none
Drive not mapped after reboot RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello:

I searched the related topics and not having much luck finding an answer/solution... as I have to have the LAN manager network authentication set to the most secure level -- contractural requirement.  I have a collection of Windows hosts, NOT in a domain, but there is a DNS sever in the network. 

My mapped drives are wiped out by a reboot.

I tried to do it via command line, e.g.:

net use r: /persistent:yes \\server\audit1 password /user:user

net use s: /persistent:yes \\server\share1 password /user:user

and it maps just fine (just as it does with the UI)... but the mapping does not survive a reboot.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:35 AM

All replies

• It is hard to work in non-domain network in the enterprise.

You must find a way to authenticate on each host in the workgroup. And passwords can be different on each host.

Anyways, you can implement a startup script when your workstation is starting up.

Your script must supply credentials without user intervention.

I have found an example using Powershell

$net = new-object -ComObject WScript.Network
    $net.MapNetworkDrive("r:", "\\romeobox\files", $false, "domain\user", "password")

(Taken from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1530733/powershell-how-to-map-a-network-drive-with-a-different-username-password)

You must of course replace "domain\user" with "server\user"

You may also search on the Internet for the similar vbscript if it feels more comfortable, but Powershell is the way to go.

Good luck

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:19 AM
  • Greetings,

Did you try Manually mapping and make sure you have select "reconnect at logon".

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:59 AM
  • Hi all:

@Les, this used to work on XP without problems.  Upgrading to Windows 7 broke the persistent drive mapping.

@Rondo, manual mapping?  In my original post I mentioned I tried both the UI method and I typed, net use r: /persistent:yes \\server\audit1 password /user:user

is that different from manual mapping?  I don't understand your comment.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Following step to map network drive Manually

- Open Run - > type "\\your server name or IP" (Without quote)- This will show you shared folder

- Right click on shared folder which one you want to map and select map network drive.

- And select any drive letter from A to Z.

- Select "Reconnect at logon" and click finish.

This will connect your drive automatically on every time you login.

Thanks.

• Edited by Roundo Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:11 AM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:10 AM
  • Hi,

You may use a login script that maps the drive as a workaround.

Here is another thread which discusses the similar issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/10a47ea7-9ee4-49ff-9a00-f014bc7c623c

Hope it helps.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:45 AM
  • I would prefer to find the solution since this was working once rather than using a logon script as a workaround.
    Monday, February 25, 2013 4:21 AM
  • What in the world are you talking about?  Please go back and read my original post.  I've checked the box and I've used the command line argument to make it persistent.  Your post tells me to do the same thing I have already done.  Furthermore, generally manual operations mean command line.
    Monday, February 25, 2013 4:25 AM