none
Remove Network icon from Windows Explorer side pane

Question

• Hello,

In our environment we have disabled Network Discovery from Windows so that users will not be able to see other machines on the domain.

However the 'Network' icon still shows in the left hand pane of Windows Explorer and clicking on it warns the user that Network Discovery is disabled, however this means Active Directory tab is still accessible from Windows Explorer.

Is there any way the Network icon can be removed from the left pane of Windows Explorer?

Lee Bowman MCITP MCTS
    Monday, March 21, 2011 12:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Lee,

Please change the registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\ShellFolder\Attributes from b0040064 to b0940064. It will remove “Network” icon from Windows Explorer and not cause any network problem.

Before modify the registry keys, please take a backup of the key. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, please click the following link to view the article:

Back up the registry

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:13 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Lee,

the tool Windows 7 Navigation Pane Customizer can do what you want.

You can select which icons you want to see.

André

Attention, this is a 3rd party tool and no Microsoft Software!

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Monday, November 11, 2013 7:11 PM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Andre,

Thank you for the information regarding. It could be considered applying this to our primary image (obviously do not want it installed on every machine)

This application however must be making modifications to the registry so I wonder if it is possible to find out which keys are modified.

May use some Registry Capture tool to see if that shows the change

Thanks again

Lee Bowman MCITP MCTS
    Monday, March 21, 2011 4:32 PM
  • Hi Lee,

Please change the registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\ShellFolder\Attributes from b0040064 to b0940064. It will remove “Network” icon from Windows Explorer and not cause any network problem.

Before modify the registry keys, please take a backup of the key. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, please click the following link to view the article:

Back up the registry

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:13 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:06 AM
  • This application however must be making modifications to the registry so I wonder if it is possible to find out which keys are modified.

Sabrina gave you the links. Simply use the Tool RegFromApp [1] and capture the changes into a .reg file.

André

[1] http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/reg_file_from_application.html

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Hi Andre,

Thank you for your information.

Hi Lee,

How are you doing? I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

Thursday, March 24, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Hi Sabrina

I found this thread as I actually wanted the Network Icon to show up in LH Pane Windows Explorer ! !

I've followed your advise in reverse ( as Local Administrator) and the Network Icon and networked machines now shows up fine - thanks very much !

Would also like to show ' Favorites' in LH Pane - as other networked machines have this

is there another registry setting to show Favorites

Richard

Friday, July 15, 2011 7:34 AM
  • don't like being Anonymous-5718   :-(

I'm now Rick-ITB  

Richard

Friday, July 15, 2011 7:43 AM
  • I checked the registry and found the attributes being b0040064, but "Network" icon is not shown in Windows 7 Explorer.

What else to do?

Have to correct: By miracle, or just looking at the registry entry, the Network icon is now present.
    • Proposed as answer by Jaifima2 Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:55 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jaifima2 Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:55 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:44 AM
  • when i try this registry modification i get an error that tell me that can't edit "attributes" bla bla bla.... i am administrator in this computer. Can you tell me what's going on?. Regards

:net and VB6 Professional Programer

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:11 AM
  • Hi Sabrina ,

thanks for the answer , but still i get " network " when i click Start button and search for " network "is there a way to remove it or to make it not appear in the search field ?

• Edited by oumolayna Monday, November 11, 2013 12:42 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 12:41 PM
  • Did You think, that providing Trojans via Microsoft is correct ???

Look at: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/42f1f1cc674f4fa30bec6253ac833e3fecbead6dd122d2c8f58b2f034d9ebeb5/analysis/1432460929/

AVG InstallCore.AGQ 20150524
    AVware InstallCore (fs) 20150524
    Avast Win32:PUP-gen [PUP] 20150524
    Bkav W32.HfsAdware.F56E 20150523
    Comodo Application.Win32.InstallCore.SDKA 20150524
    DrWeb Trojan.InstallCore.224 20150524
    ESET-NOD32 a variant of Win32/InstallCore.VM potentially unwanted 20150524
    GData Win32.Application.InstallCore.DI 20150524
    K7AntiVirus Adware ( 004b8bab1 ) 20150524
    K7GW Adware ( 004b8bab1 ) 20150524
    Malwarebytes PUP.Optional.InstallCore.SID.C 20150524
    Panda PUP/Multitoolbar 20150524
    TotalDefense Win32/Tnega.aZOOIS 20150523
    VIPRE InstallCore (fs)

Sunday, May 24, 2015 9:54 AM
  • Before changing the attribute, you need to get permission.

Right-click ShellFolder and select the Permissions command.

When you see the Permissions for ShellFolder dialog box, select Administrators in the Group or User Names panel and then select the Full Control check box in the Permissions for Administrators panel.

Click OK to continue.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 5:07 PM