none
Windows 7; Cisco PEAP Module

Question

• Running Vista Home Prem32Bit....will Upgrade to Windows7 32BIT
    >
    > Ran Microsoft's Windows 7 Advisor....the Report shows under the PROGRAM section, Cisco PEAP MODULE 1.0.13 is not compatible.  It shows update is available and when you click on it you go to a Cisco Site....but I couldn't find the download, for that matter, any downloads.  I have tried to get help from CISCO, it is impossible.  All I wanted was the link to download the Update and all they wanted was a contract number....   I,m not even sure I know what this program does...it may be the wireless Password Security???  

It should not be this difficult, I need to update Cisco PEAP Mpodule (my current ver 1.0.13) and I have spent many hours at the Cisco site and Internet searches and have been unable to find the download that will update Cisco PEAP Module to a version that is Compatible with Windows 7.

Hopefully someone else has been sucessful and has located the site where I can download and install the Update.........

The other issue is under Hardware.  My Wireless Card shows NO compatibilty information with a "?" mark under the 32BIT report, and under the 64Bit report it shows the same Card as Compatible. 
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi! I got no answer from Dell yet and no helpful answer from Cisco.

But this is what I found out in the meantime - in simple words:
    • Most of us run their WLAN with the WPA(-Personal) or WPA2(-Personal) protocol. This is good for use at home or in small networks.
    • And there is WPA- and WPA2-Enterprise for use in companies; PEAP is an authentication type of this protocol.

So just check in Windows the preferences of your WLAN. And when you just use the security protocols for home networks then you (resp. Windows) don't need the PEAP Module. 

And this works for Dell (I have a Dell Laptop with Dell WLAN card; maybe its similar for other users): If you use the WPA(2)-Enterprise protocol with PEAP (or just want to be extra save :-)) you can download the latest driver for your WLAN card from Dell - this includes the FAST/LEAP/PEAP Modules! I have not installed it, but the PEAP module should be version 1.1.

So I think, for most of us there is NO need for action. I will just upgrade to Windows 7 and let the PEAP version 1.0.13 like it is.

I hope this was helpful for you!

But there is of course no guaranty. :-)
    Monday, October 26, 2009 10:46 PM

All replies

• same issue with win 7 advisor. spent an hour or so and still could not find an answer
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Same for me.   Microsoft's link in the Win7 Compatibility Center takes you to some webpage for this, but not a place to download the software.

So do I dare install 7?  I think not at this time.

Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:10 AM
  • Yes! I have exactly the same problem. I have done all I was instructed to prepare for Windows 7 installation. This is the only thing in the way. One reply I got recommended I go to the Dell website. . . . .so I did and I still got directed to that info site. No one seems to know just how or where to find this, and I simply cannot take the risk of running the upgrade. . .unless I just uninstall this thing for now.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:25 AM
  • I have the same problem.

so far thats about a thousand dollars microsoft has missed out on.  From just us 5 people here looking for the solution before hand.

that right there is reason enough (pays for itself)  to higher somone to find out the solution here.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:36 AM
  • bump
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:03 AM
  • Maybe I've overreacted. It's not like I would go everywhere with my laptop. These modules obviously came by default when I first got Dell. I figure this is mainly for business use, and if you can't find a download site you can always try to buy it somewhere. This probably is something one can do without unless one works his or her business online.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:13 AM
  • This post is in error:
    Chill you guys.  Version 1.0.13 is compatible.  Look:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Cisco%20LEAP%20Module&v=Cisco&uid=1&pf=0&pi=1&s=PEAP%20Module%201.0.13&os=64-bit
    ~~~Liandre
    • Edited by Liandre13 Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:10 AM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Ok, I see. But it's for the 64-bit version. I just have 32-bit. Does that make any difference?
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:07 AM
  • This post is in error:

