none
Old 16bit Game on Windows 7 64bit

Question

• I have an old 16bit game I would like to play, it worked perfectly on XP 32bit but on Vista64 and W7-64 I've had to use a DOS emulator and the game works but it runs like it did on the old x486...Very slowly.
    Will I ever be playing this game again seeing as 64-bit "is the future"(I have more then 4GB RAM so I won't install 32-bit W7)?
    What about that "in-built XP" I've heard about?

Thank you.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:15 PM

Answers

• Have you tried VMLite (http://www.vmlite.com/)? It's a free software which also provides a XPMode.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Marked as answer by rizzon Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:30 PM

All replies

• What about dual booting your box?

XP on one partition or drive and Win 7 on the other? You could make the partition very small for the XP side of things and leave remnants for Win 7.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:12 PM
  • I don't have a spare XP license so that would be a problem.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:19 PM
  • Just wondering out loud...how about the new XP Mode?  It certainly gets around the license issue and is easier than dual booting.  The first issue is if your hardware supports it or not, and the second is how a 16-bit app would perform in the virtual environment...
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 3:05 PM
  • Ai Yori Aoshi installer problem
    I've had the same problem with an Ai Yori Aoshi Visual Novel.
    I heard that it's also a 16-bit game and it doesn't run on W7-RC.
    I've even tried all the compatibility modes and the "XP mode" for this. 
    I can get the installer window to open, but I cannot get the installer to install the game.
    It just closes after I click install.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <--
    I'm running:

-Windows 7 RC SP1 64-bit version
    -Windows Virtual Machine XP 64-bit version

Specs:

-Processor: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 2.10GHz
    -Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable)
    -System type: 64-bit Operating System

System Requirements (as read on the box):

Supported on the following OS:
    -Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP

Harware Requirements:
    -800MHz Pentium III or AMD Athlon Processor
    -128MB of RAM 8-speed CD drive
    -1.35GB of free HDD space (Game program only)
    -32Mb video card (SVGA 16bit color)
    -->

More info here: Vista Issues - AnimeSuki Forum
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Just wondering out loud...how about the new XP Mode?  It certainly gets around the license issue and is easier than dual booting.  The first issue is if your hardware supports it or not, and the second is how a 16-bit app would perform in the virtual environment...

I'm guessing it would only run as XP 64-bit and my game is only supported by 32-bit(or 16-bit) but I'm downloading it as we speak(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx). I'll post an update later.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:47 PM
  • This question bothers me as well...

While I am not interested in 16 bit games per se, I *DO* have 16 bit software tools I occasionally need to run as I am involved in maintaining very old product software.  Now, before you say "well, just upate it", let me explain:

- It is old software that only occasionally needs to be rebuilt.
    - It is infeasible to spend even a little money to upgrade it to modern standards.
    - As it is I must run a 32 bit OS in a Virtual Machine to run any old 16 bit software.

Microsoft currently supports the 16 bit subsystem on 32 bit versions of Win 7.  Clearly they feel it adds enough value to continue to keep it running. 

My question is this:  Why not maintain support for it in the 64 bit version as well?  I suppose this would be considered "adding it back in" as it was not available in XP x64 or Vista x64, but c'mon, the subsystem is there.  Even if it had to run under two layers of WOW it would be very valuable to those of us who are faced with continued support of very old software!

We might just see more people in enterprise environments switch from XP 32 bit to Win7 64 bit if they could ease the migration path from their very old software.  I believe most corporate IT departments would rather roll out x64 if they're going to actually go through a major upgrade.

-Noel

Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Update on the game:
    Tried running the install file from the CD while in XP however it didn't support the source address. So I made it an ISO in W7. Copied it to XP. Installed and mounted it with Daemon-tools(EDIT: Apparently Virtual Windows XP has a built in ISO-mounter. Didn't notice that one.). However when I try to run the game I get this error:

"The Video Device Failed to Initialize for Fullscreen Mode"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286256

and the solution listed there doesn't help.

