none
Realtek Digital Output - No Volume

Question

• I have a Lenovo Y510 Laptop which had been working fine audio wise, but the sound quality has decreased greatly.  I tried to delete my drivers, and re-install the Realtek Digital Output, but I am getting no audio when I run a test of that.  Also, in the Windows Volume Mixer, I can raise and lower the Realtek Digital Output, and no volume changes, as their is nothing coming from the Realtek Digital Output.

Any ideas?
    Monday, September 22, 2008 3:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It can be a audio driver issue. After you uninstalled the driver, the contents were not removed, so the driver would be loaded again when you reboot. Please follow the steps below to try to remove the contents of the driver, and install the latest driver.

1. Click Start, click Run, type in "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand the "Sound, video and Game controllers" branch.

3. Right click the Realtek audio device and click Uninstall to uninstall the driver.

4. Click Start, in the Start Search box type "appwiz.cpl" and press Enter.

5. Find and remove all the Realtek related entries.

6. Restart the computer.

Please then download the latest audio from the following website.

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/lenovo/Drivers/list.aspx?CategoryID=134

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall. Then try to install the latest driver.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:51 AM

All replies

• Added to the description:

When I go to Control Panel>Sounds>Playback, it says my Realtek Digital Output is working... I click the Test button and the green levels show up like something is being played, but i am not hearing it at all.  I have tried to delete the drivers, re-install the Digital Output, etc, and still, the sound quality is terrible. When I reboot after deleting the driver, Windows automatically installs a device driver, and I get a pop up message titled "Utility," which says "OnDevice Added" and I need to click OK about 8 times before it goes away... So, without re-installing my drivers off the CD, Windows installed a driver by itself.  The installed driver comes up as "Speakers," and again, the sound quality is tin-y.  When I look at Control Panel>Sounds - Realtek Digital Output is there, and I test it, and again, the green lights up, but I hear no audio.. Please help!!
    Monday, September 22, 2008 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

It can be a audio driver issue. After you uninstalled the driver, the contents were not removed, so the driver would be loaded again when you reboot. Please follow the steps below to try to remove the contents of the driver, and install the latest driver.

1. Click Start, click Run, type in "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand the "Sound, video and Game controllers" branch.

3. Right click the Realtek audio device and click Uninstall to uninstall the driver.

4. Click Start, in the Start Search box type "appwiz.cpl" and press Enter.

5. Find and remove all the Realtek related entries.

6. Restart the computer.

Please then download the latest audio from the following website.

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/lenovo/Drivers/list.aspx?CategoryID=134

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall. Then try to install the latest driver.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:51 AM
  •  Arthur Xie - MSFT wrote:

Hope it helps.

did it? i have the same problem. havent tryed it yet
    Saturday, October 04, 2008 1:06 PM