none
What Will Happen When The W7 Beta Expires? RRS feed

  • Question

  • The beta expires on 1 of August if I remember correctly. Does anyone know what will happen when it expires? Will the OS refuse to boot? I am just asking because I use it as my main OS and would hate to suddenly find that it's been disabled.

    Thanks.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 11:00 PM

Answers

  •  

    This should put your mind at ease: http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/01/30/our-next-engineering-milestone.aspx.

    Nonetheless, we all know that Windows 7 will expire on Aug 1, 2009 @ 7:59:59 PM.  Therefore, you need to make allowances now for the possibility that Windows 7 will not boot into a usable environment on or after that date.

    Sunday, February 1, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Hey,

    Not talking on behalf of Microsoft, but I'm very sure before Beta 1 expires, the RC version would be released by then. Once you upgrade to RC1 (from Beta 1), the expiry will be extended.

    However I suggest that you set an alarm (using Outlook or any other apps) and remind yourself to backup your data before the expiry date.

    Jabez Gan [MVP] - http://www.msblog.org Contributing Author for: (Sybex) MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-643
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:33 AM
    Answerer
  • egads said:

    Like I said, the experiment is not very realistic if people don't commit 100% to it.


    ...and btw, I have all kinds of OpenSource Beta software that'll work forever.  I'll bet you do too.   :))



    Yes, I have tested beta software that was not time limited. If I participate in a beta testing program it is for exactly that - testing. I don't run beta software on production computers. I do emulate a production environment during testing. Once the beta phase is over I uninstall the beta version. If I want to use the program I will get the RTM version. For open source obviously it's free. For other products it may or may not be free depending on the developer's policies. 100% commitment to testing the product yes, 100% commitment to using the product to the extent of excluding the product it is replacing is foolish and not recommended. Here is a link to the Windows 7 FAQ:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-faq.aspx

    Here's some pertinent quotes from the FAQ.

    "Yes. While the Windows 7 Beta is stable and has been thoroughly tested, it’s not the finished product. Your computer could crash and you could lose important files. So please don’t beta test Windows on your primary PC."


    "The Windows 7 Beta will stop working on August 1, 2009.

    To continue using your PC, please be prepared to reinstall a prior version of Windows or a subsequent release of Windows 7 before the expiration date."


    Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:19 PM

All replies

  •  

    This should put your mind at ease: http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/01/30/our-next-engineering-milestone.aspx.

    Nonetheless, we all know that Windows 7 will expire on Aug 1, 2009 @ 7:59:59 PM.  Therefore, you need to make allowances now for the possibility that Windows 7 will not boot into a usable environment on or after that date.

    Sunday, February 1, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Hey,

    Not talking on behalf of Microsoft, but I'm very sure before Beta 1 expires, the RC version would be released by then. Once you upgrade to RC1 (from Beta 1), the expiry will be extended.

    However I suggest that you set an alarm (using Outlook or any other apps) and remind yourself to backup your data before the expiry date.

    Jabez Gan [MVP] - http://www.msblog.org Contributing Author for: (Sybex) MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-643
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:33 AM
    Answerer
  • It is not widely known but when the Windows 7 Beta expires all the people who took part in the trial will be transported, Rapture-like, to Redmond, Washington for an all-expenses-paid weekend of conversation and relaxation as a Thank You from Microsoft. After the weekend we will, again Rapture-like, be transported back home. This will all be made possible by new top-secret Transporter Technology being developed by Bill and company for the DoD.
    This is gonna be great!
    Monday, February 2, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Over many years I have participated in many beta programs with several companies. I have never seen one where a time limited beta product continued working past it's expiry date. An expiry date is exactly what it says it is. You should plan on not using the Windows 7 beta product past the expiry date.

    As for supplying beta testers with free RTM product I have found policies vary. In the past for most Microsoft public beta programs free RTM product has not been supplied to public beta testers. I would count on this policy continuing and make appropriate plans now. If something different happens it is a bonus, but I wouldn't count on it.

    Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, February 2, 2009 3:26 PM
  • And I even write my own beta programs. LOL

    Seriously, I've got a dual boot xp x86 / 7 x64. "My documents" point to the same folder on a third partition; so whatever OS I use, I can continue working on the same projects / documents. I am very happy with this 7 beta release, but as an IT professional, I know Murphy's Law.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:08 PM
  • egads said:

    Like I said, the experiment is not very realistic if people don't commit 100% to it.


    ...and btw, I have all kinds of OpenSource Beta software that'll work forever.  I'll bet you do too.   :))



    Yes, I have tested beta software that was not time limited. If I participate in a beta testing program it is for exactly that - testing. I don't run beta software on production computers. I do emulate a production environment during testing. Once the beta phase is over I uninstall the beta version. If I want to use the program I will get the RTM version. For open source obviously it's free. For other products it may or may not be free depending on the developer's policies. 100% commitment to testing the product yes, 100% commitment to using the product to the extent of excluding the product it is replacing is foolish and not recommended. Here is a link to the Windows 7 FAQ:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-faq.aspx

    Here's some pertinent quotes from the FAQ.

