none
Windows 7 audio driver problem

General discussion

• Hello All.
    First of all sorry for my english skills (I realy try to improve thems) .
    So I have install Windows 7 RC, and all was good except sound. Search give no results (even technet). After 2 days of amaizing manipulations I got first sound from the speakers.

I decided to create this threat to help those of you, who can't find answer too. But I'm not a guru, and not a IT professional, so let do this together.
    I suggestion to write in ansvers above the detail information about problem, and detail steps how to solv thems. But better to do this without spam messages, so please use next template to post your answers:

Problem: Some information about your situation (please be short);
    System Information: Information about your hardvare;
    Fix: detail information (step by step) how to fix this problem.

I really hope that this answers help you to deprived your sound card problems.

• Changed type Andy Song Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:12 AM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:36 AM

All replies

• So I will be first ;)

Problem: windows has been set "HD Audio device" automatically during instalation, but my speakers give no sound;
    System Information:
    • motherboard: ASUS P5LD2 SE;
    • Audio: ADI1986A 6-ch Audio CODEC
    Fix:
     First of all few words. In my opinion this fix can be used for all ASUS motherbords, but I has been checked it only for my.
     - go to ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Driver/Audio/ ;
     - select your audio device "ADI" (for my motherboard);
     - download AD1988_Vista_61016110.zip (it is driver for our audio card for Vista);
     - unzip it;
     - open "Device Manager" window;
     - right-click on your sound card => update driver;
     - in window what appear select "Search on your computer" (or something);
     - select path to downloaded and unzipped folder with drivers;

Here you go! ;) After this steps you can enjoy your multimedia.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:37 AM
  • I have HP dv5000 series laptop,running a Turion 64 bit processor,2 gb of ddr ram,80 gig hard drive...64bit versions of Vista Ultimate and also Win7 build 7100 RC installed,(all on separate hard drives).
    Sound card will not start....I also have another hard drive with XP pro installed which runs flawlessly...I have backed up all XP drivers and loaded on a flash drive and have set the update drivers in both Vista and Win 7 to install drivers for the sound card using the XP drivers with no progress...Hp has been contacted and was told that the hp dv5000 series is discontinued and no further information or drivers are available.
    I also contacted the maker of the sound card which is Altec Lansing and was told to contact HP for a new driver package.
    Catch 22...lol
    Is there any way to install this Altec Lansing sound card to be compatable with Vista and Win7?
    I see no other option other than give up on this HP product and get a new laptop.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 1:48 PM
  • Same problem here.  Did you find a work around to get the audio working?

Monday, June 01, 2009 11:47 PM
  • I have just installed Windows7 RC and I'm pleased with it. for sure better than vista LOL but cant get any sound. I have HP DV5000 laptop originally was on XP. Just wipe the XP and installed the new Windows 7. Except the Sound every thing is absolutely fine. any one have any fix for this yet? I tried on the HP website and downloaded the Conexant AC-Link Audio drivers but :( no fix :( :(
    if you know how to fix it please let me know

thanks

Monday, July 06, 2009 2:45 AM
  • Same here,
    I own an HP pavillon dv5000 (dv5250ca) and recently installed Windows 7 ultimate RC, and no sound.
    I hope HP, altec lansing or microsoft will soon work something out.
    • Edited by berilium Sunday, August 02, 2009 8:57 PM
    Sunday, August 02, 2009 8:56 PM
  • I have been having problems with the onboard Realtek audio on my system as well. Windows 7 forces the generic "High Definition Audio Device" driver, which performs well on playback, but will not record. Actually, now that I think about it, there were digital distortion/glitching sounds on streaming playback from time to time, too.

I have tried numerous drivers from Realtek's site, but the newer Vista 64/Win 7 64 drivers are not signed. The only fix that I have found was to install a hack that permanently put Windows into "Test Mode" and let me sign the drivers myself. This works perfectly, but it's annoying behavior in newer Microsoft operating systems that you can't, as an advanced computer user, can't install drivers that work, instead of the pre-packaged drivers that don't. Just give me a hundred "are you sure" prompts, make a registry switch to turn off driver signing, or something... I paid for the computer and I paid for the OS! Let me install what I want to!

