none
Migration from 2010 to 2016, problem with send mail to draft, no solution mentioned works RRS feed

• Question

• I'm migration an exchange 2010 server to a 2016 server.
    They work in co-existence.

i followd this guide on techgenix  : migrating-small-organization-exchange-2010-exchange-2016-part1/
    But i got stuck on the Part 4 page by Testing base functionality.

i created an mailbox, 
    i can login to that thru OWA, but when i send a message it directly goes into the drafts folder.
    Offourse i googled it, an founded out that i wasnt the only one with this problem.
    unfortunatly, after 2 days strugling all the tips and solutions didnt work for my case.

Send and recieve connectors are present, (just the defaults, en 1 extra for anonymous relais, so the 2010 can route mail thru 2016 as the guide discibes)
    All services are running
    Component states are all active
    telnet test from the 2016 server to an external server works
    as for as i know, onlt internal DNS is present.
    exch2010 user can login to 2016 OWA (en then gets the 2010 interface )
    I cannot ad the 2016 mailbox in outlook (but i think its normal because i before the point of changeing dns )

I enabled logging on all connectors (send and recieve) but i found out no log for send gets created on : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Hub\ProtocolLog\SmtpSend

Only thing i can find is an error in the following log :  C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Mailbox\Connectivity\Submission
    Errors : 

2019-11-15T11:41:51.541Z,08D769A942580323,SMTP,mailboxtransportsubmissioninternalproxy,>,Failed connection to 195.128.xxx.123:2525 (TimedOut:0000274C)[TargetHost:EXCH01.xxxx.nl:2525|MarkedUnhealthy|FailureCount:23|NextRetryTime:2019-11-15T11:51:51.541Z][TargetIPAddress:195.128.xxx.123:2525|MarkedUnhealthy|FailureCount:23|NextRetryTime:2019-11-15T11:51:51.541Z]

i dont have any idea of wich that ip adres is from, dns lookup shows its an interip.nl adress.
    But the target host mentioned, is my own 2016 exchange server.... 

Its getting me a big headache, i hope someone can give me some support on this... for now i parked it till monday

Friday, November 15, 2019 12:00 PM

Answers

• Well, 
    i was done searching for something i didnt know what to search for.

So this morning i uninstalled Echange 2016 completly.
    Rebooted the server, 
    installed exchange again, 
    created an user mailbox, en did a test.

Mail goes directly to send items.
    mail form 2010 to 2016 works instanty,
    Only thing i needed was telling the old 2010 server it can relay mail from the 2016.
    Also external mail works.

Finaly i can go further with the migration from 2010 tot 2016, and then to 2019

• Marked as answer by StevedeM Thursday, December 12, 2019 12:12 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi 

Any AV on the server or 3rd party products?

Are all the exchange services started?

How are the resources on the server? Enough space etc.?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, November 15, 2019 5:55 PM
  • Hello,

Could you restart these 2 services : Exchange transport and transport submission.

And check in same time the event view applicatif.

do you see an error/warning revelant ?

could you show us (without private data) the get-sendconnector | fl

Olivier.

Friday, November 15, 2019 8:45 PM
  • Hi StevedeM,

We helped you cover your IP address, please pay more attention next time.

What's the detailed version of your Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2016?

Actually, for internal messages, you don't have to create an additional receive connector to relay messages. Anonymous relay is a common requirement for many businesses that have internal web servers, database servers, monitoring applications, or other network devices that generate email messages, but are incapable of actually sending those messages.

Did you send messages to internal users or external users with mailbox created on Exchange 2016?

As Olivier mentioned, please try to restart Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Transport Submission and Microsoft Exchange Transport services on Exchange 2016, and make sure the startup type is set to Automatic.

You can try to reproduce this issue, and check Event Viewer for any related event logs.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 7:55 AM
  • Exchange 2010 version : 14.3.123.4
    Exchange 2016 version : 15.1.1847.3

Yes all services are started, 
    Even all component states are active.

I restarted both services, no result (even restarted the whole 2016 server a few times)

@Lydia, That IP isnt mine IP adres, its just an internet ip i founds in the logd, probaly from the spam filter.
    But internal mail doesnt work also.

