none
Startup Repair and System Restore Fail.

Question

• Hello,

My computer freezes up as the windows logo comes up, then I see the blue screen of death pop up. Startup Repair cannot repair my computer automatically, and system restore will not work even if I try to restore the computer factory settings. This happened after I attempted to delete a svchost.exe file and restarted my computer. Please help. Here is the problem signature.

Problem Event Name:   StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01:  6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02:  6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03:  unknown

Problem Signature 04:  21200717

Problem Signature 05:  AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06:  3

Problem Signature 07:  FailureDuringSetup

OS Version:                   6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID:                      1033

Please help me.

Thanks,

Kevin

Saturday, September 03, 2011 8:57 PM

Answers

• You will need to reinstall the OS.

ps. Don't delete svchost.exe again.  It provides essential services for the OS.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | Twitter: @Rich_Prescott | Client System Administration toolkit (Powershell GUI)
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 9:18 PM
  • SVCHost is not a trojan.  scvhost is a common virus/trojan that is found and because of the similarity in spelling to svchost, can be confusing sometimes.  If you are infected with a virus, most of the time it is better to reinstall your OS than to try and clean the virus.  You can never be sure that it was fully cleaned.

I do not know what anti-virus program you are currently using, but I would recommend Microsoft's Security Essentials.  It is free, does not use many resources and does a good job with virus protection.

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration toolkit
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:45 PM

All replies

• You will need to reinstall the OS.

ps. Don't delete svchost.exe again.  It provides essential services for the OS.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | Twitter: @Rich_Prescott | Client System Administration toolkit (Powershell GUI)
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 9:18 PM
  • The svchost.exe file was considered a trojan by my antivirus program, but the av couldn't remove it. Therefore, I tried to manually remove it. If the problem comes up again. How will I remove the trojan?
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:36 PM
  • SVCHost is not a trojan.  scvhost is a common virus/trojan that is found and because of the similarity in spelling to svchost, can be confusing sometimes.  If you are infected with a virus, most of the time it is better to reinstall your OS than to try and clean the virus.  You can never be sure that it was fully cleaned.

I do not know what anti-virus program you are currently using, but I would recommend Microsoft's Security Essentials.  It is free, does not use many resources and does a good job with virus protection.

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration toolkit
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification. However, I used Malwarebytes to scan the svchost.exe file, and Malwarebytes said that it was a trojan. The antivirus also blocked the svchost.exe file from accessing potentially dangerous sites on the internet.

Anyways, I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, which comes with Dell's special backup program. Using that program, I attempted to revert back to factory settings, however, the computer got part way to the windows logo and froze. The startup repair diagnosis was that there was a failure during the setup process. Is there anyway to fix the computer manually without reinstalling the OS from an installation disk (the laptop didn't come with one because Dell provided the back up program)?

Sunday, September 04, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification. However, I used Malwarebytes to scan the svchost.exe file, and Malwarebytes said that it was a trojan. The antivirus also blocked the svchost.exe file from accessing potentially dangerous sites on the internet.

Anyways, I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, which comes with Dell's special backup program. Using that program, I attempted to revert back to factory settings, however, the computer got part w

Sunday, September 04, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Also, the Problem Signature 04 changed to 314 instead of 21200717

Sunday, September 04, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Whether it was a trojan or not, if svchost.exe is deleted/infected, I would highly recommend a reinstall of your OS as I stated above.

Monday, September 05, 2011 5:18 AM