I am loving everything else about 7/64 and have already purchased two upgrade licenses. I have been hacking Windows for years, to make it behave the way I want. Hopefully, I won't have to keep this hack in place after the final release.
    Monday, August 03, 2009 11:09 PM
  • So impressed with W7 RC (32bit) on my 5 year old desktop (AMD64 3400 2gb RAM) that I gave it a try on my wife's laptop HP510 RU 964AA#ABU (Mobile Centrino 500mb RAM).
    You guessed it! Everything was wonderful and I do mean WONDERFUL but no sound and no recognition of any sound hardware, device or 'pseudo chip hardware' either within the laptop or using Belarc. To be honest I had no idea what sound card the laptop was using (yes, I know that was silly!!) and had to Google by model to find the actual hardware originally installed. Conexant 20468 AC Link-Audio (20468) - I searched for a Vista driver but could not find one and in hope rather than expectation downloaded the XP driver from HP (sp33906.exe) which installed so amazingly smoothly and fired up the sound and made the card or device recognisable to all. So give it a try!
    I have used every OS from DOS through W3.1 right up to W7 RC and I have owned them all except Vista but I have worked on that a lot. I have always been very cautious about installing new OS on a computer not specifically designed for it but tried this W7 simply because a format and reinstall of XP Prof. was due. I am astonished how well this W7 works on both my desktop which is even now a very capable machine but more especially the HP laptop which fails the minimum spec. in several ways not least only 500MB of RAM. Both work better with W7 than they did with XP and I mean REALLy better so much you can see it! The backward compatibility of hardware and software seems unlimited as far as I can see.  W7 is an extraordinary piece of work and yes I have preordered W7 Prof!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:03 AM
  • Hello all ! Try to use Windows Update direct update the driver from Microsoft ! last time i try it is ok ! All the Driver is correct !
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:10 AM
  • yea! i have the same problem too, but mine is the HP pavilion dv1000.  windows 7 works beautifully except for the audio.  My headphones work great and occasionally i get sound.  But the sound turns on and off at random.  I have no idea why or how.  I have the same chip, altec Lansing.... HELP!!!!
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:10 AM
  • Jenn, I have the same dv1000 notebook and ran into the same issue, I found this link for the driver as a Vista upgrade and installed it and it fixed the problem! Here is the link: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp34501-35000/sp34770.exe
    Hope this helps!
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 9:07 AM
  • oh yee, that driver solved out my whole day trying ;). Cheers.. Anyway if it still doesn't work, try to reinstall OP and install driver again.
    In my case it worked. Good luck
    Monday, December 07, 2009 2:54 PM
  • Hey Everybody !  if possible, help me out on this . 

i just upgraded to windows 7, but no sound ! my speakers are still working ( Tested on another computer, i also tested another set of speakers on this pc ) and when i open mixer, the audio levels move when i play music, but i hear no sound !
    i have some general information about my pc. apperanly my motherboard is discontinued, and also- intel.com claims they are no longer making windows 7 drivers. or somthing along those lines. PLEASE HELP, i need sound !

Heres a summary of my Computers hardware, etc.