But the problem is that internal also dont work. (only between 2010 and 2016, production enviroment for the users on 2010 works fine)
    I installed the exchange 2016, created a mailbox on the 2016 server, the user/mailbox shows in de address list on the 2010 server, but mail to the 2016 users doenst arrive, also mails send from the 2016 user to an 2010 user, of an external user stays in the draft folder.

so indeed, internal mail (with anonymaus recieve connector) doest work also.

Is it possible to reinstall exchange 2016 ?

Result form GET-SENDCONNECTOR :
    The above one is from the SBS2010/Exchange 2010, the bottom one is from Exchange 2016

DNSRoutingEnabled            : True
    DomainSecureEnabled          : False
    Enabled                      : True
    ErrorPolicies                : Default
    ForceHELO                    : False
    Fqdn                         : server.domain.nl
    FrontendProxyEnabled         : False
    HomeMTA                      : Microsoft MTA
    HomeMtaServerId              : DC01
    Identity                     : Windows SBS Internet Send DC01
    IgnoreSTARTTLS               : False
    IsScopedConnector            : False
    IsSmtpConnector              : True
    MaxMessageSize               : 20 MB (20,971,520 bytes)
    Name                         : Windows SBS Internet Send DC01
    Port                         : 25
    ProtocolLoggingLevel         : Verbose
    Region                       : NotSpecified
    RequireOorg                  : False
    RequireTLS                   : False
    SmartHostAuthMechanism       : None
    SmartHosts                   : {}
    SmartHostsString             :
    SmtpMaxMessagesPerConnection : 20
    SourceIPAddress              : 0.0.0.0
    SourceRoutingGroup           : Exchange Routing Group (DWBGZMFD01QNBJR)
    SourceTransportServers       : {DC01}
    TlsAuthLevel                 :
    TlsCertificateName           :
    TlsDomain                    :
    UseExternalDNSServersEnabled : False

AddressSpaces                : {SMTP:*;1, SMTP:*.smtpout-eu.mtaroutes.com;1}
    AuthenticationCredential     :
    CloudServicesMailEnabled     : False
    Comment                      :
    ConnectedDomains             : {}
    ConnectionInactivityTimeOut  : 00:10:00
    ConnectorType                : Default
    DNSRoutingEnabled            : True
    DomainSecureEnabled          : False
    Enabled                      : True
    ErrorPolicies                : Default
    ForceHELO                    : False
    Fqdn                         : server.domain.nl
    FrontendProxyEnabled         : False
    HomeMTA                      : Microsoft MTA
    HomeMtaServerId              : EXCH01
    Identity                     : EXCH01_Send_Connector
    IgnoreSTARTTLS               : False
    IsScopedConnector            : False
    IsSmtpConnector              : True
    MaxMessageSize               : 35 MB (36,700,160 bytes)
    Name                         : EXCH01_Send_Connector
    Port                         : 25
    ProtocolLoggingLevel         : Verbose
    Region                       : NotSpecified
    RequireOorg                  : False
    RequireTLS                   : False
    SmartHostAuthMechanism       : None
    SmartHosts                   : {}
    SmartHostsString             :
    SmtpMaxMessagesPerConnection : 20
    SourceIPAddress              : 0.0.0.0
    SourceRoutingGroup           : Exchange Routing Group (DWBGZMFD01QNBJR)
    SourceTransportServers       : {EXCH01}
    TlsAuthLevel                 :
    TlsCertificateName           :
    TlsDomain                    :
    UseExternalDNSServersEnabled : False

Since today, i do find an eventvwr error on the MSExchangeSubmission source, that wasnt there on friday after restart services .. its part in dutch, 
    It look likes its missing something.

Kan de beschrijving van gebeurtenis-id 16024 van bron MSExchangeSubmission niet vinden. Het onderdeel dat de gebeurtenis heeft gestart is mogelijk niet op de lokale computer geïnstalleerd, of de installatie is beschadigd. U kunt het onderdeel op de lokale computer installeren of herstellen.

Als de gebeurtenis van een andere computer afkomstig is, moest de weergave-informatie bij de gebeurtenis zijn opgeslagen.