There was a tab at the site I posted for the 32 bit, I should have posted links for both, sorry.  Yes, you are compatible!!!  Yeyyyy!!!  I urge anybody reading this post to put the address for the Windows Compatibility site (below) in your favorites.  It is constantly being updated and it helps to take a lot of confusion out of migrating to a new OS.  You can type in any program you might have and see if it's compatible.  I even found Incredimail there.  If you have a program thats not on the list you can type it in and check back later.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Have fun with in upgrade land!  :) ~~~Liandre

Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:23 AM
  • Thank you for your reply and link.  I was really hopeful we all finally had the answer we needed.  However, if you type in Cisco PEAP 1.0.13....the site does show ver 1. is Compatible for Windows 7 32 Bit.  But, when you click on PEAP ver 1, the next page shows its ver 1.1 that is the compatible version.  That is the version I have been searching for its download and have not been sucessful to date.  Cisco has so far has not been willing to assist me......
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:00 PM
  • The Link you supplied was for the LEAP Module......when I raun the advisor, the LEAP Module is OK, its compatible, its the PEAP Module which is not.  These are 2 different pieces of software and both the PEAP and LEAP modules are listed in P&F...so this is not a misspelling...they are 2 different pcs of software.   Hopefully all working on this issue...the download for PEAP 1.1 will be found.  Thanks 
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Hi! I own a Dell laptop and have exactly the same problem. This is really annoying! I wrote an e-mail to Cisco and Dell here in Germany, yesterday. Hopefully I'll get an answer ...  I will let you know! 

Another thought: Is there really a version 1.1 ...? Or is it just a typo in some database ...

Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Ooops!  I did  put PEAP in the search, but then it says LEAP.  Sorry. I will keep trying. ~~~Liandre

Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:30 PM
  • I'm encountering the same issue (purchased Windows 7 Upgrade, Dell Lap, running 32 Bit Vista) but am also unsure about what to do .

My question  is what does the Cisco PEAP module actually do anyway? Will it matter if I go ahaed and install Windows 7 and lose suport of the Module?

Anywone know? Thanks.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:21 PM
  • From what I have found searching on the web, this PEAP module is a wireless adapter, probably to use if you're traveling and you wish to find a quick connection. Yes, I was going crazy trying to find the updated version and was always directed to the Cisco page. I did realize that the LEAP (a predecessor to PEAP) module is compatible with Windows 7 and the only logical thing I did was to simply uninstall the PEAP module. After that my installation went as smooth as it possibly could. This must be a minor thing that obviously isn't going to undermine my laptop's performance. We can just relax and know there is at least one module compatible with Windows 7. I guess it is OK to remove that one thing.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:19 AM
  • I have meant to reply. I just threw my luck and uninstalled the PEAP module and went on to upgrade to Windows 7 as painless as it was possible. Hopefully it will appear for downloading very soon. We will find it!
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:23 AM
  • I just uninstalled the PEAP module as the LEAP module was compatible. WIndows 7 was upgraded with virtually no trouble. I know they'll make sure it will be made available prety soon.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:25 AM
  • Can someone confirm that the wireless connection is still working after removing the cisco peap module.i want to install windows 7 and am not sure it is going to work.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Hi Guys

I had the same issue on my dell laptop with win 7 advisor recommending Cisco PEAP module 1.0.13 needs updating. I did not uninstall PEAP module, but went ahead with the win 7 installation anyway and it was a pleasant experience. In about 2 hours my system was upgraded to windows 7 and all my files are intact and my computer connected to the internet via WI-FI flawlessly and have no issues since then. I am not sure what's the PEAP module is for.finally i did custom installation over vista

good luck and hope this helps
    Monday, October 26, 2009 11:53 AM
  • Thank You.  I looked all over for nearly 2 hours trying to find a download for PEAP 1.1 and could only find one that dead ended at the Cisco site.  The download site might have worked at one time. The download page flashes on and is immediately redirected to the Cisco homepage.  I even tried to buy the module from Cisco with no luck.  I am leaving my PEAP 1.0.13 and crossing my fingers.  Anybody else successful with their installations with the old PEAP module?  It would make me feel better. : ) ~~~Liandre
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Hi! I got no answer from Dell yet and no helpful answer from Cisco.