Computer 

Operating System Windows 7 Enterprise Media Center Edition
    OS Service Pack - **( this was just left blank, so im not sure what this is all about )**
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name KORY-PC
    User Name Kory

Motherboard 

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 1700 MHz
    Motherboard Name Intel Billings 2 D845EBG2  (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale i845E
    System Memory 512 MB
    BIOS Type AMI (05/29/02)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display 

Video Adapter Standard VGA Graphics Adapter  (64 MB)
    Monitor Acer LCD Monitor AL1716 [NoDB]  (ETL5108459)

Multimedia 

Audio Adapter Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated D

Storage 

IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller-24CB
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive SAMSUNG SP8004H ATA Device  (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Disk Drive USB Device
    Optical Drive LG DVD-ROM DRD8160B ATA Device  (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
    Optical Drive SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-232B ATA Device  (32x/10x/40x CD-RW)
    SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions 

C: (NTFS) 76340 MB (46489 MB free)

Input 

Keyboard Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Network 

Network Adapter ADMtek AN983 based ethernet adapter  (192.168.1.102)

Peripherals 

Printer Fax
    Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2 [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4 [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7 [NoDB]
    USB2 Controller Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD [NoDB]
    USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:37 AM
  • DanB33...can I ask were you got that link for the dv1000?  I have a dv2000 and have the same problem with my windows 7 upgrade.  I'm upgrading from XP and everything works perfectly EXCEPT the audio.  When I check the device manager it says the device cant start (code 10).  I tried using the link you posted for the dv1000 and it didn't work.  Where can I find the link for the dv2000? 
    Thanks in advance.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:47 AM
  • works perfectly for me.. tenkz!!!:)
    Friday, January 29, 2010 2:42 PM
  • For those still having a problem with a HP dv5000, I managed to make the sound work:

The driver downloaded from W7 doesn't work, so I went to HP support driver download and took the XP driver.

Now it works fine :)

Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Just built my first computer! Installed windows 7, love it. I'm here, of course, because I'm having a sound issue. I initially set up the computer with a flat screen TV as the monitor (so as not to disturb the desktop I was replacing) and the sound was lovely. Now with it all hooked up to speakers and the actual monitor, no sound. I have tried to follow this thread but falling quite short with understanding what I need... any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:43 PM
  • I have a rather odd driver issue...

My Toshiba Satellite has Realtek HD Audio and the audio (for the first time since owning this computer) started crackling in the right channel, then slowly made it's way to the left channel.

So, I uninstalled the driver, the device, and all software related to it, restarted the computer and prepared to reinstall the Realtek software(s), and instead found the Microsoft drivers installed, and guess what? It not only stopped crackling, but the audio sounded better! Actually, it's crystal clear and hasn't sounded this good in...well, ever.

I'm more than a little surprised. I'm impressed and pleased, but surprised. So, do I need to reinstall the HD Audio drivers, or can I leave it as is?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:11 AM
  • The AD1988_Vista_61016110.zip  doesn't work for me.

I just downloaded ALC880_882_Vista_6015350 from ASUS,

- extract the zip file and it creates the Realtek folder

- execute the AsusSetup under the VISTA folder

- restart the PC after installation

The sound comes back!!

Saturday, May 15, 2010 6:35 AM
  • The AD1988_Vista_61016110.zip  doesn't work for me.

I just downloaded ALC880_882_Vista_6015350 from ASUS,

- extract the zip file and it creates the Realtek folder

- execute the AsusSetup under the VISTA folder

- restart the PC after installation

The sound comes back!!

Same here. It's quite annoying. 

I hope they fix this.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:50 AM
  • this problem makes me crazy...

fortunately i found this forum...

at it's actually work...thannxxxxx...thousands thanx for u...

u r d best....

Thursday, June 03, 2010 6:13 PM
  • hi, seems your audio driver is installed properly but the settings are changed, try changing the audio settings.

I too had similar prblem and my chipset driver was also old, so I google few driver optimizing applications like Driver Detective, Driver Agent or Advanced Driver Optimizer dey will get you the latest updates 4 ur 

drivers so u dnt hve to search them.

u can try dere trial version to see if dey show updates. I use Advanced driver Optimizer as with it I hve to just scan n update all my drivers in single click you can also try it 
    www.driveroptimizer.com

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:32 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. But I already tried that - I use a free driver detector called "Driver Easy".