De volgende informatie is in de gebeurtenis opgenomen: 

Faulted
    Exceptions Encountered - System.AggregateException: Er zijn één of meer fouten opgetreden. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Het doel van een aanroep heeft een uitzondering veroorzaakt. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Kan bestand of assembly Microsoft.Forefront.AntiSpam.SpamEngine, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35 of een van de afhankelijkheden hiervan niet laden. Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Malware.SubmissionMalwareAgentFactory..ctor()
       --- Einde van intern uitzonderingsstackpad ---
       bij System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
       bij System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       bij System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
       bij System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       bij System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       bij System.Reflection.Assembly.CreateInstance(String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.FactoryTable.<>c__DisplayClass20_0.<CreateAgentFactory>b__0(Assembly assembly)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.FactoryTable.LoadAssemblyAndCreateInstance[T](AgentInfo agentInfo, CreateInstance`1 createInstance, String& agentPath, Exception& exception)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.FactoryTable.CreateAgentFactory(AgentInfo agentInfo)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.FactoryTable..ctor(IEnumerable agents, FactoryInitializer factoryInitializer)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.FactoryTable.CreateDefaultFactoryTable(IEnumerable agents, FactoryInitializer factoryInitializer)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.RuntimeSettings..ctor(IMExConfiguration config, String agentGroup, FactoryInitializer factoryInitializer, IAgentGrayExceptionHandler agentGrayExceptionHandler, IExecutionStatisticsCollectorFactory statisticCollectorFactory, ITransportComponentConfiguration settingsConfiguration)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.RuntimeSettingsFactory.CreateDefaultRuntimeSettings(IMExConfiguration config, String agentGroup, FactoryInitializer factoryInitializer, IAgentGrayExceptionHandler agentGrayExceptionHandler, IExecutionStatisticsCollectorFactory statisticCollectorFactory, ITransportComponentConfiguration settingsConfiguration)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.RuntimeSettingsFactory.Create(IMExConfiguration config, String agentGroup, FactoryInitializer factoryInitializer, IAgentGrayExceptionHandler agentGrayExceptionHandler, IExecutionStatisticsCollectorFactory statisticCollectorFactory, ITransportComponentConfiguration settingsConfiguration)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.MExRuntime..ctor(String configFile, String agentGroup, ProcessTransportRole processTransportRole, IAgentGrayExceptionHandler agentGrayExceptionHandler, IExecutionStatisticsCollectorFactory statisticCollectorFactory, FactoryInitializer factoryInitializer, ITransportComponentConfiguration transportComponentConfiguration)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.StoreDriver.Shared.MExWrapper..ctor(String configFilePath, ProcessTransportRole role, LatencyAgentGroup latencyAgentGroup, String agentGroup, Func`2 getGrayExceptionContextData)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.StoreDriver.Shared.MExWrapper.CreateDefaultMExWrapper(String configFilePath, ProcessTransportRole role, LatencyAgentGroup latencyAgentGroup, String agentGroup, Func`2 getGrayExceptionContextData)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.StoreDriver.Shared.MExWrapper.Create(String configFilePath, ProcessTransportRole role, LatencyAgentGroup latencyAgentGroup, String agentGroup, Func`2 getGrayExceptionContextData)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.Submission.Categorizer.SubmissionCategorizerComponent.LoadWorker()
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.Submission.Categorizer.SubmissionCategorizerComponent.<Load>b__36_0()
       bij System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
    ---> (Interne uitzondering #0) System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Het doel van een aanroep heeft een uitzondering veroorzaakt. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Kan bestand of assembly Microsoft.Forefront.AntiSpam.SpamEngine, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35 of een van de afhankelijkheden hiervan niet laden. Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Malware.SubmissionMalwareAgentFactory..ctor()
       bij System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
       bij System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       bij System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
       bij System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       bij System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       bij System.Reflection.Assembly.CreateInstance(String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.FactoryTable.<>c__DisplayClass20_0.<CreateAgentFactory>b__0(Assembly assembly)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.FactoryTable.LoadAssemblyAndCreateInstance[T](AgentInfo agentInfo, CreateInstance`1 createInstance, String& agentPath, Exception& exception)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.FactoryTable.CreateAgentFactory(AgentInfo agentInfo)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.FactoryTable..ctor(IEnumerable agents, FactoryInitializer factoryInitializer)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.FactoryTable.CreateDefaultFactoryTable(IEnumerable agents, FactoryInitializer factoryInitializer)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.RuntimeSettings..ctor(IMExConfiguration config, String agentGroup, FactoryInitializer factoryInitializer, IAgentGrayExceptionHandler agentGrayExceptionHandler, IExecutionStatisticsCollectorFactory statisticCollectorFactory, ITransportComponentConfiguration settingsConfiguration)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.RuntimeSettingsFactory.CreateDefaultRuntimeSettings(IMExConfiguration config, String agentGroup, FactoryInitializer factoryInitializer, IAgentGrayExceptionHandler agentGrayExceptionHandler, IExecutionStatisticsCollectorFactory statisticCollectorFactory, ITransportComponentConfiguration settingsConfiguration)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.RuntimeSettingsFactory.Create(IMExConfiguration config, String agentGroup, FactoryInitializer factoryInitializer, IAgentGrayExceptionHandler agentGrayExceptionHandler, IExecutionStatisticsCollectorFactory statisticCollectorFactory, ITransportComponentConfiguration settingsConfiguration)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.MExRuntime..ctor(String configFile, String agentGroup, ProcessTransportRole processTransportRole, IAgentGrayExceptionHandler agentGrayExceptionHandler, IExecutionStatisticsCollectorFactory statisticCollectorFactory, FactoryInitializer factoryInitializer, ITransportComponentConfiguration transportComponentConfiguration)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.StoreDriver.Shared.MExWrapper..ctor(String configFilePath, ProcessTransportRole role, LatencyAgentGroup latencyAgentGroup, String agentGroup, Func`2 getGrayExceptionContextData)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.StoreDriver.Shared.MExWrapper.CreateDefaultMExWrapper(String configFilePath, ProcessTransportRole role, LatencyAgentGroup latencyAgentGroup, String agentGroup, Func`2 getGrayExceptionContextData)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.StoreDriver.Shared.MExWrapper.Create(String configFilePath, ProcessTransportRole role, LatencyAgentGroup latencyAgentGroup, String agentGroup, Func`2 getGrayExceptionContextData)
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.Submission.Categorizer.SubmissionCategorizerComponent.LoadWorker()
       bij Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.Submission.Categorizer.SubmissionCategorizerComponent.<Load>b__36_0()
       bij System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()<---

