Windows 10 Creators - sysprep image RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I try to create a standard image of Windows 10 Creators (1703) using audit mode as I made for Windows 10 (1511) and Windows 10 Anniversary (1607) but I face issues after sysprep.

When I deploy my syspreped image on a computer and I logon with a domain account (based on the default profile I created using copyprofile during sysprep) Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer and Windows Store won't start. Edge and Store are loading a long time and crash. Internet Explorer opens and closes directly.

I have no problem with these applications if I connect with the local Administrator account.

I followed exactly the same procedure as I used to create the previous Windows 10 version images.

Thanks in advance for your help

• Edited by dude1987 Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:01 AM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 7:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• This looks like a known issue - quite a few people reporting this in this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9aa31760-d675-42ca-b020-6c6aec93487f/copyprofile-in-sysprep-breaks-the-start-menu-in-creators-update-v1703

We've seen some other issues that were fixed by moving to the 1703 version of the ADK and the version of DISM within that, so that may be worth a try. But it may just be that copyprofile doesn't work currently in Creator's update.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Ok thank you for your reply. I removed all the Universal Windows App except Microsoft Edge and Windows Store that's why I noted problems only with these
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

If you could start Windows store and Internet Explorer with local Administrator account, but not access with domain account. I suspect registry or file system permissions may have been changed for your domain user.

We could refer to the following link to check the permission issue.  The steps should be applied to Windows 10, too.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2798317/win8-app-modern-apps-fail-to-start-if-default-registry-or-file-permissions-modified

To analyze the issue deeply, we could refer to the following link to use Process monitor tool to filter any “Access Denied” error.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/benjaminperkins/2013/05/03/using-process-monitor-to-solve-any-problem-including-debugdiag/

Best regards,

Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Joy-Qiao Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:41 AM
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:30 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer. You're right it seems to be a permission issue. If I connect with my user account and I try to access to C:\Users\Administrator (who is the profile copied during sysprep), UAC prompt me to give full access on this directory to my user.

If I choose "Continue" and as soon as my user have full access on C:\Users\Administrator, I can start Edge, IE and Store.

But do you know how can I correct this problem without giving full access to users on this directory?

Friday, May 19, 2017 8:19 AM
  • I probably found a solution... I removed the content of the "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache" directory and the "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat" file after sysprep before connecting with my new user and Edge, IE and Store seem to work again normally!

PS: You need to display hidden and system protected files to see these items

EDIT : it's also necessary to delete the content of "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache" directory as explain in this thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9aa31760-d675-42ca-b020-6c6aec93487f/copyprofile-in-sysprep-breaks-the-start-menu-in-creators-update-v1703?forum=win10itprosetup
    • Marked as answer by dude1987 Thursday, June 1, 2017 8:52 AM
    • Edited by dude1987 Friday, June 2, 2017 2:04 PM
    Tuesday, May 30, 2017 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

I think it would be very useful for other users.

Bests,

Joy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 5, 2017 7:37 AM
  • I probably found a solution... I removed the content of the "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache" directory and the "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat" file after sysprep before connecting with my new user and Edge, IE and Store seem to work again normally!

PS: You need to display hidden and system protected files to see these items

EDIT : it's also necessary to delete the content of "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache" directory as explain in this thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9aa31760-d675-42ca-b020-6c6aec93487f/copyprofile-in-sysprep-breaks-the-start-menu-in-creators-update-v1703?forum=win10itprosetup

Thanks!

Confirmed that deleting C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache, C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat, as well as C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache from the Administrator account that was created via MDT when the system booted, resolved the search issues for any new users that logged on to the system (both non-domain and domain).

Trying to figure out now how to resolve this from MDT, in order to remove this manual step

Loading the WIM file into DISM shows that the C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache is not present.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 10:12 PM
  • I make these operations during post-installation tasks... I don't use MDT but I think it works according to the same process.
    Thursday, June 8, 2017 6:08 AM