However I think I might have noticed the "real" problem - it seems I have actually 3 drivers for sound. 1 of them is from Microsoft already and it's digitally signed and the other 2 ones are the "good" ones but their not digitally signed. It seems that sometimes (it doesn't happen all the time now, but it does happen) when I restart/shut down my PC, it automatically "updates" to the signed driver. And that's why it doesn't work. 

Not sure if my theory is quite correct.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:58 AM
  • Seems its windows auto driver update causing problem,

I read at a link of microsoft how to stop auto driver update

(http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/dc7fa865-4125-4e89-b58f-55fa6c7a6563)

I would suggest you to follow the steps as below and check if it helps.

Step 1:

1. ClickStart and type gpedit.msc in the Start Search and pressEnter.

2. OnceLocal Group Policy Editor is open navigate to:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Driver Installation

3. On the right pane, double click on“Turn Off Windows Update Device Driver Search Prompt” and selectEnabled and click OK.

4. Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Note: This will not disable the Windows Update; it will only stop prompting you to update the device driver using Windows Update. You will still be able to update the driver by manually going to Windows Update.

Step 2:

Uninstall audio drivers completely and then install the driver that is working.

1. Click Start,type Device Manager in the Start Search box, and then pressENTER.

2. In the Device Manager dialog box, expandSound, video, and game controllers.

3. Locate the audio device that was included with the computer.

3. Right-click the device, and then clickProperties.

4. Click theDriver tab, and then click Uninstall.

5. Place a check mark next to"Delete the Driver Software for this device" check box, and then click OK.

6. Install the driver that is working.

7. Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:57 AM
  • hi all

well i have the hp dv 5000 and just installed windows 7 and yes you guessed it had no sound

i have searched the net and followed well i have lost count of the different things i have followed and none worked

but today i stumbled across this fix and yay it worked and i did not need to download any thing

so all i did was

click on my computer

open the C drive

open the folder called SWSETUP

open folder called Audio

then in there highlighted in blue writing with a little computer symble called set up click that to open the application and said yes to up grade

and there you go i had sound lol

hope this works for you as well

let me know

Friday, July 02, 2010 8:35 AM
  • hi all

well i have the hp dv 5000 and just installed windows 7 and yes you guessed it had no sound

i have searched the net and followed well i have lost count of the different things i have followed and none worked

but today i stumbled across this fix and yay it worked and i did not need to download any thing

so all i did was

click on my computer

open the C drive

open the folder called SWSETUP

open folder called Audio

then in there highlighted in blue writing with a little computer symble called set up click that to open the application and said yes to up grade

and there you go i had sound lol

hope this works for you as well

let me know

Friday, July 02, 2010 8:41 AM
  • I have an HP Pavilion dv2000 newly upgraded to Windows 7.  I had problems with the front microphone and speaker jacks (no sound) and the built-in microphone (didn't work).  Tried the Vista drivers, trying the "latest" drivers from Softpedia.

Then, I downloaded this old XP driver and it fixed the microphone and front jacks issue.  Now if only my USB headset worked like it should...

» Conexant High Definition Audio Driver
    2007-04-30 , Version:3.38.0.50 A, 1.39M (‏Previous versions available)‏
    This package contains the driver and user interface for the Conexant High Definition Audio Chip in the supported notebook models and operating systems. PURPOSE: Routine
    More info

Saturday, July 31, 2010 2:54 AM
  • Hello all ! Try to use Windows Update direct update the driver from Microsoft ! last time i try it is ok ! All the Driver is correct !

but if you have windows vista or windows 7 it doesnt let you update from the site  !!!!
    Sunday, August 01, 2010 8:44 AM
  • Hi everyone, I have a HP pavillion dv2000 and this worked for me...

Try this in windows 7:

1. Reboot your system and press F8 to get the windows boot options
    2. Select "Disable driver signature enforcement"
    3. Log in

• If your sound card works in this mode is just that you have the wrong driver version. To fix this:

(In "Disable driver signature enforcement" mode)

1. Open the setup for the driver (C:\SwSetup\Drivers\Audio\Setup.exe)
    2. Continue with the instructions
    When finish windows will tell you that the driver was installed in a "wrong" way, choose that windows fix it (It will repeat the steps above)

Restart the pc in "Normal" mode and will work!.