But this is what I found out in the meantime - in simple words:
    • Most of us run their WLAN with the WPA(-Personal) or WPA2(-Personal) protocol. This is good for use at home or in small networks.
    • And there is WPA- and WPA2-Enterprise for use in companies; PEAP is an authentication type of this protocol.

So just check in Windows the preferences of your WLAN. And when you just use the security protocols for home networks then you (resp. Windows) don't need the PEAP Module. 

And this works for Dell (I have a Dell Laptop with Dell WLAN card; maybe its similar for other users): If you use the WPA(2)-Enterprise protocol with PEAP (or just want to be extra save :-)) you can download the latest driver for your WLAN card from Dell - this includes the FAST/LEAP/PEAP Modules! I have not installed it, but the PEAP module should be version 1.1.

So I think, for most of us there is NO need for action. I will just upgrade to Windows 7 and let the PEAP version 1.0.13 like it is.

I hope this was helpful for you!

But there is of course no guaranty. :-)
    Monday, October 26, 2009 10:46 PM
  • I have the Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini Card.  It doesn't look like I'll be PEAP-ing any time soon.  I will just take your advice and do nothing.  LOL!!  Thanks bunches!  Great advice. ~~~Liandre
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:09 AM
  • That's what i did. I did not install /uninstall anything, the custom upgrade to win 7 was smooth and flawless. My wi-fi worked with no glitches.  Good luck
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:40 AM
  • I have same issue with Upgrade Advisor and Cisco PEAP Module Version 1.0.13 Update. I don't know were to find Update or what to do. Upgrade Advisor has Cisco site to go to but I can't find solution there or Cisco Support Search doesn't help.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:37 AM
  • I had the same problem. Cisco PEAP is a device needed for a network but is not needed in windows seven. I uninstalled the Cisco PEAP and then installed windows seven and everything workes fine.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 7:30 AM
  • Thanks!!!!!!!!
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:50 AM
  • Question; My Window 7 Adisor Report in addition to showing PEAP requiring Update, it also shows a "?" mark for the "Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card".  You wrote you perfromed the Windows 7 Upgrade (32bit) without deleting PEAP and have not experienced any isuues...is that still True?  Did your Dell Laptopm have the same Wireless card as mine and did your Advisor Report also show the "?" mark for the card?  Basically the report reads it has no information on the Card?  If your Report did show the same issue with the Card, and your Upgrade went OK....seems I would be good to perform my Upgrade....... 
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Where did you find the download at Dell?  I have been to the Dell Download page for my 1525 Laptop and it shows the same driver I have installed for my LAN acrd...and my PEAP VER IS 1.0.13. Also, when I ran the Windows 7 Advisor Report my Network card "Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card" showed as "?"....there was No Capatibilty for the Card.  Was this so with your dell?
    Monday, November 02, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Where did you find the download at Dell?  I have been to the Dell Download page for my 1525 Laptop and it shows the same driver I have installed for my LAN acrd...and my PEAP VER IS 1.0.13. Also, when I ran the Windows 7 Advisor Report my Network card "Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card" showed as "?"....there was No Capatibilty for the Card.  Was this so with your dell?
    Hi! I have a Dell Laptop Studio 1537 with a Dell Wireless 1510 Mini-Card. But I have not installed the latest driver because my WLAN runs perfect and I see no problem updating with the old driver incl. PEAP v. 1.0.13. So I can not confirm that the latest driver for my card includes PEAP v. 1.1, but it could be.

The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor says that the 1510 card is compatible.

I haven't upgraded to Windows 7 yet because I need some more time for this. Sorry for not having more info for you.

Monday, November 02, 2009 8:17 PM
  • I had the same issue. I uninstalled the Cisco PEAP MODULE 1.0.13 and performed the upgrade to Windows 7. After the update finished I installed the latest Windows 7 Wireless Network driver for my computer (Alienware M17x) which installed the Cisco PEAP MODULE 1.1.6.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Could you be a little more specific for me.  Where did you get the driver form?  Dell site?  Microsoft site?  Can you provide the URL?  I am using a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop......

