine, generally, there is no need to install any codecs to play mp3 (windows already recognize it), but it may help if you try to install K-Lite, because it can detect broken codecs. it would be useful to find out whether this problem occurs right after installing windows or after installing some software. mp3 must be normally played on clear windows with WMP without any third party codecs or players.
    Friday, August 07, 2009 3:03 PM

All replies

• WMP plays mp3 files fine, generally, there is no need to install any codecs to play mp3 (windows already recognize it), but it may help if you try to install K-Lite, because it can detect broken codecs. it would be useful to find out whether this problem occurs right after installing windows or after installing some software. mp3 must be normally played on clear windows with WMP without any third party codecs or players.
    Friday, August 07, 2009 3:03 PM
  • i tried installing the the k-lite codec pack but still nothing, i dont know what to do? windows mediaplayer just wont recongize my mp3s so i'm using another player for now
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:53 AM
  • the most likely the issue is caused by the third party software you installed, maybe some directshow players or codec packs or some another multimedia software changed something in media streaming-architecture.

some players can play music/video normally when directshow is broken, if they use their own plugins instead of directshow filters, e.g. vlc player.

Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:57 AM