• If your sound car doesn't work in "Disable driver signature enforcement" mode, then probably the registry is messed up, sometimes software like iTunes causes this.

That worked for me. hope this is useful for someone!

Friday, August 06, 2010 1:29 PM
  • I fixed my problem by deleting all the audio drivers. It seems there was a Creative driver (hmm..how did that get in here..) which I didn't need.

I used Driver Sweeper and then I installed the drivers. Works fine now.

Thanks for the help btw. :)

Friday, August 06, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Here's my problem:

I got a Toshiba Netbook NB 305 a week ago. It uses Windows 7. My sound out of the speakers is either really quiet or no sound at all! Also, my mic is very sensitive (even a light tap on the keyboard is very loud) and turns on and off at random times. Today to hear the mic, I had to plug in my earphones. Even worse, my mic can detect sounds that are 'on' the laptop but not sounds only a foot away!
    I haven't downloaded or installed anything yet because I want to know if it's worth before hand.  

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Monday, August 09, 2010 5:38 PM
  • @Arthur-Thanx A ton man..

I was searching for this in the whole of the www...

Finally Sound is fixed :)

Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:26 AM
  • OMG, I luv u, cause i been trying to figure out the same problem and ive been trying to figure this out for days, n then i put this little thing in and it worked in less than a second. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 2:15 AM
  • Thanx!!! That worked for me. I use windows 7 (64bit) on a ASUS P5PL2-E. I just installed my old Vista driver and it worked! So thanx for the idea! ;)

Thursday, December 02, 2010 9:07 PM
  • excuse me but can you help and  if u please can u reply fast.. well my brother install windows 7 on my dell dimension 4550 and  my uncle said not to or else he will take the pc away ... i was hoping if you can help me cause i got no sound thats the only reason my uncle dont want me to put windows 7 since i already got windows 7 can u help me 

Motherboard:dimension 4550

please help oh and i also forgot to mention i cant buy sound drivers cause my parents dont let me buy those things :{ please help me 

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 5:13 AM
  • So did you find solution for your problem, because I have the same problem, after reinstallation my sound also doesn't work, and the PC registers sound being produced ???
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 10:55 AM
  • I am at such a loss with this issue and I really hope someone can help me. I'll do my best to give as much information as I have.

Okay. So, my father-in-law built me a new computer for Christmas. Everything is perfect on it, except that the soundcard it came with {Realtek AC97} doesn't work. That's fine, I bought a new one { 4 Channel PCI Sound Adapter Card - AC97 3D Audio}.

I disabled the Realtek soundcard in the BIOS, then turned off the computer and install the PCI card. I then turned the computer back on and waited for Windows 7 to recognize the hardware. It never did. So I went ahead and installed the drivers from the CD it came with. The drivers installed just fine, but the card itself still isn't recognized by the computer.

In the Device Manager, there are no yellow or red issues to be seen; when I click on the sound option under Device Manager, it says "This device is working properly." I even tried "Check for hardware changes" and nothing happens. In the bottom right corner of my taskbar, there's a big red X next to my sound options. It says "No audio output device installed."

My speakers are plugged in and there's power running to them. In fact, I get a crackling noise whenever I attempt to play sound from the computer.

I know that the soundcard is working because I installed it on another computer and it recognized it immediately {running Windows XP, mind you}.

The issue now seems to be that there are no available drivers for Windows 7 for this sound card {at least none that I can find}.  That's our assumption, anyway, as I can find neither hide nor hair of any.  And the Vista ones aren't cutting it.

Advice? Questions? Comments?

Thank you all!

