none
Why does SCM (System Control Manager?) - produce so many temp files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm finding on my Win7 64bit there are dozens of small logfiles being generated by SCM - It seems there's an average of about one more created per hour - but it's not an evenly spaced time between them. Inside them there's hiASCII so I don't know what data is being stored. I'm cleaning them up - but they're continually being regenerated.

As they're only a 1kb filesize but if I don't clean up for a few days there's quite a lot of them leftover in the path "C:\windows\System32\Logfiles\scm" 

On a win7 32bit there's a similar behaviour occurring.

My Vista 32bit only seems to produce a couple of them per day, but these range in size from 448k to 1.2Mb - with many system services being recorded there.

Is there some way to allow SCM to do whatever it does - but without generating all these logfiles?

Thanks, pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    • Edited by pkn2011 Friday, August 5, 2011 5:52 AM manager?
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like you to know some third party software also will write log into C:\windows\System32\Logfiles\scm. Therefore, it depends on what software you installed.

Check if the following article is helpful.

http://www.geoffchappell.com/viewer.htm?doc=studies/windows/win32/services/scm/events/wpp.htm

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by pkn2011 Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:08 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like you to know some third party software also will write log into C:\windows\System32\Logfiles\scm. Therefore, it depends on what software you installed.

Check if the following article is helpful.

http://www.geoffchappell.com/viewer.htm?doc=studies/windows/win32/services/scm/events/wpp.htm

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by pkn2011 Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:08 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 9:40 AM
  • Hi Niki, you wrote.. "some third party software also will write log into C:\windows\System32\Logfiles\scm. Therefore, it depends on what software you installed. "

Thank you - I suspect the software that might be doing this is a browser extension - McAfee site adviser. I've not determined this for certain - so I'll look into it further using AutoRuns etc, perhaps I can spot where the "write to SCM logs" is occurring. Do you know of any good HEX tools? Perhaps I can see this in the .exe itself..

Regards, Peter

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Monday, August 8, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Did you ever find out what is creating these files in C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Scm\ ?

I'm having the same problem and am suspecting Malware but scans from several anti-malware software always comes up empty.

I've noticed about a dozen or so files keep showing up after I delete them, many within a few hours and every hour or many of the same files get modified with different content.  The files are either 12 bytes or 20 bytes and as you say they are in some sort of hex format such as "€ã•tžÒ    ".

Several of the files that keep getting created and modified (with no extension) are:

eaca24ff-236c-401d-a1e7-b3d5267b8a50

6cf501ba-7c8d-4b45-9e4c-2fbbe17319c4

ac4e5acf-89f7-4220-ba21-81ee183975e2

Etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:07 PM