Install.wim Windows 10 1903 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There, hope you can help!

I need to update our windows 10 build from 1809 to 1903 (I know there is a new version, but the business want me to step  to 1903 first).

Do I just need to extract the Enterprise 1903 ISO, copy the install.wim file and then use it in SCCM apply operating system?

Thanks

Wayne

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 3:34 PM

All replies

• No need to extract it, just right click it and select the Mount option and it will mount a virtual CD drive on the next available drive letter. e.g. E:\

then in SCCM do to Software Library\Operating Systems\Operating Systems Images, click the big Add Operating System Image button in menu ribbon top left.

Browse the E:\sources if the ISO was mounted to E drive and check for the install.wim file and import that as an Operating system in SCCM for use in OSD.

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 11:37 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in TechNet.

==>Do I just need to extract the Enterprise 1903 ISO, copy the install.wim file and then use it in SCCM apply operating system?

It depends on you. If you are using In-place upgrade task sequence to upgrade OS, no, just adding Operating System Upgrade Package is ok. As shown below in my lab. 
    For more detailed steps, please refer to:
    Windows 10 1903 Upgrade Using SCCM

Hope my answer could help you. Thanks for your time!

Best regards,
    Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

Hope everything goes well. May we know the current status of the question? If there is any other assistance we can provide, please feel free to let us know, we will do our best to help you.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 31, 2020 7:19 AM
  • Hi,

Here's a short summary for the problem.

Problem/Symptom:
    ===================
    Do we just need to extract the Enterprise 1903 ISO, copy the install.wim file and then use it in SCCM apply operating system, when updating windows 10 build from 1809 to 1903.

Solution/Reason:
    ===================
    If you are using In-place upgrade task sequence to upgrade OS, no, just adding Operating System Upgrade Package is ok. 

Reference:
    ===================
    Windows 10 1903 Upgrade Using SCCM

Thanks again for your time!

Best regards,
    Simon

"MECM" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "MECM" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 9:43 AM