de berichtbron is aanwezig, maar het bericht kan niet in de tekenreeks/bericht-tabel worden gevonden

Monday, November 18, 2019 9:22 AM
  • Did you tried to reinstalle anti spam agent ?

& $env:ExchangeInstallPath\Scripts\uninstall-antispamagents.ps1
    & $env:ExchangeInstallPath\Scripts\Install-AntiSpamAgents.ps1

did you see them :

get-transportagent ?

Olivier

Monday, November 18, 2019 12:03 PM
  • did that multiple times, because it keeps returning the error in the log after restarting the submission service.

Also now, the result from get-transportagent :

Identity                                           Enabled         Priority
    --------                                           -------         --------
    Transport Rule Agent                               True            1
    DLP Policy Agent                                   True            2
    Retention Policy Agent                             True            3
    Supervisory Review Agent                           True            4
    Malware Agent                                      True            5
    Text Messaging Routing Agent                       True            6
    Text Messaging Delivery Agent                      True            7
    System Probe Drop Smtp Agent                       True            8
    System Probe Drop Routing Agent                    True            9
    Content Filter Agent                               True            10
    Sender Id Agent                                    True            11
    Sender Filter Agent                                True            12
    Recipient Filter Agent                             True            13
    Protocol Analysis Agent                            True            14

But the event viewer gives me the error ID 16024 from MSExchangesubbmission 
    : System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Kan bestand of assembly Microsoft.Forefront.AntiSpam.SpamEngine, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken...... etc

i founded something, i didnt look before.
    my collegae installed the windows 2016 server, set the IP etc en did the domain join.

i now see that the dns extension of the 2010 server is server.domain.local.
    but on the exchange 2016 server its server.domain.nl instead of .local.
    could that be the problem ?
    i cant change it, then exchange stops working, do i need te uninstall exchange, change the dns setting on the domain settings page, en then reinstall exchange ?

is it even possible to uninstall an exchange server 2016 in co-existence ?

