"Microsoft windows search filter host" is using too much (20-40%) of my CPU and the re-indexing fix didn't work. RRS feed

• Question

• I have already asked this question in Microsoft-community 

One of the moderators suggested to post the question here. I already checked only the "C drive" and started "rebuilding" and restarted and it didn't seem to work.

and i can't upload any inks or photos cause i am not verified, down is the link to my question in the Microsoft-community. Sorry for posting a link like this.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/microsoft-windows-search-filter-host-is-using-too/cb707705-3773-4e93-8c60-5bf543b31ba

Sunday, May 28, 2017 11:37 AM

All replies

• The URL you posted goes to a Thread Not Found for me btw.

Have you added any locations to the Indexing Options? mine shows Internet Explorer History, Start Menu and Users for locations.

Deleting the search index \ database does more than rebuild. To do that open an Admin Command Prompt and enter;

net stop WSEARCH
    rd C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search /s /q
    net start WSEARCH

If you have the Indexing Options screen you will see it then recreates \ builds the search index when the search service is started again by the last command.

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Sunday, May 28, 2017 2:10 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Monday, May 29, 2017 6:24 AM
    Sunday, May 28, 2017 2:09 PM
  • The URL you posted goes to a Thread Not Found for me btw.

My guess  (different poster but identical URL except for last character).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/microsoft-windows-search-filter-host-is-using-too/cb707705-3773-4e93-8c60-5bf543b31bab 

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, May 28, 2017 2:52 PM
  • I believe this is what you are asking me to show. So, do i still have to execute the commands? or there is any alternative.
    Sorry about the late reply.

Sunday, June 4, 2017 2:20 AM
  • Yes if you still have problems execute the commands to clear completely then rebuild the index.
    Sunday, June 4, 2017 9:59 AM
  • I had the same issue last week. Then I decided to choose folder by folder to be indexed. Things were going fine, index was being rebuilt and then in some point the problem started. 15-20% of CPU for Windows Search Filter Host. So I discovered that the cause was 4 old files (.CDR created in 2009) that were making the rebuild to go crazy. I killed the process (Windows Search Filter Host), moved the files to another folder (that wasn´t part of the index) and then everything ran fine. I made some tests to discover why those 4 specific files were causing the issue, tried to change permissions, names, extension, etc, but no matter what I did, the problem was there if I move them to an indexed folder. I was lucky that those files are not needed anymore, but that´s really weird. Hope that helps.
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:04 AM
  • Hi Luiz, can you tell me how you executed those steps you mentioned? thanks!
    Friday, May 18, 2018 2:41 PM
  • "So I discovered that the cause was 4 old files "

can you please describe the process how you discovered these???

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 8:36 AM