none
Windows 8.1 Home Edition ISO RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I'm trying to install windows 8.1 but my product key is not working. I've bought Lenovo Ideapad Z510 laptop with windows 8.1 configured in 2014. Now my laptop hard disk crashed and not working. So, I've installed new HDD in my laptop. Since Key is not visible on the back of laptop so I've tried windowskeyfinder.exe to extract key from my BIOS. Now I've downloaded Windows 8.1 but it's always downloading Windows 8.1 Pro with 4GB size. And my key is not working in that iso. 

Can somebody help me to download Windows 8.1 Home edition. Or let me know how can I check the edition of windows which was installed on my laptop based on Product Key.

I don't have the hard disk on which windows was configured so can't check it. 

Best Regards,
    Brij K
    http://bloggerbrij.blogspot.co.uk/

Monday, June 17, 2019 8:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Brij K.

The product key embedded in your system's BIOS can be used only to install the Windows 8.1 copy that has been sold together with your PC.
    If download the Windows 8.1 ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO, you are prompted to provide a Retail Windows 8.1 product key (the one embedded in your computer's BIOS is an OEM one): that's why your product key does not allow you to install and activate Windows.
    You have to contact Lenovo and ask for assistance.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

• Edited by Luigi BrunoMVP Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brij K Thursday, June 20, 2019 11:35 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no windows 8.1 home edition. What happened when you use the product key to activate the windows 8.1?

A product key is usually required when uninstalling or reinstalling Windows 8.1. Generally, if you bought a physical copy of Windows, the product key should be on a label or card inside the box that Windows came in. If Windows came preinstalled on your PC, the product key should appear on a sticker on your device. If you’ve lost or can’t find the product key, contact the manufacturer.

When you begin activation, Windows will try to use your internet connection to activate online. If you have problems activating online or don't have an internet connection, you can activate by phone.

1. To activate Windows 8.1 using an internet connection:

Select the Start button , type PC settings, and then select PC settings from the list of results.
    Choose Activate Windows.
    Enter your Windows 8.1 product key, select Next, and follow the instructions.

2. To activate Windows 8.1 by phone:

Select the Start button , enter PC settings, and then select PC settings from the list of results.
    Select Activate Windows, and then select Contact customer support for help. Administrator permission required You may be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
    Select your location (or the location nearest to you) from the drop-down list, and then select Next.
    Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you through the activation process.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:12 AM
  • Hi Brij K.

The product key embedded in your system's BIOS can be used only to install the Windows 8.1 copy that has been sold together with your PC.
    If download the Windows 8.1 ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO, you are prompted to provide a Retail Windows 8.1 product key (the one embedded in your computer's BIOS is an OEM one): that's why your product key does not allow you to install and activate Windows.
    You have to contact Lenovo and ask for assistance.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

• Edited by Luigi BrunoMVP Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brij K Thursday, June 20, 2019 11:35 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:27 AM
  • Hi Luigi,

Thanks for the information. Now I understand why my key was not working in that install. I've contacted the Lenovo team and finally they get back to me yesterday asking some more information. I've provided details and Service Tag number and now waiting for their reply.

Best Regards,
    Brij K

Thursday, June 20, 2019 11:34 AM
  • Hi Luigi,

Thanks for the information. Now I understand why my key was not working in that install. I've contacted the Lenovo team and finally they get back to me yesterday asking some more information. I've provided details and Service Tag number and now waiting for their reply.

Best Regards,
    Brij K

You're welcome.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Thursday, June 20, 2019 12:42 PM