none
windows explorer keeps restarting

Question

• pls i am very new to this forum so if my problem has been discussed before, PARDON ME for bringing it up again

i use windows vista, and my laptop developed a problem that makes windows explorer to stop working and keep resarting, i think it is because of a folder (that contains a video file) on the desktop. i cant delete this folder manually because before i do the windows explorer crashes again. if i use any programme to browse to that directory, the programme automatically stops working. i dont know what to do i have tried registry cleaners and they still cant give me a solution. was thinking maybe i should delete the folder in safemode using comand prompt but i honestly dont know how to do that can anyone help. or if anybody knows a bettey way of solving this problem pls help i have a meeting in 2 days time. THANK U VERY MUCH

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:03 AM

All replies

• if it is a video problem temporary disable thumbnail generation in folder options you know use thumbnail instead of icon checkbox

or if you want to remove folder and its content

start run

cmd /c rd /s /q "Folderpath"               example  C:\blabla\bla

did you make a folder by using ALT+0160 to hide name

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:16 AM
  • I am havinmg a similar issue with the windows explorer stopping and then restarting. However mine is a little different. Mine happens whenever I right click on ANY exe file.  To say the least it is very annoying.  Any ideas from the guy who answered the OP?
    Monday, July 28, 2008 1:54 AM
  • i have the same problem as the last guy and i have know idea what to do
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:48 AM
  • I tried everything I could think of, So  just said to heck with it and did a format and reload.   Tok a while to do that thanks to the updates for everything. but the thing actually works better than when I bought the laptop. Probably because it was just a reload of Vista and not all the extra junk installed by gateway,

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:34 PM
  • I have this problem as well.  I found another thread on here that suggested http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/explorer-crashes.html 

For me it is

File Name: C:\Windows\system32\CmdLineExt.dll

Company: Sony DADC Austria AG.

Description: SecuROM context menu for Explorer.

From what I understand it is part of game security to make sure you have a valid copy.  I uninstalled my Sony games some time ago; including trial versions.  While I guess I can leave this extension disabled I'd rather remove the file since it is not being used.
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:32 PM
  • My problem is as perplexing as all the others seen here.
    It's intermittent, but highly frequent. On the rare occasion that it's not happening I don't need it, but any time I need the context menu, I'm s.o.l.
    When it's going against me, I can't open a context menu on ANY item on the desktop, in an explorer menu, in the quick link bar, or in the start menu. If I try, ALL explorer windows (not other programs just explorer) close and I get a box saying::
    <msgbox>
    Windows has stopped working.
    Windows is trying to fix the problem...
    [progress bar]
    [cancel button]
    </msgbox>

then this one opens when that one finishes or you click cancel

<msgbox>
    Windows Explorer is restarting...
    [progress bar]
    [cancel button]
    </msgbox>
    I have found that if you open a dos prompt you can navigate to your Desktop and just del the file. But what i want is to be able to open the properties of files without touching the context menu.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:53 PM
  • This worked for me. THANK YOU SO MUCH. That was getting annoying.
    ftm I have disabled all and will be systematically testing to see which was causing it, but for now with all non microsoft shell extensions disabled I have my context menu back.
    YAY!!!!

EDIT::
    Mine seems to be the EXACT same file that plagued Zheldon.

<quote>

For me it is

File Name: C:\Windows\system32\CmdLineExt.dll

Company: Sony DADC Austria AG.

Description: SecuROM context menu for Explorer.

</quote>

Friday, July 17, 2009 10:00 PM