none
LODCTR /R seems to have lost lots of explain text RRS feed

• Question

• Running Windows 10 Pro Version 1607. I consistently get a handful of PerfMon errors in the log.

I ran LODCTR /S:<filename1> to first save the settings and explain text.

Next I ran LODCTR /R to rebuild. First time it failed for .NET but second try succeeded (as reported by other).

I then ran LODCTR /S:<filename2> to save the new stuff.

The size of the saved file before running the rebuild option is 8,740 KB. The size of the saved file after the rebuild is 817 KB. A lot of stuff in the text area is not there.

Before:
    Perflib]
    Base Index=1847
    Last Counter=84104
    Last Help=84105

After:
    [Perflib]
    Base Index=1847
    Last Counter=7838
    Last Help=7839

Also, the following are no longer there:
    [PERF_.NET CLR Data]
    [PERF_.NET CLR Networking]
    [PERF_.NET Data Provider for Oracle]
    [PERF_.NET Data Provider for SqlServer]
    [PERF_.NETFramework]

Can someone explain why that would be and what it means. Should I run LODCTR /R:<filename1> to put it back as it was?

• Edited by AZBruno Wednesday, August 2, 2017 6:49 PM
    Wednesday, August 2, 2017 6:15 PM

All replies

• Hi AZBruno,

When you use the Performance Monitor tool, some counters may be missing or do not contain counter data. The performance counter libraries may become corrupted and need to be rebuilt.

Stop and restart the Performance Logs and Alerts service. 
    Stop and restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service.

Create a new Data Collector Set (do not use an existing Data Collector Set).

Sometimes, running lodctr /R may not recover all counters. If you notice this happening, verify the file c:\windows\system32\PerfStringBackup.INI contains the proper information. You may be able to copy this file from an identical machine in order to restore the counters. There may be slight differences in this file from machine to machine, but if you notice a drastic difference in size, it may be missing information. Always create a backup copy before replacing, and there is no guarantee that copying this file from another machine will restore all counters. If possible, compare the file to backups of the machine to see if the file size has decreased at some point in time.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 3, 2017 9:00 AM
  • Hi Carl,

I found that the PerfStringBackup.INI file was modified this morning and now is very similar to my saved file from after running the lodctr /R command.

I created a user defined Data Collector Set, but I'm not understanding why you suggest that or how that will ineract.

As for restoring the counters, what would happen if I did a lodctr /R:<filename1>, being the large backup created before I did the restore. Would that be problematic?

Alternatively, I could bring in the PerfStringBackup.INI file from my nightly backup before the change and run lodctr /R:PerfStringBackup.INI. Or do I only need to copy it to the System32 folder? I just don't want to mess anything up.

FYI, I never use the Performance Monitor. I just wanted to get annoying errors out of the event log.

Thanks.

Thursday, August 3, 2017 4:04 PM
  • Hi AZBruno,

Please refer to the link below check if it is helpful.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/300956/how-to-manually-rebuild-performance-counter-library-values

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 14, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Hi Carl,

I'd seen that. What I ended up doing is running LODCT /R:<filename1> to reload from the counters I'd saved before doing the reset. That went fine.

I also managed to find out that the PerLib errors only occurred when I started up a specific application on my machine (i.e. Fidelity ActiveTraderPro). I had previously thought it might have been related to one of the Windows scheduled tasks.

I am now just ignoring the errors.

Monday, August 14, 2017 3:55 PM
  • Hi AZBruno,

Thank you for your update.

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,

Carl

Friday, August 18, 2017 10:02 AM