none
Windows 7 gadgets not displaying properly. Black squares or don't appear at all with blue exclamation marks next to it.

Answers

• Here's what worked for me after everything else failed. I didn't attempt repair/update install though. This is much simpler.

Stop the sidebar.exe process. Use regedit and delete this key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\].

Restart sidebar process.

Have no idea why it works but it does. Found it on another forum. I applied this fix several days ago and system has been running fine.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Hi,

Have you installed some third-party gadgets recently? This may be caused by incompatible gadgets.

First, you could try to perform a clean boot  to check how it works.

Regarding how to fix Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets Crash, you could refer to the following link:

Fix Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets Crash

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Meanwhile, I suggest that you try to create a new account to check what the result is.

Create a user account

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you installed some third-party gadgets recently? This may be caused by incompatible gadgets.

Regarding how to fix Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets Crash, you could refer to the following link:

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Meanwhile, I suggest that you try to create a new account to check what the result is.

Create a user account

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 8:58 AM
  • Here's what worked for me after everything else failed. I didn't attempt repair/update install though. This is much simpler.

Stop the sidebar.exe process. Use regedit and delete this key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\].

Restart sidebar process.

Have no idea why it works but it does. Found it on another forum. I applied this fix several days ago and system has been running fine.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Oh my GOSH! THANK YOU! I have looked forever and nothing fixed my sidebar until this. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 7:47 AM
  • It worked for me too!

I could not find the "sidebar" process anywhere, so I just deleted the registry key, restarted and the gadgets are now displaying OK. Everything else seems to work.

I wonder what we did.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:12 PM
  • Hey Microsoft, can you please fix this permanently?
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:18 AM

Restart sidebar process.

I had this problem and looked at EVERYTHING on how to fix it. Did the whole dll thing, blah blah

BUT THIS WORKED PERFECTLY. First try. Makes absolutely no sense but it worked. Anyone with this problem should try the above!

Thank you Popeye(:

Monday, November 22, 2010 3:15 AM
  • OK I took a chance and deleted the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\]

I really hate to do much with the regedit.

This WORKED>  HOOray

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 6:09 PM
  • OK I took a chance and deleted the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\]

I really hate to do much with the regedit.

This WORKED>  HOOray

yayyyyyyyyyyyyy it worked man!!!!!!..
    Friday, December 10, 2010 5:48 PM
  • Hi,

Create a user account

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

i have tried popeye1953's tip..it worked..i m not sure if it cause me further problem, what can it cause worst?
    Friday, December 10, 2010 5:50 PM

Restart sidebar process.

thanks this worked man!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Friday, December 10, 2010 5:51 PM
  • Try this one (simple method), It may work! Ive done all that stuff but it doesn’t solve the problem. Downlaod Malwarebyte here is the link: http://www.malwarebytes.org / (free download) install>Full scan> removed selected. Mine was not displaying properly like that in the above but this solve my problem! Good luck!
    • Proposed as answer by joeran hello Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:40 PM
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Hi,

After several hours of trying to figure out what the problem was, I stumbled upon this forum.  At first I thought that it was difficult but I guess that looks can be deceiving.  It worked like a charm.  Thanks a lot.

Monday, December 13, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Yep. Worked for me too.
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 1:38 PM
  • popeye - thank you so much! Your solution also worked like a charm for me. Much appreciated!
    Friday, December 24, 2010 12:27 PM

Restart sidebar process.

God Damn! Boy ! this is stupid,but it`s working :D:D:D Thanks Man It was very helpful :)
    Friday, December 24, 2010 9:14 PM

Restart sidebar process.

Worked for me, too. It also fixed an error message I was getting with ActiveX controls when doing some other things. 

The Sidebar process was not running on my system, so that step was skipped.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:28 AM
  • As with everyone else, this worked perfectly for me too!  Anyone know why this happened in the first place?
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:51 PM

Restart sidebar process.

Hello, its really working.

But it's not necessary to delete the complete key. The reason for the incomplete working gadgets seems to be in some inconsistency in the subordinate keys. They normally are named 0, 1, 2, 3 and so on. On top is now a key named in another way. Just delete this key and restart.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:02 PM

Restart sidebar process.

Thanks a lot! Fixed the problem for me (which appeared out of the blue, even though I did not install any new gadgets or programs).

