none
Window 10 1703 Wakeup/sleep issues only with Dell TB16 Dock and Dell XPS laptops RRS feed

• General discussion

• HI,

We are seeing all our Windows 10 1703 Dell XPS 13/15 laptops that use Dell TB16 Thunderbolt Dock having issues with wakeup/sleep.

User locks laptop, comes back after 20 minutes, hits any key on the keyboard to wake the laptop up, all screens come on but only to a black screen with a mouse cursor blinking really fast on one screen. 

After some testing I found the issue to be with the windows 10 1703 CU447 or before that.

Here is my finding:

Working fine

Freshly deployed Windows 10 with all 1607 updates applied

Working fine

Update to 1703 Build 15063.0

Working fine

Join to the Domain and login

Working fine

Bitlocker System drive ( as this is what we do for all laptops)

Broken

Apply all remaining Updates and bring system to Build 15063.447

We have many other Dell XPS laptop which use the Dell D3100 dock and have the CU 447 installed, none of these have this issue. Currently only users using TB16 Docks are having this issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help with this issue?

Thanks,

• Edited by Softwire Tuesday, July 11, 2017 4:35 PM
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 4:30 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem with Dell Latitude 7480 and TB16 dock. Problem did not start until update to 447. I currently have an order for 6 more Dell laptops on hold until we find a solution.

Workaround:

Pull Thunderbolt cable and plug it back in. Problem appears to be with waking.

• Edited by FLEngineer Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:22 PM
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:21 PM
  • Problem did not start until update to 447.

483 is the latest.

BTW what kind of screen?  HDMI still has problems IMO.  Previously some claimed that simply turning a monitor off and on was sufficient which would spare unnecessary wear on your connectors.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, July 14, 2017 1:24 AM
  • I will try to reset the monitor instead, thank you.

I had the same thought on the HDMI so I changed one monitor to VGA. Now I have 1 DP and 1 VGA. The DP monitor does what we discussed with the flashing pointer and black screen. The VGA monitor never wakes. I am using a DP to HDMI cable and into an HDMI HP monitor.

I am at 483 as of this morning, Problem started at 447.

• Edited by FLEngineer Friday, July 14, 2017 12:23 PM
    Friday, July 14, 2017 12:20 PM
  • The VGA monitor never wakes.

Wow.  I had been guessing that that would be more reliable.  Thanks for the report.  Oh, there is still one change you may need to make.  My VGA connector still (inexplicably) had an Audio device associated with it?  I had to disable that.

FWIW I have also used Narrator to assist in finding a software only workaround but then it really was literally "stumbling around in the dark".   ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, July 14, 2017 2:04 PM
  • Did anyone ever find a definitive resolution to this? I have a user who is seeing this issue.

After the computer goes to sleep and he wakes it up the screen works fine but connected USB devices and the Ethernet port aren't working at all.

FWIW I noticed that in Device Manager the ASMedia USB 3.0 device no longer shows up after waking up from sleep. If he unplugs power from the Dock then plugs it back in it will work fine until the computer goes to sleep again. 

Monday, March 19, 2018 4:26 PM
  • Still looking for a solution to this. Anyone...?
    Monday, September 24, 2018 2:00 AM
  • Still looking for a solution to this. Anyone...?

Have you tried the "magic bullet"?  (My mnemonic for)  Win+Ctrl+Shift+B  (repeated as needed with psychic pauses)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, September 29, 2018 2:59 AM
  • The solution in my case DELL TB16 dock issues/problems

Task bar->Thunderbolt icon->Approve Attached Devices -> Cable and Dock -> Always Connect

USB, and audio should work.

The TB16 still has problems

1) High latency lag for mouse and keyboard when connected to the dock.

2) Monitors continuously wake from sleep and go back to sleep

Saturday, October 27, 2018 12:01 PM
  • 1803 has been a great improvement for me.  Now on HDMI instead of VGA and HDMI Audio is working better (but still not wonderful).

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, October 27, 2018 4:29 PM