Hyper-V VM issue with Generation 2 (G2) on Windows 8.1

Question

• Hi,

I was trying the new Generation 2 on Hyper-V within Windows 8.1, but this is what I have found:

- If you use a Win8 PRO English ISO, the VM will not recognize your keyboard at all, just mouse clicking.

- If you use a Win8 PRO Spanish ISO, the installation will not even start.

- If you use either, Win8 Enterprise ISO or Win8.1 Preview ISO, the installation will work just perfect.

The wizard says at least Windows 8 or Server 2012, so I suppose this is a kind of issue.

I have not any problem creating Generation 1 VMs.

Anyone can try repro?

Blog | Twitter

Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:29 AM

All replies

• Yes, saw this with server 2012r2 as the host and 2012(non-r2) as the vm. Couldn't use the 'Type Clipboard text' either.

Had to use the graphical keyboard to enter the key. Once the install was done, everything worked. Not tried non-English versions 

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:25 AM
  • Yes, saw this with server 2012r2 as the host and 2012(non-r2) as the vm. Couldn't use the 'Type Clipboard text' either.

Had to use the graphical keyboard to enter the key. Once the install was done, everything worked. Not tried non-English versions 

Thanks for your reply, Big. Sadly, it seems there are not MSFT guys around here this time. =/

Blog | Twitter

Friday, June 28, 2013 5:41 PM
  • I can confirm that keyboard input does not work when installing Windows Server 2012 Essentials on a Hyper-V VM Generation 2 under Windows 8.1.
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:08 PM
  • Got the same issue. No keyboard Input available when using Generation 2. No matter what guest OS is used. With Generation 1 everything works well
    • Edited by John Muller Sunday, August 04, 2013 11:51 AM
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 11:50 AM
  • Can confirm the same here, using Gen 2 Hyper-V VM on Windows 8.1 pro.

During OS installation within the VM, no keyboard is available, only mouse.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:49 PM