Regards, Bhargav
    Sunday, January 02, 2011 4:25 AM
  • Its true, this actually works!!!!!! THANKYOU so much
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 4:05 AM
  • okie i know it sounds odd me asking this but....

How do I delte a KEY? I am having this problem with me gadgets and everyone is saying it is so simple but how do you do it.

I have located the root of all those files but how do you delete it the "right way"

any answers please email me"

c.jpereira@hotmail.com

Saturday, January 08, 2011 2:26 AM
  • IT'S SIMPLE JUST CLICK ON START BUTTON AND SEARCH IN BOX "REGEDT32" AND PRESS ENTER. THERE YOU DELETE THIS [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\]. (PLEASE CLOSE SIDEBAR.EXE FROM THE 'TASK MANGER\PROCESSES' IF IT RUNNING )
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 7:05 PM
  • yeah just delete the first folder named a rectangular box. i did this and it worked like a charm. THANK YOU GUYS!
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 3:38 AM
  • Tip: If you're worried about deleting things, just rename the folder by putting a few characters at the start of the folder name.

Example: Go to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\] and rename the folder ---Zones. Works just the same as deleting, and the info is still there just in case!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:58 PM
  • This worked for me as while.

www.bitcomsecurity.com

Friday, January 14, 2011 1:30 AM
  • im having the same problem and tried to follow your info but when i go into my task manager the sidebar.exe is not running and i can't find the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\]. its just not there. any ideas why? everything was working fine until i installed solidworks 2009. i have uninstalled  solidworks and still no luck. id love it if you could help me with my problem, thanks.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 1:57 AM
  • im having the same problem and tried to follow your info but when i go into my task manager the sidebar.exe is not running and i can't find the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\]. its just not there. any ideas why? everything was working fine until i installed solidworks 2009. i have uninstalled  solidworks and still no luck. id love it if you could help me with my problem, thanks.

When you search for the key in regedit do you use the find function or do you expand the tree manually (mouse click on each value until you drill down to it)? I prefer to expand the tree manually myself. If you have tried both ways to find it and it is not there then you may have a different problem. The brackets are not part of the actual key.

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:12 AM
  • When browsing this path where do stop?
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:33 AM
  • OMG!!! dis is really workin...thanks...
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:22 AM
  • It just WORKS!

Thank you, so much

Constantine

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:00 AM
  • Above the normally named 0, 1, 2, etc, there was a key named "L". After deleting it (the "L" key), everything came back to life!

Thank you, so much

Constantine

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:06 AM
  • Thank U very much popeye

It's really works, my gadget come back to life again

I really really thank's to u

Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Hey thanks bro.....it really worked!!!
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Dik - pomohlo

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ Zones \]

Po spustený počítača postranný panel zmizól, zostala iba ikona Intel ® Turbo Memory, namiesto hodín, čierny štvorec s nehybnou sekundovou ručičkou.
    Pracujem vo Win7Ultimate64bit niekoľkokrát som riešil nevhodné aktualizácie pre 64bit systém. Odvírenie - sfc / scan počítača živo niekoľko prinštalácií
    sidebaru nepomohlo. Po spustený ktorejkoľvek miniaplikácie sa objavil nepodarok, iba Torzo, alebo pozadie miniaplikácie, nakoniec som našiel tento príspevok,
    ktorý pomohól a po odstránení zložky / zónes / mam dojem, že blokácie touto zložkou akoby spomalovaly počítač aj v iných oblastiach. Po odstránení kľúča
    z registru, počítač akoby si vydýchol postranný panel bez problémov za čo

este raz dik

• Edited by pbartja288840praha Friday, February 11, 2011 12:40 PM [HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ Zones \]
    • Proposed as answer by pbartja288840praha Friday, February 11, 2011 12:59 PM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 11:27 AM
  • This behavior is observed if the XML registration is missing in the system. To fix the problem, use the following steps:
    • Close Windows Sidebar . To do so, right-click on the Sidebar icon in the Notification area and click Exit (GK: in case of Windows 7 - press WinKey+R > type taskmgr and press enter > Proccesses tab > select sidebar.exe > click End Process button)
    • Open an elevated Command Prompt window. To do so, click Start , click All Programs , click Accessories , right-click Command Prompt , and then click Run as administrator .
    • In the Command Prompt window, type the following and press ENTER:
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Similarly, run these commands:

regsvr32 scrrun.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll

If the registration was successful, you'll see the message DllRegisterServer in <filename> succeeded  for each command executed. Open Windows Sidebar (sidebar.exe ) and check if the problem is resolved.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 1:59 AM
  • this really works.but you dont have to delete zones alltogether just delete anything other than 0,1,2,3,4 in the subcategory that is the real problem.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:10 AM

Restart sidebar process.

WORKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS............THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:21 PM
  • is this all one file?

on my laptop, these all show up in the regedit as a separate folder.

Friday, February 18, 2011 10:26 PM
  • I'm afraid if any side effects will come. even if now it does work well. :)
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:20 AM
  • thank u so much dude it works perfect 

Sunday, February 27, 2011 5:09 AM
  • A KB article has been created for the issue, it includes 2 methods to resolve the problem and each method does have a Fix it. See this KB article:

Windows7 Gadgets may not work or display properly

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2515657

Thanks

Bobby 

Monday, February 28, 2011 4:55 PM
  • This worked for me I had some malware that screwup my registry XML related...
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:40 PM

Restart sidebar process.

I dont know how but this twik worked for me. sidebar working perfectly.
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Thank you very very much, it was really helpful.

It works for me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Thanks its working for me
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:56 PM
  • I take my hat off! !!!

ABSOLUTELY Brilliant!

Thanks a lot!!!

Monday, March 21, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Guys yes it may have worked but did you noticed ? in the analogue clock it just made the  "seconds" tad disappear
    Sunday, April 03, 2011 9:17 PM
  • popeye1953, thank you so much. :)

gadget problem is totally solved.................

Monday, April 04, 2011 7:58 PM
  • This Really worked just fine!!!!!!!! thanks a lot man.!!!!
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:35 AM
  • yes u r rite itxthe best solution!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Thanks, that worked for me also.

Cheers

Sunday, May 01, 2011 2:24 AM
  • Thanks a lot mate.. It worked... U r great...!!!!!!!
    Sunday, May 08, 2011 1:55 AM
    • Thank you man my Savior 
    • Proposed as answer by XFXOnline Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:28 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Yup that works.Ihad the same problem as one of the fellows did and it got cured by the same treatment.I personally think that these files are attacked by malicious threats spread worldwide on internet and not only attack internet gadgets but also the windows own gadgets. O the other hand, when scanned my PC thoroughly didn't find anything on " Microsoft Security Essential".There is to be some proper treatment for them.
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 11:11 PM
  • Yup that works.Ihad the same problem as one of the fellows did and it got cured by the same treatment.I personally think that these files are attacked by malicious threats spread worldwide on internet and not only attack internet gadgets but also the windows own gadgets. O the other hand, when scanned my PC thoroughly didn't find anything on " Microsoft Security Essential".There is to be some proper treatment for them.
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 11:11 PM
  • hey man i just create this account on this website to thank you for help me repair my gadgets.. people like you are the ones that makes people like me save some money and  learn how use and fix my problems by itself... thank you again..and sorry for my english..
    • Proposed as answer by El Pasi Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:37 PM
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:37 PM
  • It Worked Fine for Me Man
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:20 PM

Restart sidebar process.

Thanks a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooootttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Thanks a lot ...... really it works.....
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 6:32 AM
  • whoooooHooo itz jus wrked thnX
    Saturday, July 02, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Thanks a lot popeye1953 I've done what you have said and I did it! It was successful!
    Monday, July 04, 2011 3:39 PM
  • you are the best answer among the rest keep it up!
    Monday, July 04, 2011 3:40 PM
  • it worked...dunno how but
    thanks neways
    Friday, July 15, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Yaa its working fine. Thank you dude
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 4:57 AM
  • OMG after everything I've tried this one did the job nicely! Thanks mate! Happy days!!
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Popeye, You are THE MAn!!

I have been Googling and searching for two weeks. The subjext has lots of hits. All with the same NON-WOPRKING ANSWERS. I couldnt believe no one could figure this out. And then along came POPEYE THE SAILOR MAN!!!

I am in your debt, seriously.

And in support

MICROSOFT GET IT TOGETHER.!!!! This should have been fixed and PATCH sent out. Lets go!!!

MC35, XV6800, NOKIA E90 Viliv S5 Premium w Tmobile Data Stick Windows VISTA Home Premium
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:39 PM

Restart sidebar process.

