none
How do I turn off taskbar thumbnails RRS feed

• Question

• I tried the Group Policy and registry methods.  Niether method works.  When I hover over a taskbar button (wheather intentionally or not) I pops up preview thumbnails.  This is an annoying feature and should have a simple right click option to turn it off.

Gary
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 4:08 AM

Answers

• Believe it or not the option to turn off task bar thumbnails has bean removed foe 7 rc. But there is a registry trick that suppress them somewhat.

Open the 'regedit. exe' program which is in your windows folder.

Find this key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

and create this string:

"ExtendedUIHoverTime"=dword:00002328

This will increase the time it takes for the thumbnails to appear when the mouse is placed over a taskbar icon. 

Sunday, August 2, 2009 6:06 AM

All replies

• Believe it or not the option to turn off task bar thumbnails has bean removed foe 7 rc. But there is a registry trick that suppress them somewhat.

Open the 'regedit. exe' program which is in your windows folder.

Find this key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

and create this string:

"ExtendedUIHoverTime"=dword:00002328

This will increase the time it takes for the thumbnails to appear when the mouse is placed over a taskbar icon. 

Sunday, August 2, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Good answer.

Thanks

Any news on controls for the feature being made available to users in the final product?
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:08 PM