Monday, November 18, 2019 12:17 PM
  • ok... did some further research, 
    founded that there was a problem with .net 4.7.2, so installed 4.8
    Same result.

Found an other issue wat look simular to mine.
    there they installed exchange thru the setup.exe and GUI (like i did)
    The solution for that was starting setup in elevated command prompt with : 

It installs all component, but fails on finalizing setup with this error :
    [11-19-2019 12:48:40.0800] [1] 4.  ErrorRecord: 

[11-19-2019 12:48:40.0800] [1] 4.  ErrorRecord: System.Management.Automation.RemoteException: 

[11-19-2019 12:48:40.0800] [1] [ERROR] The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); 
              $dependentAssemblyGeneratorExePath = [System.IO.Path]::Combine($RoleInstallPath, "bin", "DependentAssemblyGenerator.exe");
              $exchangeBinPath = [System.IO.Path]::Combine($RoleInstallPath, "bin");
              $frontEndPath = [System.IO.Path]::Combine($RoleInstallPath, "FrontEnd");
              $clientAccessPath = [System.IO.Path]::Combine($RoleInstallPath, "ClientAccess");
              $sharedWebConfig = [System.IO.Path]::Combine($RoleInstallPath, "FrontEnd", "HttpProxy", "SharedWebConfig.config");

$a = &"$dependentAssemblyGeneratorExePath" -exchangePath "$exchangeBinPath" -exchangePath "$frontEndPath" -exchangePath "$clientAccessPath" -configFile "$sharedWebConfig";
              $a | % { $line = "DependentAssemblyGenerator: " +  $_; Write-ExchangeSetupLog -Info $line }
              Stop-SetupService -ServiceName WAS;
              Start-SetupService -ServiceName W3SVC;
            " was run: "System.Management.Automation.RemoteException: 
    ".
    [11-19-2019 12:48:40.0800] [1] [ERROR] 

[11-19-2019 12:48:40.0800] [1] [ERROR-REFERENCE] Id=CafePostSetupComponent___GenerateDependentAssemblies Component=EXCHANGE14:\Current\Release\Shared\Datacenter\Setup
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:59 PM
  • find the resolution for that to, 
    there is a time out of 120 seconds for the IISRESET, that was i little to short.
    so i helped a little by stopping IISadmin en WWW service.
    installion now completes, en no errors in exhange setup log.
    even eventvwr dont show that anoying errors anymore of the antispam.

only errors are :

ID 139 : MsExchangeOWA : There was an error setting up WacConfiguration. Wac will be disabled. 
    ID 4999 : MSExchange common : Watson report about to be sent for process id: 7976, with parameters: 
    ID 1032 : MSExchangeDiagnostics : The EDS Job manager failed to start the following jobs: Job: 'PFAssistantLog' creation failed.

ID139 and 1032 can be ignored i googled,
    ID 4999 should also not prevent my OWA message for stayning in drafts folder.

so unfortynatly, i'm still at the same point.

2 questions 
    1, could the wrong dns suffix .nl instead of .local on the network card cause this problem ?
    all other servers are .local 

2, can i uninstall 2016 completly without trowing down the 2010 server ?

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 1:55 PM
  • There are more things we can do to troubleshoot before uninstalling Exchange 2016. Reinstalling Exchange 2016 should be considered at last.

Since mailboxes on Exchange 2016 cannot get internal messages, does the Exchange 2010 user get any NDR messages after sending to Exchange 2016?

As is mentioned above, for internal mail flow, you don't have to create additional receive connectors to receive messages. Anonymous receive connector should not be used for internal mail flow. You can check this to know more about anonymous: Allow anonymous relay on Exchange servers.

