none
Unable to find the default edit form for list - SPO MODERN RRS feed

• Question

• HI

After migrating content to SPO Modern using ShareGate, when a user tries to edit items in a list the following error is displayed:

Unable to find the default edit form for list *****

Following is what I've tried:

{mylist}/Forms/EditForm.aspx

Don't get an error but don't get anything displayed

Been to form settings in the list to see if I can change it to the default SharePoint form, but I get the following message rather then any choice:

InfoPath does not support customizing the form used for this list

Any ideas?

Monday, October 21, 2019 11:55 AM

All replies

• Hi G99,

This indicates that your forms become corrupted or deleted after SharePoint lists were migrated to SharePoint Online. 

To solve the issue, refer to the following articles. 

SharePoint Online List Error – Unable to find the default display form for list for your reference:

https://o365knowledgeshare.wordpress.com/2018/10/16/sharepoint-online-list-error-unable-to-find-the-default-display-form-for-list/

Unable to find the default new or edit form for list/ document library in SharePoint for your reference:

http://simpledotnetworld.blogspot.com/2017/01/unable-to-find-default-new-or-edit-form.html

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 1:40 AM
  • I would suggest you setup a replica list manually, i.e. create columns and content types to accommodate for the data. Then run the migration with Sharegate from the corrupted to the replica list, but content mode only, it should be fine. 
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 12:55 PM
  • Although this works, the User expernice seems to change, and editing or viewing the item does not show up in a modern look, on the right side of the page, rather another page opens and looks very much like old SP.

I tried to edit the EditForm.aspx with the correct code, but when i tried to save the form, it wouldnt save:

Re-doing all the coloumns and content types is a big task as as the migration of the content across the multiple doc libs is days worth of work

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:19 PM
  • The solution is to uncheck this option when configuring the migration task:

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:05 AM
  • HI yes you are right and i've seen that before your post.... although i wont get the views across, but the issue i really cannot afford to re-do the migrations... and was hoping there was a fix for this problem
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:13 AM
  • In fact there is (at least supposedly).

You have to use SharePoint designer and follow the instructions as outlined here: 

http://sptrac.com/wordpress/?p=3970

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:08 PM
  • HI

Yes this is the same set of instructions (different URL) provided by Lisa.

I cannot get it to work. I have  deleted the old EditForm.aspx, created a new EditForm.aspx and opened it in edit advanced mode, created a new doc lib via SPD, copied all the content from EditForm.aspx into this nearly created EditForm.aspx changed the list name and list ID to match the non working document library, clicked save and i get the following error:

Server error: The URL *****/Forms/EditForm.aspx is invalid. It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder, or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current Web.

Any ideas how i get passed this?

Thanks

Thursday, October 24, 2019 8:06 AM