none
1903 - delay new OS updates is sometimes missing RRS feed

• Question

• I'm upgrading about 60 WinX PCs over to 1903. We delayed 1903 in order to avoid being public beta testers, which in the past has rendered many PCs unusable due to poor QA (defects) of the updates and new features. I have several 1903 PCs with the advanced option to delay the next OS version after 1903 for 365 days. However, this is inconsistent. Many PCs on 1903 lack the new OS delay. This is a software defect.

What is the source of this inconsistency? All of these PCs are the Pro version and members of our domain. How do I consistently delay the installation of the next OS until after the next public beta testing is stable?

Why does the QA department at MS not care about the cost they are pushing out to the public as we struggle to clean up after their defects escape into the wild? Why is a cost savings at MS such a penalty for the end users? Being a government worker, I must object to wasting the tax dollars of our citizens in order for the owners to buy bigger yachts? How many of the world's largest yachts does one man need anyway? Why so greedy? Hogs get fat. Pigs get slaughtered. My citizens are poor. We are a PILT county. We can't afford to continue buy bigger yachts for a man who does not care about our citizens. This is wrong. This is evil.

Kurt Angel

Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You can use GPO to set delay update,  

Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business > Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are Received

And for more information,you can see in the below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-wufb-group-policy

And you can refer to this to set:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-delay-windows-10-insider-preview-builds-your-pc

Best regards,

Charlotte Tang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 8:17 AM
  • Thank you Charlotte! I sent this link to my boss/network admin.

The reason we did this exercise is to activate Faronics AV new replacement for WSUS. Your GPO will ensure FAV complies with this need to avoid the public beta testing in the first 30 days.

I do hope to learn how to restore the option for 365 Feature delay. Not all of my customers are internal to our domain. So, I also need a workgroup fix.

While this is a possible answer, I hope a workgroup fix will be documented and then list that answer too.

Thanks CT!

Friday, October 18, 2019 6:14 PM
  • I"m done flipping PCs to 1903. The defect rate went down to about 1/5. A poor defect rate is 1/100,000. A good defect rate is 1/1,000,000. So, 1/5 is the best defect rateMS can do in this instance, apparently. 

I still have no way to delay the next OS version on a lot of systems. Some of these are not on a domain. So, GPO is usel

My language is English. How cleaver to change that. Someone must be very proud of this gigantic achievement. Bravo! Sorry but I have a job to do and must insist on a fix for this software defect.

How do I restore the option to delay the next OS on a 1903 PC?

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:05 PM
  • This may help everyone. It seems this is a known software defect.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/28/windows-10-1903-the-case-of-the-missing-update-deferral-options/

KA

• Marked as answer by Swain IT Thursday, November 7, 2019 1:52 PM
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 1:52 PM