Friday, January 07, 2011 11:40 PM
  • DanB33 -- Wow.  Five days of banging my head against the wall with (close to) the same problem as Jenn.  Your post was the help I was begging for.  Installation was a breeze.  Music never sounded so good.  Thanks!
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:26 AM
  • Thank you for your help

I've solved this problem which bothered me all the time

Have a nice day : )

Saturday, March 05, 2011 8:33 PM
  • HEY could you tell me what the name of the driver is called?

thanks in advance

Saturday, March 26, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Hello all!

Ok, just install Windows 7. Had same problems with audio drivers.Easy!

Click on the icon. Digital audio- check for the jack...it shows a coluor (orange) by windows dafault. Change the jack according to speakers...or other input audio you have.

It will change automatically! so....sound!!!!:)

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:20 PM
  • i have a mac book laptop but it does not support sound in window 7 how can i find out the drivers .plz any one can help me its a big problem for me

Sunday, May 08, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Hello. I hope someone can help me with this because driving me nuts.

I have a packardbell easynote MX- 66/ ALP- Ajax GN.

I recently installed windows 7, its great and all except I have no sound whatsoever! I checked the properties and saw that all sound drivers are working properly and do not need updating  tried troubleshooting and it has no new updates or system errors. So I tried downloading new drivers for it and still nothing although am not sure if am doing it correctly or if am missing something.

In the Sound management the speaker says unplugged  but yet says working properly. Here is the driver version 6.1.7600.16385

I used this to look online for updates or new compatible drivers to it and I have no luck.

Hellllppppp pleaseee!! Am going crazy without sounddd! I even miss the windows startupp sound!

Who ever has a solution to this, a quick easy fix for amateurs. Will be a GOD in my eyesss!!

Thanks

Saturday, June 18, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Hello. I hope someone can help me with this because driving me nuts.

I have a packardbell easynote MX- 66/ ALP- Ajax GN.

I recently installed windows 7, its great and all except I have no sound whatsoever! I checked the properties and saw that all sound drivers are working properly and do not need updating  tried troubleshooting and it has no new updates or system errors. So I tried downloading new drivers for it and still nothing although am not sure if am doing it correctly or if am missing something.

In the Sound management the speaker says unplugged  but yet says working properly. Here is the driver version 6.1.7600.16385

I used this to look online for updates or new compatible drivers to it and I have no luck.

Hellllppppp pleaseee!! Am going crazy without sounddd! I even miss the windows startupp sound!

Who ever has a solution to this, a quick easy fix for amateurs. Will be a GOD in my eyesss!!

Thanks

Why do people keep thinking they can find drivers for other manufacturers' product here?  If you cannot obtain audio drivers from the manufacturer website, then you definitely will not find them here!

Microsoft does not write nor publish drivers for third party hardware.  That is the sole responsibility of the hardware manufacturer!

A quick search of the internet for MX-66 drivers only reveals Windows XP driver, NO Windows 7 drivers.  So, you are OUT OF LUCK!

There is no Windows 7 support for your system!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 7:09 PM
  • dear medinaline

can you please tell me exactly how you did this?

can you email me the info to randykamaltnk@gmail.com?

i would like my ibm thinkpad t23 8647ru's realtek ac97 chip to work.

thanks for the informing post here, this is a good site here.

Friday, July 22, 2011 12:37 PM
  • Problem

The user allowed windows to automatically download updates. Contained in these updates was a driver for a video card. The user did not pay attention to the updates being loaded within the list. When the updates finished, the system rebooted and the duel displays no longer worked. The user found that the monitor was showing up in the display properties but no second display in the monitors.

Synopsis

It is very important to make sure that when allowing Microsoft updates to download and install that the user should take the time to review what has been suggested by Microsoft. Not all drivers or updates are need.

Resolution

The solution to the problem was corrected by downloading the original drivers from the manufactures website. Once the drivers were reloaded the duel display was restored. The user just need to check the box to use the second monitor as extended in the Display properties box.

