none
rundll32.exe not responding; screensaver very slow

Question

• I am running Windows XP Home Edition with SP3 on an HP Pavilion notebook.

Recently two problems developed, apparently simultateously:

1) I'm getting "rundll32.exe is not responding" warnings

2) my screensaver moves very, very slowly (although it moves correctly when previewed)....and it very slowly finds the pictures in the file which I have used as a screensaver for years.

Help would be much appreciated!  I am capable of following clear instructions, but I would not be able to figure out technical issues on my own.

Thank you!

Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:18 PM

All replies

• when do you get rundll32.exe ? Have you installed any desktop customization softwares ??

Regards, h9ck3r.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 4:12 AM
  • Hello h9ck3r.  Thank you for responding, and my apologies for being off-line for so long.

In the interim, I uninstalled and reinstalled AVG and Adobe Reader, and I ran an AVG clean/fix routine.  Whether because of one or a combination of those actions...or for some other reason...I no longer get the rundll32.exe error.  I can't remember if there was any one action that had apparently been leading up to my previously seeing that error, but I think it was whenever I'd try to make a change to the screensaver in effort to get it to be more responsive.

Anyway, the rundll32.exe is no longer a problem, BUT my screensaver is still not working correctly.

By the way, in answer to your question, no I have never installed any desktop customization softwares.

Back to the persistent screensaver issue: whether I select one of the factory options ("Mystify", etc.), or if I select the file of photos I had been using without problem for a couple years, the screensaver is exceedingly sluggish.  Although, with "Mystify" for example, in the preview window, the screensaver moves as briskly as I set it to, in real life it barely works: first a black screen, then a minute later one line, then a minute later a second line, and so forth, and finally one tiny increment of movement, then a minute later another tiny increment of movement, etc.  With my photo file, after a minute of black screen, the first indication of any response is a statement to the effect that there were "no pictures found..." in the designated file; then a minute later, the first photo does appear; then a minute later the display rotates (without the designated transition effect) to the second photo, and so on.  When I tap a key or touch the pad, the screensaver is equally slow to turn off.

I have looked on my system and application repair/recovery discs, and I can not see anything designated explicitly "Screensaver".  Since I'm not computer literate enough to know what hardware drivers or software applications might be involved, that's a dead end for me.

I hope all that helps, and again I much appreciate your interesting in assisting.  Thank you!

Regards,

venator1

Thank you, Mike
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 9:05 PM