We can use the message tracking log to trace the message sent from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016. You check both Exchange 2010 and 2016 server with the following command:

Get-MessageTrackingLog -MessageSubject <subject> -Sender <mailbox address> -Recipients <mailbox address> |select timestamp,EventID,Source,ConnectorID|sort-object Timestamp

We noticed that you are using Exchange 2010 SP3. However, to coexist with Exchange 2016, Exchange 2010 should be upgraded to Exchange 2010 SP3 RU11 or later versions. For reference: Exchange Server system requirements

You can choose the suitable time to upgrade Exchange 2010 server. Additionally, you can use Exchange Deployment Assistant tool to get more suggestions about deploying the coexistence environment between Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2016.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 2:21 AM
  • I see that now. the exchange2010 version
    this is very strange, because i upgraded the enviroment before i installed exchange 2016.
    i installed Update Rollup 22 then, by double clicking the file.
    after installation it says succesfull and the versionnumber changed.
    After that i restarted the 2010 server en i never had one look on the version number again.
    i didnt notice it was changed back to the old one.
    no i look in the update log, en it says it didnt succesfully installed.
    Stupid me, i didnt do that before

i wil install it again tonight, but will do i now thru command line.
    think this wil fix some issues

Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:19 AM
  • That's OK. If you have any updates after upgrading Exchange 2010 SP3, please feel free to post here.

Hope everything works well on your side.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Monday, November 25, 2019 10:15 AM
  • well, no progress yet.
    Been out of couple of days.
    But the update of exchange 2010 sp3 to RU 22 or later keeps failing.

The GUI says its completed, but version keeps the same.
    When i look in the UpdateConfigFiles.log it says the following :

[20:06:17] +++ Start adding Compliance dll to config files
    [20:06:17] Patching C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\PopImap\Microsoft.Exchange.Imap4.exe.config
    [20:06:17] Skipping, already contains compliance dll
    [20:06:17] Patching C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\PopImap\Microsoft.Exchange.Imap4Service.exe.config
    [20:06:17] Patching C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\PopImap\Microsoft.Exchange.Pop3.exe.config
    [20:06:17] Patching C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\PopImap\Microsoft.Exchange.Pop3Service.exe.config
    [20:06:17] --- End adding Compliance dll to config files
    [20:06:17] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\ecp\web.config does NOT contain %ExchangeInstallDir%
    [20:06:17] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Sync\web.config does NOT contain %ExchangeInstallDir%
    [20:06:17] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Autodiscover\web.config does NOT contain %ExchangeInstallDir%
    [20:06:17] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Owa\web.config does NOT contain %ExchangeInstallDir%
    [20:06:17] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\RpcProxy\web.config does NOT contain %ExchangeInstallDir%
    [20:06:17] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\exchweb\ews\management\web.config does NOT contain %ExchangeInstallDir%
    [20:06:17] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\exchweb\ews\web.config does NOT contain %ExchangeInstallDir%
    [20:06:17] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Owa\web.config does NOT contain enableViewStateMac="false"
    [20:06:55] Found endpoint supporting Http binding for UM legacy client

The first strange thing is the message : Skipping, already contains compliance dll
    does that mean there is already an updated dll ??

So i looked in a mentioned web.config.
    I think the installation directory is present.
    This part is from the C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\ecp\web.config file 
    All paths are correct (ore im looking over it) and all mentioned dll's are present.
    ::

<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
          <dependentAssembly>
            <!--OWA's dll is used to retrieve version number, so we don't add this dll for other languages.-->
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Owa\bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.dll"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
             <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Compliance" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
             <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Compliance.dll" />
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Security" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Security.dll"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Common" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Common.dll"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Core.Strings" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Core.Strings.dll"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.DelegatedAuth" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.DelegatedAuth.dll"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.CertificateAuth" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.CertificateAuth.dll"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Data" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Data.dll"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Providers" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Providers.dll"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Common" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\public\Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Common.dll"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\public\Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.dll"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.dll"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.dll"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Net" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Net.dll"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Exchange.Sqm" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
            <codeBase version="14.0.0.0" href="file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Sqm.dll" />
          </dependentAssembly>

Thursday, November 28, 2019 10:04 AM
  • when entering the command in EMS :  Get-Command ExSetup | ForEach {$_.FileVersionInfo}
    The result is : 14.03.417.001
    But looking into windows it says 14.3.123.4

Wich one is correct ?

