none
Family Tree Maker files Zipped? RRS feed

• Question

• I am transitioning from my old desktop(Windows 7) to a new one with Window 10 and Explorer Edge. In the past in my old Pc I kept my family files on an external drive SimpleTech 500gb, and had no issue with opening it. Yesterday I installed Family Tree Maker 2014 from disk to the new computer with no issues, except that when I go to open any of my files they don't show up. So I went to the folder and instead of having the original .ftm file type they now all show to be zipped and this new format of either Windows or Edge seems to be preventing access to 20 years+ research. HELP!!!!!
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:09 PM

Answers

• Please check with application vendor on this. 

Could be a newer version of app ? 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:13 PM
  • Hi KatieMcDonald,

"they now all show to be zipped and this new format of either Windows or Edge seems to be preventing access to 20 years+ research"
    Are all the files included in the hard drive or just the .ftm file type zipped?
    If all the files are zipped, I suspect the machine or the hard drive may have been injected by virus. Please perform a full scan with the antivirus.

If only  the .ftm file type was zipped, we could right click it to choose open it with Family Tree Maker 2014 to have a troubleshoot. We could configure the Family Tree Maker 2014 as the default program to have a test.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set your default programs

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 6:03 AM

All replies

• what do you mean with "show to be zipped", are all files now compressed in a zip file?
    Or have the file extensions changed?
    As the "SimpleTech 500gb" is just a portable HDD (and according to the Amazon reviews not a good one), I hope you have an additional backup of the data on an other drive. 

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 9:31 PM
  • Please check with application vendor on this. 

Could be a newer version of app ? 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:13 PM
  • Hi KatieMcDonald,

"they now all show to be zipped and this new format of either Windows or Edge seems to be preventing access to 20 years+ research"
    Are all the files included in the hard drive or just the .ftm file type zipped?
    If all the files are zipped, I suspect the machine or the hard drive may have been injected by virus. Please perform a full scan with the antivirus.

If only  the .ftm file type was zipped, we could right click it to choose open it with Family Tree Maker 2014 to have a troubleshoot. We could configure the Family Tree Maker 2014 as the default program to have a test.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set your default programs

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 6:03 AM