Timothy Kirk

Internetwork Consulting

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:08 PM
  • I also have a problem with my audio device. it says "no audio output device installed" in my window 7. I followed some instructions online and it says to check in device manger then udate the audio device at sound, video and game controller. The problem is I couldn't find the "sound, video and game controller" term in it. is there another solution to fix it?
    timolippian2
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:40 PM
  • This solution worked perfectly to me, here is how I make it:

-first uninstal the windows 7 sound drivers form the device manager

-donwload the dirver bellow

-install the driver bellow

:) worked perfectly for me I have an hp dv2000 :)

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:31 PM
  • I had the same error with my HP5100sff...this is what fixed it for me in Windows 7..Start -> Computer -> System Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Hardware -> Device Installation Settings -> click on "yes, do this automatically"....save changes..then rebooted and yes my sound issue was fixed...good luck..hope it works for you
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:06 AM
  • Hey guyz plz help me..

I've got windows 7 nd an Sonny Vaio laptop... It has built in speakrs nd the sounds worked great bt nw it isn't workin... i checked fr solutions nd de say thres no driver installed so plz tell me where to download the driver link plz plz plz plz

Thursday, September 08, 2011 1:25 AM
  • Hi Assassin,

Open the "Device Manager" console and Scan for new hadware.

Right click the sound option and select "update device software"

Click first option "download automaticaly" it will search for drivers on the internet or choose second option "browse on my computer".

You can download the drivers from http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/select-system.pl?PRODTYPE=24

Jotiba Patil
    Monday, September 19, 2011 10:26 AM
  • Thanks, Arthur.

I had the same problem with the Windows 7 sound driver for the ASUS M2N-MX motherboard.

Your solution worked for me.

Because the ftp link you provided seems to be inactive at this time, I managed to find the AD1988_Vista_61016110.zip driver here:

http://www.asusdriver.net/download-driver-asus-p5b-e-motherboard-audio-driver-10.html

Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Hi,

I am using desktop computer with mercury motherboard with windows7.

Processor: Pentium dualcore E580 @3.20 GHz

32 bit OS

Installed windows7 OS but audio is not working.... 

How to solve this problem... please help me.....

Thanks

Prasad

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 2:24 PM
  • download and install this after the install is finished your pc will be restarted automatically if not restart manually.

for more problem solving add me on twitter @MRrussianG

Friday, March 02, 2012 7:19 PM
  • you are 'THE DADDY' !!!! Thanks for curing a two week headache.

WORKS PERFECTLY ...........so easy _ when you know how.

Monday, March 19, 2012 10:22 AM
  • HP pavilion dv4.  after installing Windows 7 the audio would not work except with headphones.

I copied this link and ran it.  Problem fixed.  Thank you much.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:40 AM
  • Success thank you very much.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Andy - thank you for your kind offer of help.  I have a new netbook, Samsung N102, and firstly emailed Samsung about no mic for Skype.  They replied 'there is indeed a built-in mic' and advised me to check the audio settings.  I did but found no way of enabling any integrated mic, so bought a portable external one with a jack connection.   \since then, not only does the Skype mic set up not work (I have tried all computer settings and Skype audio tests which donot show a problem) - yet I cannot hear any audio on video clips You \tube BBC video reportage = no sound.

I have looked at my Windows 7 troubleshoot suggestions and they really found no solution and in fact could not detect a problem.  Is this a sound card  problem ?  

Thank you... if you can make a suggestions. I'm grateful to you.

Ann0

Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:05 PM
  • I was hoping you'd give an answer that I could use, since I'm not Totally computer literate cuz you described my problem to a t. I've been reading these forums for week, and this particular one for 6 hrs trying to find somebody that said the word "glitch" cuz that's what I call my sound problem. It acts like it want to hang like a record that gets stuck and it makes a glitchy sound and I'm sure it's b/c of a driver, but I can't for the life of me figure out which one or what to do. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and checked updates and everything, but I need somebody to walk me thru a solution. LOL
    Monday, October 29, 2012 11:00 PM