    "Yes. While the Windows 7 Beta is stable and has been thoroughly tested, it’s not the finished product. Your computer could crash and you could lose important files. So please don’t beta test Windows on your primary PC."


    "The Windows 7 Beta will stop working on August 1, 2009.

    To continue using your PC, please be prepared to reinstall a prior version of Windows or a subsequent release of Windows 7 before the expiration date."


    Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:19 PM
  • When the expiry date arrives windows 7 will cease to function; however, hopefully, another build will be available by then. Whether or not the build will be made available for 'public consumption' or simly be restricted to MS's beta tester pool no one will know until the new build is released. Either way, like most others have said, you need to prepare for that day and ensure that you have backup copies of anything and everything important that you need to keep.

    John Barnett - Windows XP Associate Expert; Windows Desktop Experience. - Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk; Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org; Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:21 PM
    Answerer
  • Rant
    I'd suggest to quite a lot of people to abandon the idea of beta-testing.
    Too many people posting here, just thought to have found a nice OS without having to pay for it. When I see people UPGRADING their fully operational Vista's (for which they have a license) I'm stumped. They know what they're doing. They know (or at least they should) that they'll be in trouble when the program expires. And they all end up moaning about microsoft. As I said earlier I'm not a fan of Microsoft (although this OS might well change that point of view) but this bashing really goes a bit too far.

    You don't want to test? Don't.
    You wanted to test? Then play the game by the rules. Those rules were clear from the start. You can use and test an operating system. You are NOT paid to do so. When you encounter problems, don't count on a hotline.

    As far as installing new programs is concerned. You can always save your setup programs and reinstall them later. This will have no effects on the already saved documents.

    I really don't see the point of people claming they waste production time. If they are beta-testing, doesn't that mean they already had time to lose?
    End Of Rant

    Regards

    Rem
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:49 PM
  • @egads
     >>Even Vista, which I'm running at this very moment

    Now I'm giggling too. Vista and running in the same phrase.

    Having said that, I didn't aim someone in particular Dude. I ran through different posts and different threads, and the overall sensation you get from that is: a lot of people should stop using computers all together. This not a revival of geeks versus noobs, it's just a matter of common sense.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Seriously peoples---a beta is a beta (read "disposable")

    One should NEVER (read again--NEVER) count on a beta of anything in mission critical, or only solution situations. To run a beta OS as your only operating system is madness, unless you like to lose your data.

    You are not getting a finished product, and the only purposes to running a beta is for the fun of assisting the developer, and the fun of trying something new, evaluating it for your own eventual use as a finished product that you may have had some small part in assisting. As you are not paid to provide feedback, I would not assume a free product in return.

    But you do get to play for free in the geeks sandbox for a while.

    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 9:12 PM
  • I will not complain about the volatility of a beta.  That's what a beta is by definition.

    From my experience, if you want to get a free copy of the release version, or be invited to participate in future beta tests, you have to play nice.

    Don't whine about defects in the product, but provide your share of constructive feedback.

    Follow through when you get requests for additional information.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 10:01 PM
  • arunkshrestha said:

    The beta expires on 1 of August if I remember correctly. Does anyone know what will happen when it expires? Will the OS refuse to boot? I am just asking because I use it as my main OS and would hate to suddenly find that it's been disabled.

    Thanks.



    As Steve Sinofsky's blog from Jan 30 verified, many people are using this beta as their primary OS. Whether this is a good idea or not, people are liking what they see.

    "There’s been such an incredible response, with many folks even blogging about how they have moved to using Windows 7 Beta on all their machines and have been super happy. The question we get most often is “if the Beta expires in August what will I do—I don’t want to return to my old [sic] operating system.” For a Beta release, that is quite a complement and we’re very appreciative of such a kind response."

    Mr Sinofsky makes several references to the Release Candidate being available to at least those running the beta.

    "We will then provide the Release Candidate as a refresh for the Beta. We expect, based on our experience with the Beta, a broad set of folks to be pretty interested in trying it out."

    And...

    "It is worth noting that the Release Candidate will continue to function long enough so no one should worry and everyone should feel free to keep running the Release Candidate."

    What I get from all this is that MS is receiving a lot of feedback in regard to users replacing their old OS with Windows 7 beta, and with all the negative publicity surrounding Vista want to make customers happy. I've had no problems with Vista, and have not stopped using it. I have Win 7 installed on a separate HDD/partition so at any time I can wipe it and reinstall an RC or just wait for the final release.

    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:32 AM
  • ...... and I will be in charge of the free booze for everybody.


    Boyd Gilbert
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:52 AM
  • hudsonart said:

    It is not widely known but when the Windows 7 Beta expires all the people who took part in the trial will be transported, Rapture-like, to Redmond, Washington for an all-expenses-paid weekend of conversation and relaxation as a Thank You from Microsoft. After the weekend we will, again Rapture-like, be transported back home. This will all be made possible by new top-secret Transporter Technology being developed by Bill and company for the DoD.
    This is gonna be great!


    Do I need DCOM enabled for that?
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 3:53 AM