Argh, help! So close...
    • Edited by rizzon Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:09 AM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:11 PM
  • I'm having issues with an old game as well. Diablo to be specific. In Seven x64, it runs, but most of the game becomes rainbow colored.

I found how to install XP Mode, but it doesn't entirely help. If I have the Integration Tools enabled, the game cannot run because the display drivers do not allow it to change the resolution and color pallate. If I disable Integration, the game runs fine, but I can't make it full screen and it kind of defeats the purpose of using XP Mode since without the Integration Features, it's just a regular Virtual Machine.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:34 AM
  • I never tought of turning off the Integration Tools. I did that and the game launches. However now there is a problem with the mouse:
    I see both the in-game mouse and the real one and they move at different speeds.
    This means the in-game mouse can't reach all places of the game screen.

Anyone knows how to fix this?
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:07 AM
  • If the game is 16-bit it will never run on 64-bit since Microsoft has not included 16-bit support in its 64-bit OSes.

Many older games try to address the hardware directly because they got best performance from the system that way. This is not allowed by NT/2000/XP/Vista/7.

Even if the emulated hardware in XP Mode or any other virtual machine software meets the requirements for the game to run well, the hardware is still emulated in software and will not run as well as it would when the game was allowed to address the hardware directly. Emulating a 16-bit system as well as the hardware will always be slower than in 32-bit Windows 7, XP and earlier 32-bit systems which provide a native 16-bit environment.

Virtual machines are intended to allow older functional programs to run, or provide testbeds for developers, and emulate a basic hardware environment not high-performance hardware.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:29 PM
  • If the game is 16-bit it will never run on 64-bit since Microsoft has not included 16-bit support in its 64-bit OSes.

Many older games try to address the hardware directly because they got best performance from the system that way. This is not allowed by NT/2000/XP/Vista/7.

Even if the emulated hardware in XP Mode or any other virtual machine software meets the requirements for the game to run well, the hardware is still emulated in software and will not run as well as it would when the game was allowed to address the hardware directly. Emulating a 16-bit system as well as the hardware will always be slower than in 32-bit Windows 7, XP and earlier 32-bit systems which provide a native 16-bit environment.

Virtual machines are intended to allow older functional programs to run, or provide testbeds for developers, and emulate a basic hardware environment not high-performance hardware.
    It runs perfectly for me except for that mouse thing making it completely unplayable . Loading speeds in XP-Mode are as good as they were on normal XP (100x faster then on a 486) but that doesn't help when you can't actually play the game.
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP, Moderator Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:48 PM
    • Edited by rizzon Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:04 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by rizzon Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:20 PM
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:44 PM
  • With Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate, you can use a feature called XP mode (not compatibility mode).  It runs out of date programs and older games in its own virtual machine.  I, however, do not know how to use the XPMode.  I just know it works.  For more information on how to use XP Mode, go to http://lifehacker.com/5245396/set-up-and-use-xp-mode-in-windows-7 If you change stuff in your BIOS, make sure that the virtual machine is enabled.  If you don't play around with that stuff, you are good to go.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 12:39 AM
  • So, Windows 7 has been out for a while now and I'm wondering if a solution to my problem might have popped up somewhere?

The problem being:
    • Have an old game.
    • It was perfectly playable in Windows XP.
    • When trying to run it in XP Mode in Windows 7 it gives you the "The Video Device Failed to Initialize for Fullscreen Mode".
    • If I turn the Integration Tools off and the game start.
    • The XP Mode window automatically changes to 640x480 (the game is full screen which can't be turned off).
    • I see two mouse cursors, one for in-game and one for normal use. The in-game one is totally f*ed up when it comes to movement making the game completely unplayable.
    I guess the question is: Have anyone else experienced mouse problems when running legacy software in full screen in XP Mode and is there a solution?
    Anyone?
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Yeah - but Windows 7 home premium edition does not allow this XP download.  Some of my old games I just can't play and it's very frustrating.  Not fair!!!
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Yeah - but Windows 7 home premium edition does not allow this XP download.  Some of my old games I just can't play and it's very frustrating.  Not fair!!!

