none
IPV6 Route Advertisement not forwarded by Hyper-V Default Switch (Windows 10 1909) to guest VM's RRS feed

• Question

• My home network is dual stack ipv4/ipv6 and I'd like my VM's to be able to use ipv6 to the Internet.

My home router advertises a /64 suffix to the network but this does not reach the VM's.

I want to enable ipv6 forwarding on the Hyper-V Default Switch but can't find any information about how to achieve this.

I prefer to change the Hyper-V Default Switch opposed to setting up a separate switch since that defeats the purpose of the default switch (it should work out-of-the-box)

Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.592

Saturday, January 18, 2020 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

>>I want to enable ipv6 forwarding on the Hyper-V Default Switch but can't find any information about how to achieve this.

>>I prefer to change the Hyper-V Default Switch opposed to setting up a separate switch since that defeats the purpose of the default switch (it should work out-of-the-box)

We cannot remove or manage default switch, so I am afraid we cannot enable IPV6 forwarding on the default switch.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, January 20, 2020 9:18 AM
  • any chance in enabling some options through powershell to the default switch to enable it?

Alternatively: Why would the default switch only allow for ipv4 routable traffic if public ipv6 is available in the host network?

Monday, January 27, 2020 3:40 PM
  • Hi ,

Sorry for the delayed response.

>>any chance in enabling some options through powershell to the default switch to enable it?

No ,we cannot manage default switch.

>>Alternatively: Why would the default switch only allow for ipv4 routable traffic if public ipv6 is available in the host network?

I did not find any related article talking about that if default switch will allow for IPV6 traffic. 

Please understand, our forum doesn't focus on IPV6 related question, so I need to do more research on it. If we have any updates or any thoughts about this issue, we will keep you posted as soon as possible.

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, February 6, 2020 8:38 AM