Thanx dear, but by only deleting the key "L" under "zones" also work well,

anyway gr8 job

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:20 PM

Restart sidebar process.

Yes this doesn't sound logical but it really worked for me. Thanks for sharing.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Great job,, this works 100% for me
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:56 AM

Restart sidebar process.

I have tried everything on the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2515657 including this but nothing works. My gadgets don't work. all are somewhat seems corrupted/broken. This problem occurs when I uninstall Kaspersky after my license expires. PS. I am using Windows 7. I am using it for almost 12 months but I didn't encounter this problem before. Please give a suggestion. Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Thanks alot after so many tries of many other ways this is the only one worked

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 11:44 AM
  • here is the solution

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/161046-windows-sidebar-gadget-not-displayed-correctly.html

in option one section download the .bat file and run it everything will work fine no need to edit any registry values etc

i have tried the same, and it works :)

Regards,

Muhammad Farooq

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 6:21 PM
  • thanx for this really working great
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:58 AM
  • it has worked, it,s great solution.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:41 AM
  • It worked for me - thanks
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:28 AM
  • ^^^^^ That really did work THANKYOU!! i got fed up with all these window fix that never worked but this was 1st time problem solver A*
    Friday, August 26, 2011 9:40 AM
  • Thx popeye1953 - worked like a charm!!!
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Worked for me too. Thanks a lot.
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Thnx,

it works instantly

Monday, February 06, 2012 4:00 AM
  • sorry, i didn't get the part after "zone", after i click "zone", what should i click on. On my regedit, i have options 0,1,2,3,4 after zone. 

a

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:26 PM
  • Didnt work for me. For example, my CPU/Memory gadget is greyed out showing only the information (greyed out) and as a rectangular box not round gadget as in other profiles/. The currency exchange is pink in color.
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:48 AM

Restart sidebar process.

WORKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS............THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Note that might reduce your security / increase your vulnerability..

Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:54 PM
  • I do not personally recommend the alternate work-around of deleting any registry keys and/or reducing any of your internet security zones.  I have found fixes to it in a more secure way below, as I consolidated and cleaned up countless snips from many forums all over the place (cited sources of where I could remember I found the concepts); Here's my research notes: full disclaimers, hold me harmless, and always backup first!

IE11 BUG:

This bug in the public release version of Internet Explorer 11 (aka IE 11 aka IE11 RTM gold release) causes Windows 7 Gadgets to bug out.

Specifically, with IE11 installed on Windows 7, due to a bug in IE11, increasing DPI past 110% triggers SOME of the Gadgets to glitch, bug out, completely disappear, etc.  This bug can be worked-around and "fixed" by modifying its Sidebar gadget.xml <autoscaleDPI>...  described in detail below.

This bug is irrelevant to Windows 8 / 8.1 because Microsoft removed the beloved Gadgets entirely in Win8 due to so many third-party evilware writers embedding malware into their "free" downloaded Gadgets (note to the best of my current knowledge, using the standard Microsoft Gadgets included with Windows 7 are all perfectly safe).

To reiterate, notice the following Microsoft article is only talking about potential malware in third-party downloaded Gadgets, and specifically I do NOT see where it mentions any problems using any of the official Microsoft build-in Windows 7 gadgets, cited from:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/dn261332

BUG FIX:

Option 1: Set DPI back to 100% Smaller Fonts (default) or maximum 110% and the Gadgets come back to life and work fine upon relog.

Option 2: If you need greater than 110% DPI, and want Gadgets to work, then... For each broken Gadget, modify its protected file:  gadget.xml   (as detailed below).

FIRST, TEMPORARILY CHANGE DPI BACK TO 100% (DEFAULT) JUST SO YOU CAN SEE THE HIDDEN/GLITCHED GADGETS IN ORDER TO FIX THEM.

Note as a side-effect, after the "fixed" Gadgets in question come back they may look smaller in comparison with the ones that were not affected by the DPI bug (because this fix locks their DPI at default 100% whereas your others are dynamically changed).

Located in:  C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets

Inside that folder, find the glitched Gadget you want to fix, go into its specific folder, and edit its gadget.xml, Remove the following tag completely:

<autoscaleDPI><!--_locComment_text="{Locked}"-->true</autoscaleDPI>

Deleting that tag from the gadget.xml file resolves the issue even if the DPI is set to 125%. Setting the tag to allow autoscale doesn't help.  BE CAREFUL not to leave a blank line!