Then your best shot is DOSbox although that will significantly slow down your games .
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:06 AM
  • You could try VMware Workstation.  It's a quite good virtualization package that will allow you to install XP in a virtual machine.  It's even reasonably efficient.  I use it for testing software in many different environments.  It's not free, but it won't break the bank either.

-Noel
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:14 PM
  • You could try VMware Workstation.  It's a quite good virtualization package that will allow you to install XP in a virtual machine.  It's even reasonably efficient.  I use it for testing software in many different environments.  It's not free, but it won't break the bank either.

-Noel

So you mean I should buy a virtual machine-software AND buy an XP license just to play a game I was able to play less than 2 years ago?
    Even though it might work it's not really an option for me.
    All I need is for Microsoft to fix their XP-mode so we can run stuff in full screen.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Have you tried VMLite (http://www.vmlite.com/)? It's a free software which also provides a XPMode.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Marked as answer by rizzon Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:30 PM

André

Using VMLite and turning off mouse integration did the stuff. Thank you.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Great that it works now :) Have fun :)
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:33 PM
  • I just got a 16 bit installer and game to work on my Win 7 Home Premium x64. I used Oracle VM Virtual Box and installed my old XP 32 bit within Oracle VM. It works like a champ! I like this better than a dual boot system personally.  Can launch from Win 7 without reboot. Sweet!
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:09 PM
  • I may have come across your answer looking for a solution for the same problem in starcraft. Open notepad then copy the code

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
    (Put your app.exe here)
    pause
    start explorer.exe

then save as a .bat file. To do this click save then change the Save as type from .txt to all files then save as (example diablo.bat)

Then just click that save to play!

Your windows task bar is the issue it is always running even in the background. Diablo most likely needs to run in a different color bit than your task bar runs. What that .bat file does is shuts down your taskbar, starts the game, then once you exit the game just hit any key to restart your taskbar.

Hope this helps

Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:32 PM
  • I may have come across your answer looking for a solution for the same problem in starcraft. Open notepad then copy the code

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
    (Put your app.exe here)
    pause
    start explorer.exe

then save as a .bat file. To do this click save then change the Save as type from .txt to all files then save as (example diablo.bat)

Then just click that save to play!

Your windows task bar is the issue it is always running even in the background. Diablo most likely needs to run in a different color bit than your task bar runs. What that .bat file does is shuts down your taskbar, starts the game, then once you exit the game just hit any key to restart your taskbar.

Hope this helps

mate, u r a legend. so much so that i signed up a user name just so i could say thanks.

cant believe it was that easy. cheers!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:51 PM
  • Why does everyone here not see the obvious?  Get an inexpensive older 2nd computer to run your old programs on.  It doesn't have to be a monster, just a small form fractor desktop or minitower, something that matches your current gear and can be tucked away in or around your desktop.  Hook it up using an inexpensive PS/2 or USB KVM switch w/audio.  Whala!  Best of both worlds at your fingertips.

I currently have 3 Dell SFF desktops stacked and connected via KVM, along with my main computer.  1 Keyboard, Mouse, & Monitor.  I'm running DOS, Win98SE, WinXP Pro, and Win7 Pro X64. 

Then again, I don't consider myself the average computer user.  I like to move forward in tech and keep up on the latest, but I can't give up the old stuff.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:03 AM
  • Dear JohnnyBlazD420,

Your simple solution worked for me too!!! 

I want to run old Atari Anniversary Edition games (that worked fine on Win XP) on my new Win 7 Home-Premium Edition, 64-bit.  I've spent several hours researching and trying other solutions yet none completely fixed my problems of: off-colored graphics, sluggish mouse & freezing up my system after exiting the games.  Some of the other solutions fixed the off colors, but none (EXCEPT YOURS) fixed all three problems.

Your suggestion worked immediately and only took a few minutes to try.

