none
Time sync with Domain Controller

Question

• With Windowsxp nothing has to be done to sync the W7 clients with the Windows Server 2003 Time Server.
    Now we are deploying W7 images with MDT2010.
    The problem is that the w32time service is running after deployment but he does not automatically syncing the time with the domain controller. When i start w32tm (i get a access denied error) under administrator \query \source it says local time sync.

I have tried several things to automate the syncing with the time server in our domain but it does not work easely. Ater some restarting it is working.
    I would like to know however how to automate w32time that is is syncing with the time server in our domain.
    Search the Internet and came at the following commands but there must be 2 restarts between the commands, which is not easaly to build in a batchfile what i am doiing:

w32tm /debug /disabled
    restart system
    w32tm /register
    restart system
    w32tm /resync
    Now the \query \source is giving the domain controller back as time provider.

The restarts are nessesairy because otherwise i can't start the service with net start w32time.

Isn't there a easyer way to get w32time back on the rails...

freddie
    Monday, November 21, 2011 3:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• w32tm /config /update /syncfromflags:DOMHIER

That tells the computer to since from the domain hierarchy (DCs) and to update itself.
    Rich Prescott | Infrastructure Architect, Windows Engineer and PowerShell blogger | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    Client System Administration tool
    AD User Creation tool

• Edited by Rich Prescott Monday, November 21, 2011 4:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by surfer10 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:13 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 4:05 PM
  • "surfer10" wrote in message news:a3fc0a6b-c1ab-43cb-9dc2-65598ba8ea10...

With Windowsxp nothing has to be done to sync the W7 clients with the Windows Server 2003 Time Server.
    Now we are deploying W7 images with MDT2010.
    The problem is that the w32time service is running after deployment but he does not automatically syncing the time with the domain controller. When i start w32tm (i get a access denied error) under administrator \query \source it says local time sync.

I have tried several things to automate the syncing with the time server in our domain but it does not work easely. Ater some restarting it is working.
    I would like to know however how to automate w32time that is is syncing with the time server in our domain.
    Search the Internet and came at the following commands but there must be 2 restarts between the commands, which is not easaly to build in a batchfile what i am doiing:

w32tm /debug /disabled
    restart system
    w32tm /register
    restart system
    w32tm /resync
    Now the \query \source is giving the domain controller back as time provider.

The restarts are nessesairy because otherwise i can't start the service with net start w32time.

Isn't there a easyer way to get w32time back on the rails...

freddie

(bear in mind i know nothing about AD<g>)
    looking at the w32tm help, surely the command you need is
    w32tm /config /syncfromflags:DOMHIER

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, November 21, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Thanks, the w32tm /config /update /syncfromflags:domhier did the job. The /update was nessesairy

freddie
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:13 AM