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:34 PM
  • OK, I know sometimes drivers can be hard to find. The following was my process to find the driver that reinstalled Cisco PEAP MODULE 1.1.6.

I went to "dell.com", at the bottom of the page you will find the heading "Support", under this heading there is a link labeled "Drivers & Downloads" that will take you to this page where you can enter your Dell Service Tag or search by model to find the drivers for your computer.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:24 PM
  • Apparently you were lucky.....I went to the Dell site for my 1525 and it still only shows drivers for Vista.....and the one shown is the one I have currently installed.  I am very unhappy with Dell, it just seems to me Dell took the position not to make Driver updates available for Windows 7....in hopes maybe, that the customer would simply purchase a new Laptop with Windows 7.  I was hoping you were referring to a Windows naive driver, part of Windows 7, that you installed that gave you the update.  I have exchnaged several Support e-mails with Dell and all I get is, your Laptop was built with Vista and therefore we don't need to make Window 7 Drivers available 9my Laptop is only 1o months old).  I have also exchnaged emails with CISCO, they are more difficult to get any service from than Microsoft.......    
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:00 PM
  • I got the same message and searched in vain for this update.  Cisco appears to require you to buy a support contract in order to enter its site and download version 1.1 of the PEAP module.

Never mind that. As someone said below or on another site, the presence of the PEAP 1.0.13 version isn't an obstacle in upgrading to Windows 7 and that proved to be TRUE. 

My first attempt at upgrading to Windows 7 failed and I succeeded on the next try by:

1. Downloading and running the compatibility checking software (CCS)(forget the exact name just now).  I'd skipped that before.
    2. Disconnecting all USB devices and the video connection to my second monitor.
    3. Uninstalling (per recommendation of CCS):
    a. Vista Photo Studio.
    b. Family Tree Maker.
    c. TuneUp utilities program.
    d. Retrospect Backup.
    e. Trend Micro virus checker.

Uninstalling Trend Micro proved to be a pain as I had to download an update version from TM site.  (Thought I had the install software saved from last install but no.)  There was a "known compatibility issues with" Windows 7 when I attempted to reinstall first download.  If you still have a valid subscription you can upgrade to a higher version for free but I didn't notice home page notice that there is an even later verson I could have downloaded that IS COMPATIBLE with Win 7.  Duh.  I go the penultimate version to work ok and, when you're doing dialup, that's good enough for now. 

I think the Windows 7 installation/upgrade software only said disable virus checker software but the CCS said UNINSTALL.  I wonder if just disabling it wouldn't have saved me a load of trouble but given the desirability of getting as pristine an install of something that will be with me for years (I hope) I suppose it was best to err on the side of caution and uninstall.

Having to download new version of Mail (and Photo Studio, later)  is a pain but Mail appears to be an improvement.  It imported most of my old emails and then said import had failed.  It DID successfully import all the message rules I'd created in old version of Mail and that was GOOD since it's a pain extraordinaire to create multiple rules as I do.  I can read old emails in the old folders if I absolutely have to so fine . . . .

It took some four days to back up, run malicious software check, move files, and fiddle with actual installation of the upgrade.  Considerable email had accumulated on my ISP server and downloading that is proceeding at a truly GLACIAL pace.  I hope downloads will be faster after that vast clump of emails is finally downloaded.  We'll see.

Immer mit der hoechste Scnitzelflugelworst!

Richard
    Friday, December 04, 2009 3:30 AM
  • Richard;

Was the CCS program you referred to, the Microsoft Windows 7 Advisor Report software?  It scans your Vista PC and reports compatibilty issues....this is the report that showed the issue with PEAP.  If this wasn't the software, I would appreicate the name of the software used.  I was able to break thru the Cisco Barrier.....I just kept at them and at this time I am waiting to hear back from Cisco who has promised to provide with the link for PEAP 1.1.....

