none
Is Windows update configurable? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts,

Is it possible to configure windows update option like I want to install only "Security" "Critical" update only? I don't want any new features or change my User Interface like the search tool becomes very wide and it occupies my whole taskbar? I want windows updates to be configurable and I want it to fix windows vulnerability only. No any other new features. I want to keep it like a first release but installed all fixed with already-known vulnerabilities. Is it possible?

Sunday, November 17, 2019 1:42 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You can skip feature updates, if you do not want them. This guide will help you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-block-feature-updates-in-windows-10

Please note that skipping feature updates often and staying on outdated version may make your system less secure. It is always advisable to have latest version and updates installed.

Regards.

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

• Marked as answer by dennislee1245 Sunday, November 17, 2019 7:09 AM
    Sunday, November 17, 2019 6:51 AM
  • In Start Search type Gpedit.msc and hit the Enter key.

In the Group Policy Management Editor, go to Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update. Right-click the Configure Automatic Updates setting, and then click Edit

In the Configure Automatic Updates dialog box, select Enable.

Under Options, from the Configure automatic updating list select the most desired option which fits your requirement.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Sunday, November 17, 2019 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can skip feature updates, if you do not want them. This guide will help you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-block-feature-updates-in-windows-10

Please note that skipping feature updates often and staying on outdated version may make your system less secure. It is always advisable to have latest version and updates installed.

Regards.

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Sunday, November 17, 2019 6:51 AM
  • In Start Search type Gpedit.msc and hit the Enter key.

In the Group Policy Management Editor, go to Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update. Right-click the Configure Automatic Updates setting, and then click Edit

In the Configure Automatic Updates dialog box, select Enable.

Under Options, from the Configure automatic updating list select the most desired option which fits your requirement.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Sunday, November 17, 2019 6:52 AM