Like the other person in this thread (TheIronYuppie) who said you helped him, I too created an account here just to be able to sign in and thank you.

So......THANK you for taking the time to post a great, simple solution!!!

CarolineX13
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:36 AM
  • Dear JohnnyBlazD420,

Your simple solution worked for me too!!! 

I want to run old Atari Anniversary Edition games (that worked fine on Win XP) on my new Win 7 Home-Premium Edition, 64-bit.  I've spent several hours researching and trying other solutions yet none completely fixed my problems of: off-colored graphics, sluggish mouse & freezing up my system after exiting the games.  Some of the other solutions fixed the off colors, but none (EXCEPT YOURS) fixed all three problems.

Your suggestion worked immediately and only took a few minutes to try.

Like the other person in this thread (TheIronYuppie) who said you helped him, I too created an account here just to be able to sign in and thank you.

So......THANK you for taking the time to post a great, simple solution!!!

CarolineX13
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:36 AM
  • Ok so I know its been a while, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this.I'm trying to run Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego 1996 version on my Windows 7. I tried the solution with notepad and saving it as a .bat file, but my problem was I couldn't figure out what my app.exe would be. Where would I find this info?

Thanks for the help!

Monday, November 22, 2010 9:44 PM
  • It should be in the root folder where you put the game files. Something like 'Carmen.exe'. Not sure of the exact name for the .exe file for that game.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:12 AM
  • the game itself comes up as being CS_WORLD so i tired that, but it just takes me to a little black box that says the command is not recognized as an internal and external file and then terminates. i've tried a variety, but none seem to work.it's getting very frustrating.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:42 PM
  • A thought popped in to my head as I was reading.... This worked on a friend's PS3 running XP. It's a small price to pay considering the lengths we have to go to for 16 bit compatibility, but have you tried running the final program in windowed mode? Perhaps your video card or Virtual XP can't handle the full-screen?

Hope this helps.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:12 AM
  • You could use Oracle VirtualBox, which can emulate any operating system I've heard of perfectly.
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:52 AM
  • you sir, are amazing. This worked even for an old chinese game i was searching all over the net for an answer to! fixed the graphics and everything
    Saturday, April 09, 2011 4:40 PM
  • how to put the app.exe in the np
    Tuesday, May 03, 2011 11:34 AM
  • I'd say the simplest answer would be to reinstall win 7 as 32bit(I'm considering this!!) and remove the extra ram! The other option is to dual boot.....a bit of work, but worth it to play those old games...;-)
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:48 PM
  • "What about dual booting...." Dual booting is not a smart solution. RIZZON could rather use his old computer for his old games too which would be another not so interesting thing to do. i believe he wants to run a 16 bit kernel on NT x64 and play his old games, more like running 32 bit programs on wow64 but without using too many layers. because that's exactly what i want to do with my old games. i may try the VMLite as suggested by Andre if the 16 bit environmental subsystem of the virtual machine works just on top of x64 nt kernel (16 bit APP>16 bit VM environmental subsystem: executives and kernel>NT kernel>HAL) then it will be much more interesting. thanks
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Upgrades are supposed to be better!, not worse!
    Monday, July 16, 2012 11:39 AM
  • it is not so much to do with Microsoft. it is the fact that the WOW16 subsystem depended on a feature of the X86 processor called virtual 8086 mode (or v8086 for short), that enabled 16 bit code to run on the processor under a 32 bit OS. When the X86 platform added 64 bit mode v8086 was mantained... but only in 32 bit legacy mode. In 64 bit long mode or the mode to run 32 bit applications on 64 bit mode (32 bit compatibility mode), this support was dropped. This is why a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit CPU runs 16 bit code - it's in legacy mode. However, in a 64 bit OS, it's running in long mode, or if a 32 bit application compatibility mode. This left MS with 2 options - drop support, or completely rewrite the code. For such a small minority of programs, it wasn't worth doing.
    Monday, October 08, 2012 7:51 PM