I have upgraded 1 of 2 of my PC's from Vista to W7.  The in-place upgrade on my Desktop seemed to go fine (on the PC that does NOT have this PEAP issue).  My Upgrade on my Desktop completed with issues.  One issue was the TM issue and when I contacted TM they were aware of the issue and directed me to the link to download the W7 version.  I plan to uninstall TM before I upgrade my Laptop....once Cisco gets back to me over the PEAP issue.  My Dsektop following the Upgrade couldn't get an Internet connection, and, at times won't shutdown.  Both these issues are reported by many others following their Upgrade to W7....and I do hope Microsoft will come out with fixes.  I was able to finally connect to the Internet by inserting Static addresses in my Networks Card Driver Properties.  I also installed W7 Upgrade twice...directed to do so by the Microsoft Tech Agent I worked with.....it was his thought a 2nd In-Place Upgrade on the already installed W7 would fix the Internet Connection but it didn't.  Bottomline, I like W7, I'll stay with it, but I have concerns that Microsoft has repeated their failing that took place with the release of Vista.....also with W7.  
    Friday, December 04, 2009 5:13 PM
  • I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit and ran into this problem, i.e. my version of Cisco PEAP MODULE 1.0.13 is not compatible.  How/where do I check out/change my WPA protocols?

Mahalo Mark
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 1:56 AM
  • Good Luck...I have been exchnaging emails with Cisco's tech Unit for the past 7 weeks.  Seems to me if 1.1 was out there in 7 weeks they would have directed me to the Link.  I don't think 1.1 exists as a stand alone download.  I tried several different Network drivers.....that were reported to work with my Network Card and VISTA compatible......and now when I run the Eindow Advisor I don't get the message to Upgrade PEAP.....so I plan to prodeed with my inplace upgrade....and, I have already found another Network Driver for my card that is Windows 7 Compatible.  Bottom line, contact your PC's manufacturer and see if they can point you to another driver version for your card......
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:07 AM
  • I just had a word with Dell folks today from Bangalore for the same issue and they'll be sending a formal request thru' their own team that caters to unresolved but legit pending issues involving third party softwares (likes of Cisco PEAP Module). Since there is no link provided either on Microsoft nor Cisco website, we may need to wait a while till the issue gets highlighted enough to make Cisco & MS take note and provide necessary link for free download to licensed OS keepers. So, if I can suggest, please send such requests to your respective DELL / MS / CISCO offices where this issue gets the 'breaking news' coverage n hopefully we get this Cisco PEAP Module 'up for grabs' for legit users.
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 5:28 AM
  • I just had a word with Dell folks today from Bangalore for the same issue and they'll be sending a formal request thru' their own team that caters to unresolved but legit pending issues involving third party softwares (likes of Cisco PEAP Module). Since there is no link provided either on Microsoft nor Cisco website, we may need to wait a while till the issue gets highlighted enough to make Cisco & MS take note and provide necessary link for free download to licensed OS keepers. So, if I can suggest, please send such requests to your respective DELL / MS / CISCO offices where this issue gets the 'breaking news' coverage n hopefully we get this Cisco PEAP Module 'up for grabs' for legit users.
    I was wondering if the same can be copied from one laptop to another since it is part of the openssl.org ? I have the module in another laptop (Vista) and since the PEAP module isn't a problem for Win7, can I simply copy and install it on the one from which I unistalled it for loading Win7 ?
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:52 PM
  • I started this thread......I worked with dell and got this issue corrected and Updated from Vista to Window7....many months ago.  I had dell send me the driver for my network card for Windows 7.  I decided to install the W7 Driver BEFORE I peformed my In-Place Upgrade from Vista to W7 (32bit)....and then I ran the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibilty program and the Cisco PEAP issue did not surface.  I Upgraded to W7 Home Prem 32bit with no issues.  Apparently the Network Driver for W7 contained the compatible PEAP Version to run under W7..........  I will report that Dell was very reluntant to assist me because I was changing the factory Installed OS...which terminates the Dell Warranty...I argued back that I purchased a Dell because they are built to Update.  As I recall I had to purchase the DW 1505 Network card that fit my 1525 laptop.....and the driver provided was for W7 the DW1505 Card.  However......I didn't like the way the 1505 card ran.....connection issues....so I re-inserted my original 1397 Network Card....but....did not change the driver...and all is well.  I did break thru the solid brick wall of Cisco, I kept getting I needed a Service Contract.....but after 8 or 8 responses suggesting CISCO owed it to their customers to hear me out....they sent me on to tech Support.  What I got from them was......they needed to hear from the manufacturers....and then they would maybe....yes maybe.....look into this further.....so much for Cisco being their for customers......

