none
After upgrade Windows 10 stuck on blue screen with circle of spinning dots? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to help out my uncle with this problem, apparently (according to him) his computer (an HP Pavillion) upgraded to Windows 10 without really asking him if he wanted it and it appeared to complete but when it eventually rebooted the computer gets a blue screen with the Windows logo and a spinning circle of dots for about a minute and then goes to a blue screen with just the circle of spinning dots and it's been left like that for almost a day and it never seems to complete what it's working on.

When it's like that, you can press the power button and it will turn itself off but when you turn it on again the same thing just keeps happening. I've tried a number of things like making a Windows 10 boot DVD and trying "Startup Repair" but it says "Unable to repair this PC", I've also tried to restore to the only available restore point but it just gives me an error like "An error occurred during restore", same thing with Restore to Previous Build it just throws an error.

I also tried booting to the DVD and opening a command prompt and I found a web page that said by entering this command "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy" that on the next reboot it would do a safe mode boot but upon reboot I just got the same problem.

Is there any way to fix this? Ideas?

• Edited by NormAtHome Friday, April 1, 2016 3:44 AM misspelling
    Friday, April 1, 2016 3:41 AM

Answers

• MeipoXu:

I'm sorry to say that the hard drive fails the short diagnostic test and it appears to be failing, I'm now pretty sure that's what caused the Windows 10 upgrade to fail despite the fact that the computer was in apparent good working order when the upgrade started.

I'm still able to read data off of the boot partition so I'm in the process of backing up the data and I've ordered a new hard drive and set of recovery media for the computer. So I'm just going to have to do a complete re-installation of the operating system and all the programs and then restore the data.

Thanks for the help!

• Marked as answer by NormAtHome Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:05 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:04 AM

All replies

• If you able to open command prompt and then try run:

sfc /scannow

And see what is the result?

Friday, April 1, 2016 3:26 PM
  • "Beginning verification phase of system scan"
    "Verification 100% Complete"

"Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

Last night after I tried the command prompt method for booting to safe mode and the computer had been running for a couple hours it actually got a little farther to the dark blue screen (with a picture of a window on the right and light shining through) with the users name and the outline of where a users profile photo would be if there was one but still the spinning circle of dots. I left it like that all last night and afternoon until just now when I shot it down to boot from the DVD to try and run sfc.

Ideas?
    Friday, April 1, 2016 9:11 PM
  • Well from an admin command prompt try;

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

This page System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot (guide by Team ZigZag) for further info on that.

Beyond that to me would backing up the user data off the machine and doing a clean install. Check to see if this model of HP Pavillion is listed as Windows 10 compatible before deciding what OS to install. 

Friday, April 1, 2016 11:15 PM
  • This is what I got:

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version 10.0.10586.0

Error: 50

DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option

This is probably happening because I'm booting from the DVD and getting a command prompt from there. I'll see if I can get a command prompt when the computer is stalled and try both sfc and dism again.

Saturday, April 2, 2016 4:14 AM
  • Hi NormAtHome,

What is your machine model?

Before we do the upgrade to Windows 10, please ensure the device manufacturer website has released the Windows 10 compatible drivers for you model machine.

Please unplug all the external devices to have a troubleshoot.

If it is available to boot into safe mode, we could try to run "sfc /scannow" or "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" in safe mode environment.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 4, 2016 2:28 AM
  • MeipoXu:

It's an HP Pavillion P6250t.

In regards to "Before we do the upgrade to Windows 10, please ensure the device manufacturer website has released the Windows 10 compatible drivers for you model machine" I can only assume that the readiness / compatibility tool ran and cleared the computer as Windows 10 compatible. I've seen one other machine (not this one) that the readiness / compatibility tool reported that the video card was too old and to upgrade it and I did that and reran the readiness / compatibility tool and the computer was then cleared for the Windows 10 upgrade. So Microsoft's own readiness / compatibility tool cleared this computer for the upgrade before the computer went ahead and did it without the owners permission.

I've been working on it in my office and the only things plugged into the computer are the keyboard and mouse, monitor and power so not even an Ethernet cable.

As I've said in my previous messages, I'm not able to start the computer in safe mode; I posted the results of running SFC and DISM from a command prompt after booting from a Windows 10 DVD and going to a command prompt from there. I also tried to use the command "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy" from the DVD boot command prompt which I hoped would start the computer in safe mode but it didn't seem to work. Is there any way to start Windows 10 in safe mode or get the option by using the keyboard like you used to be able to do in Windows XP / 7?

Monday, April 4, 2016 3:44 AM
    • Edited by JS2010 Monday, April 4, 2016 3:20 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2016 3:20 PM
  • JS2010:

I have a computer with a hard drive dock, I took the hard drive out of the computer and put it in the dock and I can access the operating system partition on hard drive.

I looked in the $Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther directory and there are no log files in there only a single file called SysResetTrace-Tel-Merge.etl

I can search the drive but what log file is it exactly that I'm looking for? seterr.log or setupact.log or something else?

