Remote Registry Service Stops RRS feed

• Question

• Server 2012 R2: The remote registry service stops for no reason. No errors are logged with the service in the event log, it appears to be some sort of idle time out. The only event logged is "7036 The Remote Registry service entered the stopped state."

The service is set to automatic and will start after a reboot but only runs for a short while before stopping itself. 

Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:11 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the suggestions. 

I have confirmed that the RPC service is running. Looking at the event logs the RPC service never stops, only the remote registry service. 

Also, I have already set the service to restart automatically after a failure, but since the service isn't failing it's never triggering a restart. 

The only thing I can think to do now is to just schedule a task to run to start the remote registry service every 10 minutes. 

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Friday, October 24, 2014 1:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Monday, October 27, 2014 2:57 AM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi

Can you check if the dependancy services are started as well?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:26 PM
  • Hi,
    I agree with Ed. Please check that Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is running.

In addition, some services may stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs. You can also check the Recovery dialog box in the Properties of the Remote Registry service.

Best regards,

Susie

Friday, October 17, 2014 2:35 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. 

I have confirmed that the RPC service is running. Looking at the event logs the RPC service never stops, only the remote registry service. 

Also, I have already set the service to restart automatically after a failure, but since the service isn't failing it's never triggering a restart. 

The only thing I can think to do now is to just schedule a task to run to start the remote registry service every 10 minutes. 

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Friday, October 24, 2014 1:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Monday, October 27, 2014 2:57 AM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 1:42 PM
  • Exact same thing happening to me. Server 2012. 

they were set to Auto start (triggered) i removed the trigger using SC and it just says Automatic now. I start the service and it stops after 10 mins. 

Any other thoughts?

Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:29 AM
  • Exact same thing happening to me. Server 2012. 

they were set to Auto start (triggered) i removed the trigger using SC and it just says Automatic now. I start the service and it stops after 10 mins. 

Any other thoughts?

I'm having this same exact issue on Windows Server 2012 R2.    Anyone have a solution to stop this service from stopping period?
    Saturday, November 1, 2014 1:06 AM
  • There's a KB article in Japanese only that explains it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2921969/ja

Starting with Windows 8 / Server 2012 it stops after 10 minutes of inactivity by design.

Make this change to the registry:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ RemoteRegistry 
    Name: DisableIdleStop 
    Type: REG_DWORD 
    Data: 1

Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:45 AM
  • Registry Key Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\RemoteRegistry

Registry Key: DisableIdleStop

Value Type:  REG_DWORD, data : 1
    Friday, September 21, 2018 6:03 PM