none
Fallout 3 Windows 7 x64 RC

Question

• i haven't been able to get Fallout 3 to work since installing the RC. It launches a small black window, and stops responding. I had a similar problem after installing the Beta, which was eventually solved by a patch, so it seems likely to me that it is probably an issue of Bethesda's. Has anybody else had this problem, or been able to find a solution?

I have an Athlon X2 6000+, and a Radeon 3870 with the latest catalyst drivers. I tried running the program in compatibility mode also, with no luck. I haven't yet had any problems with any other games.
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 5:38 PM

Answers

• I finally got it working, thought I'm not sure exactly what I did to do so. I reinstalled both the game and drivers, initially to no avail, but eventually it started working, and I'm not exactly sure why. My girlfriend initially had similar problems with Tomb Raider, so my suspicion is that I may have had a problem with my initial installation of my video card drivers.
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:49 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Sayja,

I had problems with FO3 when I upgraded from XP32 to Vista32.  the game ran just fine in XP, then I never got it to run in vista.  However, the other day I installed the Win7 x64 and immediately tried Crysis warhead and Fallout 3.  No problems, no issues. 

Before I was having trouble with errors like, "fallout3.exe has stopped working."  The unanimous decision in most forums was I was running the 32 bit vista and I should have tried 64. 

Our systems are somewhat similar except your processor is a tad faster, but my video card is a little newer.  I am running the Athlon X2 5000+ black edition with the Radeon 4850.  You may also be interested to know that I did not install the first driver, or catlyst software, let alond a fan speed controller and Fallout ran fine (to my surprise).  I'm a little perplexed and I would think it would work just fine.

Have you tried verifying your video settings (i.e. montor type / resolution) driver version (may have to roll back one version) or something as simple as ram - though this is most likely not a problem since you have used the beta version.

I know this can be frustrating, keep us posted. 
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:11 PM
  • I have a Nvidia8800 card and am having exactly the same problems. I have a workaround though. The game seems to run fine in windowed mode! Maybe that would work for you?
    Monday, May 11, 2009 11:18 AM
  • I finally got it working, thought I'm not sure exactly what I did to do so. I reinstalled both the game and drivers, initially to no avail, but eventually it started working, and I'm not exactly sure why. My girlfriend initially had similar problems with Tomb Raider, so my suspicion is that I may have had a problem with my initial installation of my video card drivers.
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:49 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:19 PM
  • Hi I have the same problem 32bit win 7 RC :I hear its worked on the 64 bit so i will try it. DK
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:05 PM