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Hi denmarfl: That means I should contact Dell despite uninstalling the Cisco PEAP Module from Vista before the upgrade to W7. I am going to refer the point you made on warranty and update/upgrade ... by the way the upgrade to W7 was from Dell itself so it makes sense for Dell to supply the module. Cisco keeps a brick wall thats for sure ... they are not interested in replying or perhaps they have a commercial reason for the same. One thing is sure: If Dell has offered the upgrade to new OS and the Win7 Upgrade Advisor was wrong in placing Cisco PEAP Module under suspicion, then Dell should take the responsibility to provide the missing driver. I, however, can see that 1397 is installed (perhaps a carry forward from Vista itself) and the "update driver" doesn't show any sign that it needs update. I'd still want the Cisco PEAP Module for my new upgraded OS - W7HP(32-Bit) ... fyi, Dell too is acting dumb on this issue as you experienced so lemme try harder this time to get a link for the driver download.

One more query: I do have another Vista laptop with the above module. Is it possible to just copy the program on my pendrive and have it transferred and then installed onto my W7 laptop (the one with the missing module) ? I believe the module is from openssl .. I donno if that allows 'licensed' copying as per my query.

Sunday, August 08, 2010 2:03 PM
  • I know of no way to copy\paste the Peap Module.....it needs an installer file so that it Registers in the Window Registry.  Pasting would not allows Windows to see PEAP.  I would think, if DELL does not provide assistance....that you could do a search at DELL for the W7 1505 Driver, install it.....and see if 1) you connect with this driver with the 1397 card 2) See if it installs PEAP that when you run the Advisor.....it does not flag PEAP as an issue.  If it works, your good to go....if not, you can uninstall the 1505 driver and re-install the 1397 driver....nothing lost..but mybe a victory. 
    Sunday, August 08, 2010 4:09 PM
  • I'll try to toy around with 1505 Driver & then see if the PEAP 'install' pops up from oblivion. Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card shows up on my device manager and I also have the link from Dell for 1397. The Dell Drivers and Download page search shows webpage for 1505 .. http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=us&l=en&cs=19&k=1505+wireless+card&cat=sup&ref=ac  .. the date shows 2008. The Advisor on the other hand leads you to a link to Cisco (from earlier experience) but the link is a dead end Cisco style i.e., brickwall. Moreover, the Advisor is not perfect and holds no responsibility for screwing up warranty from manufacturer which is why Dell must be acting 'duh..ish'. I'll see what I can do.
    Monday, August 09, 2010 5:03 AM
  • I did not download\install the PEAP module that is compatibile with Windows 7..as you foind....it was not available...anywhere.  What I cannot remember if, I uninstalled the Visa PEAP.......but I am thinking I must have because when I Upgraded from Visa to W7...the Advisor showed no issues.  I then must have installed the 1505 Network Card.....and installed the 1505 driver from Dell.  The W7 PEAP was installed....had to be included with the 1505 Driver......because I would not have proceeded to install W7 had there been issues.  I know before I proceeded with the Upgrade to W7...Advisor shoed no issues...and my Upgrade went fine.  
    Monday, August 09, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Yep ... apparently Cisco PEAP Module seems to be exclusive from manufacturer's side. On Dell website, 1505 shows as being compatible only with Vista 32/64. No mention of W7 on the page for 1505 : http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R186730&formatcnt=0&libid=0&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=255403 