Concepts:

1. Make backup of effected gadget.xml somewhere
    2. Task Manager -> End Process of "sidebar.exe" to unlock all Gadget's files
    3. Take temporary ownership and give yourself RW permission to modify Gadget's files
    4. Put all Gadget file ownership and RW permissions back to "TrustedInstaller" for security
    5. Change DPI and relog to relaunch Gadgets

Details:

From Security Tab in Properties of file you want to change >>Click Advanced >>Select Owner >>Click Edit >>Click Other users or Groups >>Click Advanced >>Click Find Now, make yourself owner, then add write access for yourself.

Launch NOTEPAD or similar editor as ADMIN, to modify the gadget.xml file (the folder structure itself is still permissions-protected, but I strongly suggest you leave that alone and just use admin for editing this one file this one time)

Put Ownership and all permissions back to what they were (First, set read-only for everyone EXCEPT leave RW alone for the TrustedInstaller service, and THEN set Owner back to TrustedInstaller).

NOTE: TrustedInstaller does not exist in the "visible" users and groups as it runs as an NT Service.  Don't panic. To restore its special ownership:

Right mouse button click on the file and choose Properties
        Click Security tab
        Click Advanced button
        Click Owner tab
        Click Edit button
        Click Other User or Group and type in:  NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller
        Search and click Ok on all dialogs until all property dialogs are closed etc.

Cited from http://blogs.msdn.com/irenak/archive/2007/01/30/sysk-277-how-to-bring-back-the-trustedinstaller.aspx

Double-confirm you set all regular users and groups permissions are reverted defaults back to what they were (read-only), and the *ONLY* Owner/RW is TrustedInstalled, to lock it back down for security reasons! E.G. to avoid future vulnerability!

To test:

I fixed my Clock gadget.xml but left the Calendar alone.  Changed DPI to 125% and relog off/on and notice Clock now works, but yes it looks slightly smaller than the working Calendar Gadget which isn't effected by this bug.  Repeat process for Calender if you want it smaller to match, but it works fine bigger. Repeat this process for all of your favorite broken Gadgets using IE11 on Windows 7.

Notes:

1.) Personally I view this as a work-around not a true fix, but considering Microsoft officially discontinued Gadgets as mentioned earlier, it's possible this bug may take a very long time, if ever, to be officially fixed.

2.) IE11 also bugs out a lot of other things such as Outlook 2003 spellcheck, and other general software compatibility issues, especially in Windows 7, so it's probable that some or all of IE11's bugs should be eventually fixed in the future - thereby as a side effect may also officially fix Gadgets some day too.

3.) Other concepts cited here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/448f9665-c043-48d2-9049-b74131bab7b1/gadgets-not-working-with-ie11-win7-pro-sp1-not-win81-preview?forum=iewebdevelopment

Good luck!

• Edited by blogthis Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:15 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Hey man.. i have the same problem as everyone here.. i followed your solution nothing changed.. weather gadget doesnt work.. but i dont care about it as much as the cpu meter and other gadgets from addgadgets.com  
    Got anything for me? ty in advance

Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:20 AM
  • I note from the date of Xristoforator's post that s/he probably had the same problem that I did.  Same results as you with the above fixes.  I did a recent Windows update, which installed Internet Explorer 11.  I uninstalled it, then restarted, then my CPU meter magically came up as it should.

P.S.

I had this gadget problem before blogthis' post on Nov. 14, 2013, so didn't discover his research related to IE11 until after I posted this.  I use Firefox, and will try to install IE 10 if needed.

Sunday, November 17, 2013 5:24 AM
  • I started having the same issue right after IE11 and few other upgrades. I just uninstalled the IE11 upgrade and rebooted the PC, now I can see all my Gadgets.
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:08 AM
  • Hi I have tried all of the above and nothing seems to fix my gadgets - I may be dense but could someone talk me through this step by step please? The weather gadget only show purple writing with the location and temperature and nothing else and the clock doesn't appear at all! I tries the UAC, Command prompt and the hotkey deletion. but nothing so far 
    Sunday, January 19, 2014 1:24 PM
  • Fabulous, thank you! It worked like a charm.
    Saturday, March 08, 2014 8:51 PM