none
change from 32-bit OS to x64

Question

• HI

I have a win 8.1 Pro (32-bit operating system on a x64-based processor).

I would like to reinstall win 8.1 with the (64-bit OS) on a new hard-drive (1TB). also I don't want to lose the office 2013.

can you guide me through this, please.

thank you.

Friday, December 12, 2014 5:11 AM

Answers

• Unless you have 6GB or more RAM there is no point in switch over to x64 bit.

If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a clean installation. You won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you update from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.

Ref:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

• Marked as answer by dr me Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:53 AM
    Friday, December 12, 2014 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

As S.Sengupta mentioned in the first reply, you need a clean reinstallation if you want a 64 bit system, if you want to keep the files and some operation settings, you can migrate these with USMT, 32-bit to 64-bit migrations are supported in USMT, but you need to reinstall your needed programs, please see this reference link:

Step-by-Step: Basic Windows Migration using USMT for IT Professionals

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/hh824873.aspx

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 15, 2014 5:12 AM

All replies

• Unless you have 6GB or more RAM there is no point in switch over to x64 bit.

If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a clean installation. You won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you update from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.

Ref:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Friday, December 12, 2014 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

As S.Sengupta mentioned in the first reply, you need a clean reinstallation if you want a 64 bit system, if you want to keep the files and some operation settings, you can migrate these with USMT, 32-bit to 64-bit migrations are supported in USMT, but you need to reinstall your needed programs, please see this reference link:

Step-by-Step: Basic Windows Migration using USMT for IT Professionals

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/hh824873.aspx

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 15, 2014 5:12 AM
  • thank you Sengupta for the reply,

• Edited by dr me Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:53 AM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:51 AM
  • thank you Yolanda for the reply,
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:52 AM
  • I have an interesting situation similar to this one - I have an Asus board with an x64-based processor and want to install 8.1 64-bit with a new hard drive but after the Install process begins, it stops and flashes a message that lasts about 1 second and I can't read it all, but it starts with "Your PC needs to restart....." and continues with some numbers in several rows.

I have previously had 8.1 32-bit installed on this machine before the system drive failed and I bought a new one.  I don't understand why the 64-bit version won't install.

I have this exact situation with another PC (an Intel board) where I wanted to change from 32-bit 8.1 to 64-bit.  It too has a x64-based processor but it does the exact same thing.  It opens the Windows logo page from the bootable disk but it doesn't do anything for 2 or 3 minutes before flashing the exact same message I tried to describe above - "Your PC needs to restart..." again the same short flash and I can't read all of the message.  I previously had Win 8.1 32-bit installed.

I have a third PC (Intel board) which I did a clean install of 8.1 64-bt to replace my older Windows XP and it worked fine.  I am writing to you from this machine.  The other 2 (1 is an Intel board and the other is an Asus board) are hosed.

Any ideas what's happening?  These are Intel and Asus boards and I've run Windows XP Pro on them for years. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Saturday, November 11, 2017 7:30 AM