I feel Dell can very easily make this module available if they feel like it :-)

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:29 AM
  • This is the driver Dell provided....for the 1505 Card. 

http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R228562&formatcnt=1&libid=0&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=328233

Again, I downloaded this driver, deleted the driver for the 1397 Card...installed this driver......(the 1505 card was installed at the time I installed this driver).  I then ran the Advisor, it showed no issues; it showed the PEAP Module version compatible with W7...and showed it as passed.  I didn't like the way my 1525 Laptop was running with the 1505 card...so I put the 1397 card back in...and it is running fine with the 1505 above driver.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:55 PM
  • Thanks denmarfl for right link to 1505 ... I got the wrong link. So I need to uninstall 1397 first before running the 1505 installation. I have a Dell 1545. Just one question: Did you just simply install 1397 back again after getting the PEAP module from 1505 instal OR did you take any specific measures to ensure there is no conflict. I am not a techie expert but I get things ... hence these doubts. Once bitten twice shy - blame on W7AP .. Lol !! 

1397: The version in my laptop is 5.10.38.26 with release date 10/12/2008 from Broadcom. When I checked on Dell's Drivers and Downloads Page, I came across many links many versions many release dates BUT no mention of Device Provider... like Broadcom .. AND couldn't find my version but I'll keep checking and hopefully find the same Broadcom Driver for 1397. So I need to ask you if I have to seek out for my version only for re-installation OR any version flies for my laptop as long as its the same driver ?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:14 PM
  • The process goes back 11 months....so some of my steps being honest are a little hazy.  In fact, looking at my laptop now, I don't have the 1397 card...I have the 1395 card.  The 1397 card is a mini-card\half card....and the 1397 would not fit in my Dell Inspiron 1525 which required a Full size network card. That is why Dell sent me the Full card...the 1505.  Dell originally sent the 1397 Card to me because its driver was compatible with W7....but again, it would not fit in my Laptop.  Hence they sent me the 1505 (which is g & n) and a full size card. 

I am not certain if I actually Deleted the original driver for the 1395 (Visa)....or, I just installed the 1505 driver I provided the link to in the prior reply....and it replaced the the 1395 Driver.  When Windows installs a new driver it normally saves the OLD driver so you can use the "Roll Back Driver" feature.  I think I recall DELL advised the original 1395 Driver was no longer available because I also wanted to have it before I installed the 1505 driver....as a just in case.  But Dell assured me, as they do so readily, I would have no issues. 

What I do know is, I installed the 1505 Card, I installed the 1505 Driver, Advosr showed the compatible PEAP Module version installed and passed....and then I Upgraded from Visa to W7...with no issues.  I didn't like the way my Laptop ran with the 1505 card...I re-installed the 1395 Card..with the 1505 driver and there have been no issues....and that is what I am running today.  

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Hmm .. Cool!! So I just need to ask one thing now - Do I need Cisco PEAP Module if 1397 is installed ... shouldn't "Update Driver" take care of authentication protocols like Cisco PEAP Modules ?? I think I'll talk to some Dell Dudes beforehand cuz mine is a different model. I'll post my findings asap.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:17 PM
  • Never is a bad idea to get all the info you can from a variety of sources.......I did.  I really think that PEAP was installed with the 1505 driver.  I didn't install the PEAP Module so it had to come with the driver.........after I installed the 1505 driver...and ran Advisor.....the Advisor Report showed the PEAP Module version that is compatible with W7 (the newer version no one has been able to find to download)...and it showed it with the green checkmark. I then proceeded with the Upgrade.....  From what I read about the PEAP Module, it enhances Security...and from that I felt it was a necessity.  Keep in mind...that when I looked at the compatibilty of the 1505 Card and its driver....neither showed it compatible with my Inspiron 1525...
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:50 PM