Last week you asked for the result of message tracking :

Result from message tracking form 2010 to 2016 :

Timestamp                     EventId                       Source                        ConnectorId
    ---------                     -------                       ------                        -----------
    28-11-2019 11:15:28           RECEIVE                       STOREDRIVER

Result from message tracking from 2016 to 2010

Timestamp           EventId Source      ConnectorId
    ---------           ------- ------      -----------
    28-11-2019 11:21:31 RECEIVE STOREDRIVER
    28-11-2019 11:21:35 RECEIVE STOREDRIVER
    28-11-2019 11:21:38 RECEIVE STOREDRIVER
    28-11-2019 11:21:42 RECEIVE STOREDRIVER
    28-11-2019 11:21:46 RECEIVE STOREDRIVER
    28-11-2019 11:21:51 RECEIVE STOREDRIVER
    28-11-2019 11:21:57 RECEIVE STOREDRIVER
    28-11-2019 11:22:03 RECEIVE STOREDRIVER
    28-11-2019 11:22:09 RECEIVE STOREDRIVER
    28-11-2019 11:22:16 RECEIVE STOREDRIVER
    28-11-2019 11:22:23 RECEIVE STOREDRIVER
    28-11-2019 11:22:31 RECEIVE STOREDRIVER
    28-11-2019 11:22:44 RECEIVE STOREDRIVER

• Edited by StevedeM Thursday, November 28, 2019 10:24 AM
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 10:19 AM
  • The version checked from EMS should be correct. We cannot check the RU version from Control Panel, it only shows Exchange Server 2010 SP3 for Exchange 2010.

Right click Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Transport Submission on Exchange 2016 to check Properties. Go to Log On page, and make sure it is set to "Log on as Local System account".

If you have created additional connectors for the mail flow on Exchange 2016, please delete them. No additional connectors are needed for internal mail flow. The connectors created by default are enough to send/receive internal messages.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 8:13 AM
  • checked it, and yes it uses local system account.

there are no additional connectors created, just the defaults.

Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:37 AM
  • Hi StevedeM,

I checked you replies again. Did you install any third-party softwares on Exchange 2016? Please make sure port 2525 is not blocked.

Please use the following command to check all default receive connectors on Exchange 2016 are created:

Get-ReceiveConnector -server <server name>

You can check this for more information about Receive connectors on Exchange 2016.

I noticed that you created send connectors on Exchange 2016. Send connector is used to send emails to external mailboxes. Since you already have a send connector on Exchange 2010, you don't have to create one on Exchange 2016. Please delete the send connector on Exchange 2016.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 2:22 AM
  • Well, 
    i was done searching for something i didnt know what to search for.

So this morning i uninstalled Echange 2016 completly.
    Rebooted the server, 
    installed exchange again, 
    created an user mailbox, en did a test.

Mail goes directly to send items.
    mail form 2010 to 2016 works instanty,
    Only thing i needed was telling the old 2010 server it can relay mail from the 2016.
    Also external mail works.

Finaly i can go further with the migration from 2010 tot 2016, and then to 2019

• Marked as answer by StevedeM Thursday, December 12, 2019 12:12 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 12:12 PM
  • Thanks for your sharing and it's great that your issues is resolved. Here is a brief summary about this issue.

Issue Symptom:

I'm migration an exchange 2010 server to a 2016 server.

I created an mailbox, I can login to that through OWA, but when i send a message it directly goes into the drafts folder.

Find an error in the following log C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Mailbox\Connectivity\Submission

2019-11-15T11:41:51.541Z,08D769A942580323,SMTP,mailboxtransportsubmissioninternalproxy,>,Failed connection to 195.128.xxx.123:2525 (TimedOut:0000274C)[TargetHost:EXCH01.xxxx.nl:2525|MarkedUnhealthy|FailureCount:23|NextRetryTime:2019-11-15T11:51:51.541Z][TargetIPAddress:195.128.xxx.123:2525|MarkedUnhealthy|FailureCount:23|NextRetryTime:2019-11-15T11:51:51.541Z]

DNS lookup shows the IP is an interip.nl adress. The target host mentioned, is my own 2016 exchange server.

Possible Cause:

Something may not be configured well during the installation.

Solution:

Uninstall the Exchange 2016 completely, and reinstall it successfully.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Friday, December 13, 2019 1:22 AM