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 2:54 AM
  • Hi NormAtHome,

I have checked the HP website for your machine model and I didn`t find any Windows 10 drivers for your model. The compatibility tool`s information is not enough. To make a device work well, we should get compatible drivers, the drivers are released by the device manufacturer.
    HP Pavilion p6250t CTO Desktop PC
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-p6000-Desktop-PC-series/3999459/model/4065787

"Is there any way to start Windows 10 in safe mode "
    Boot from a Windows 10 installation media, choose "Repair my machine", "Troubleshoot", "Advanced", "Startup options" , "Safe mode", restart to boo into safe mode.
    If it is not available to boo into safe mode, there may be a hardware issue. Try to clear your memory stick.

It is not recommended to upgrade to Windows 10 until the device manufacturer has released the Windows 10 compatible driver for your model machine.

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 2:55 AM
  • MeipoXu:

Look, the Windows 10 upgrade went by itself because the readiness tool said this machine was Windows 10 compatible; if it shouldn't have done that then it's Microsoft's fault the machine is in the state that it is. There's no way for me to get Windows 10 drivers and install them if the machine gets stuck before getting to the desktop. Like I've said previously, I get as far as a screen like this:

I see the background, the grey circle with the outline of a person (the username Joe in place of Other User) and a spinning circles of dots and nothing else. I've left it on that screen for over 16 hours and the hard drive light flashes, sometimes more and sometimes less but it never gets past there.

In regard to "It is not recommended to upgrade to Windows 10 until the device manufacturer has released the Windows 10 compatible driver for your model machine", seriously? When the readiness tool runs and says the computer is Windows 10 compatible and the upgrade runs by itself without the user approving it what chance do they have or how would the average user even know where to look for Windows 10 drivers and how would you even install them before the Windows 10 upgrade runs? Really, that statement is ridiculous on the face of it and asks way too much of 50-60 year old people who only know how to browse the web, shop online and use Quicken.

I have booted from the DVD and when I get to "Repair my machine", Troubleshoot", "Advanced" the option for "Startup Settings" is missing so there's no way to set the computer to boot to Safe Mode from the DVD. Is there a reason why I'm not getting that option? I made the DVD from the Windows 10 media creation tool, do I have the right DVD? Do I need a retail copy?

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 3:46 AM
  • Hi NormAtHome,

According to the screenshot(you got logon UI), it seems that you have upgraded to Windows 10 successfully.

The main issue is that you could input the username and password but the machine will be stuck on the logon process, right? Have you got other accounts on the machine? If you got other accounts on the machine, we could try the other account.

Try this method to boot into safe mode:
    Keep pressing "Shift", restart the machine (click "power" on the logon UI). You will boot into Windows Recover Environment. Then choose "Troubleshoot", "Advanced", "Start-up Settings".
    If it is available to boot into safe mode, we could try to create a new account in safe mode then logon with that account to have a troubleshoot. In addition, try to configure clean boot in safe mode to have a test.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If the issue persists, we could try to boot from the Windows 10 installation media and choose an "Upgrade" install to perform a in-place upgrade repair. Please note that some desktop applications will be removed during the process but it won`t affect your personal data and configurations.

You`d better confirm with the HP support whether your machine model has been tested with Windows 10.

Best regards

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:53 AM
  • MeipoXu:

As far as I know, my Uncle Joe has said that the computer has no password and that there is only a single account on the computer that he and his wife use so it shouldn't ask. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've taken the hard drive out and used a hard drive dock on one of my other computers to examine the hard drive and in the Users directory there are these directories:

• All Users
    • AppData
    • Default User
    • Default.migrated
    • DefaultAppPool
    • Joe
    • LogMeInRemoteUser
    • Public

Just to be clear, I get to the "Login UI" as you call it but there is no password prompt and there are no other visible controls like the power icon; just the background, the grey circle with the person outline, the username Joe and the spinning circle of dots. When the computer is in this state (as I said in my very first post) it will respond to the physical power button and turn itself off. So I'll try and hold the shift key and then press the physical power button and see if on restart I can get into the Windows Recovery Environment. If I can, I'll try some of your suggestions and get back to you with the results.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 5:22 AM
  • MeipoXu:

When I held the shift key and pressed the power button the computer shut down, when I went to start again I believe that it attempted to go into safe mode but failed. I got this screen for a few minutes before it rebooted and went back to normal:

Windows Boot Manager, Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer, This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as a hard drive or CD-Rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer. If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer. File: \Boot\BCD Status: 0xc00000e9 Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

I'm going to take the hard drive out of the computer and attach it to one of my own as a secondary drive and test it using the Western Digital diagnostics (the internal hard drive is a Western Digital Blue) in the event that the drive is actually failing and that is what caused the failure of the Windows 10 upgrade.

So I'll get back to you on that but if the hard drive tests good is there anything I can do to correct this problem or am I dead in the water and as another person suggested am I going to have to backup the user data from the hard drive and get recovery media from HP and reinstall Windows 7 and do a full restore and then try the Windows 10 upgrade again?

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 11:44 PM
  • MeipoXu:

I'm sorry to say that the hard drive fails the short diagnostic test and it appears to be failing, I'm now pretty sure that's what caused the Windows 10 upgrade to fail despite the fact that the computer was in apparent good working order when the upgrade started.

I'm still able to read data off of the boot partition so I'm in the process of backing up the data and I've ordered a new hard drive and set of recovery media for the computer. So I'm just going to have to do a complete re-installation of the operating system and all the programs and then restore the data.

Thanks for the help!

• Marked as answer by NormAtHome Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:05 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:04 AM