none
Win 7 does not recognize external hard disk

Question

• Laptop with XP recognize this disk. This WIN 7 recognize another external hard drive. What to do?

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi shai234,

What is the error while trying to access this drive? Also, could you please check the drive status in the Device Manager by the steps below first?

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. Double click to expand the "Disk drives".

3. Right click the external hard drive and click "Properties".

4. Please check if there is any error message listed.

Also, please go to Start, type Disk Management in to the Search box and then press Enter. In the tool bar, click on Action and then Rescan Disks.

If the issue persists, please apply this Hotfix to check the result: You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM

If the issue still exists after applying this Hotfix, could you please provide the exact error message and symptom in this issue?

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:08 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:41 AM

All replies

• Is there any software loaded with the disk? Or is it a normal partition and format?

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, x600, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:40 PM
  • the disk is empty. no partitions in it. format i think NTFS
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Use the disk management snapin with administration tools and system management.

Then remove any partitions, then create a new one and format it.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, x600, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:51 PM
  • i didn't format the disk, but when i inserted the external hard disk to the back USB port, the computer (running win 7) recognized it as "Portable USB drive", but I cannot open the file that i put in this drive. What can I do?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 1:39 AM
  • If you do not need any of the files, try formatting the disk. Otherwise get whem off with your XP machine.

I have seen a lot of problems with USB hard disks and XP moving to Windows 7

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 1:48 AM
  • And remember that you must format the disk with the FAT or FAT 32, otherwise there can be compatibility problems if you run NTFS on External drive, because the interface on the USB drive.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:02 AM
  • Hi shai234,

What is the error while trying to access this drive? Also, could you please check the drive status in the Device Manager by the steps below first?

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. Double click to expand the "Disk drives".

3. Right click the external hard drive and click "Properties".

4. Please check if there is any error message listed.

Also, please go to Start, type Disk Management in to the Search box and then press Enter. In the tool bar, click on Action and then Rescan Disks.

If the issue persists, please apply this Hotfix to check the result: You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM

If the issue still exists after applying this Hotfix, could you please provide the exact error message and symptom in this issue?

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:08 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:41 AM