none
Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus compatability with Windows 7

Question

• Having installed this (14 month old) drive on my new Dell Studio 8100 (W7 64 bit os) together with Seagate Manager software and completed a backup the drive failed (code 10) and was returned to Seagate for replacement. The replacement arrives and initially installed but Windows complained some files not recognised and I clicked on the fix button. This reulted in the drive failing to be recognised and has the following message in device manager:- "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" Seagate advised the original Maxtor backup software will not work with Windows 7 but the Seagate version seems the same product presumably for both ranges of drives.

Seagate show the drive as compatible with W7 but the driver is dated 21/06/2006 and therefore probably needs updating. Maxtor do not appear to provide any suitable drivers.

I cannot be the only person with a Maxtor drive using Windows 7, so assume a solution must be available somewhere?

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 3:34 PM

Answers

• When I opened my PC yesterday the Maxtor had dissapeared again. I did not have time to investigate and planned to look at it today.

Hey-ho the drive is there today but missing the backup that should have run yesterday, hopefully that will be corrected at 5:00 pm when the daily backup runs.

I note the solution in the other thread seemed to provide a solution, namely:-

Resolved :

The resolution was to:

1. Plug in and turn on the external USB hard drive
    2. Right mouse click on My Computer
    3. Left click on Manage
    4. Left click on Device Manager
    5. Expand the USB list
    6. Find the USB device for your USB Hard Drive (in my case it was the one that had no description)
    7. Right mouse click - Uninstall
    8. Turn off the external USB hard drive
    9. Turn on the external USB hard drive and let it find and install the driver
    10. It should work

So I will try this if the problem reoccurs, but it still leaves me wiithout my firewire connection which I would prefer to use.

Whilst great to see it there  and working today, it does not inspire confidence, as one should not have to check it is working on a daily basis. I would have thought Seagate would be trying to ensure their products actually work with Windows 7, so it looks like I need to find a more reliable drive as a long term solution.

Are the internal drives made by Seagate also as flakey?  I would have thought this problem would have been sorted, given the number of people that will be affected when they upgrade to W7. Plugging an external drive in should not have involve this sort of hassle, so perhaps Microsoft will also look at working on improved drivers.

• Marked as answer by Chris_1000Oaks Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:27 PM

All replies

• The solution will have to come from Seagate.  They bought Maxtor a couple of years ago and they are the sole source of software drivers and utilities for Maxtor drives.  Microsoft does not write any software drivers or utilities for any third party hardware.
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:50 PM
  • Hi Rick,

That's true in many cases.  But there are some cases where we provide "class drivers" for certain device classes.  Microsoft provides drivers in the box for many classes of USB devices, including storage.  This is a pretty up to date list that mentions most of them:  http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/usb/USBFAQ_intro.mspx#EBEAC 

Hi Chris,

The driver date mentioned in device manager comes from the INF, and not the driver file itself.  If you'd go to c:\windows\system32\drivers and look at the properties of usbstor.sys, you'd see that it's dated 7/13/2009.

For your problem, have you tried powering off both the drive and the PC, then re-connecting it?  Do you consistently get the code 43 error with this latest drive, or do you sometimes see the code 10 still?  Is the code 43 happening on the storage device, or on one of the USB controllers?  Code 43 generally indicates a hardware problem.  Code 10 generally indicates a driver problem.

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:26 AM
  • I checked in and the driver is dated later than I thought, so thanks for clarifying that.

File version 6.1.7600.16385  date modified 14/7/2009 01:06

The original drive died with a code 10. When I looked at a warranty replacement the Seagate site advises to load Seatools which will test the drive and generate a code to quote when returning the drive. However, the drive was not being recognised so Seatools could not test it. I phoned and explanied thisa and was given the necessary code to quote to return the drive. My impression was therefore that a code 10 meant a hardware failure.

The replacement drive intitially installed but windows advised some files were corrupt and when I clicked on the fix button that did not complete its task and I then had the code 43 showing when viewd in device manager. It was not showing the drive name either under USB or the 1394 connection.

I have since reconnected it to my old Vista O/S PC and it was recognised fine. However when putting it back on my new Dell Studio XPS 8100 running W7 64 bit I had a code 43 and also code 10. I tried connecting via firewire (preferred) and USB.

I have now had the following reply from Seagate

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)

This usually means that the driver (which does NOT come from Seagate; this driver comes from Windows) has lost communication with the drive or the driver has crashed.

Solution: Connect the drive directly to the back of your (desktop ) computer (as opposed to the front USB ports of the computer or a USB hub) (for laptops, any USB port on the laptop is fine) and run diagnostics on the drive (use SeaTools for Windows or the bundled software for diagnostics).

If you have any additional questions, please let me know

I had it connected to a top USB connector as I am a bit short on these, hence the firewire preference) but have just switched it to one on the back and it seems to be recognised ok. so am now running the Seatools diagnostics to see what they say.

Seatools short test gives a PASS result so will now try with the firewire again. I think I need to reboot for this to reconnect so will finish this post here, except to say even though the drive passed the test I am left with a sense of uncertainty as I reaaly do not see why it passes the test now and would not do so earlier (though accept I used a different USB port). It also failed to work with the 1394 connection, so it will be interesting to see if that now works.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:02 AM
  • Following on from the above, I have tried connecting via 1394 Firewire and the drive did not appear in the drive list and I could not see it in Device Manager, so for now I have reverted to the back USB port and guess I will have to buy a USB hub to increase the availability. I intend contacting Seagate to see if they can shed any light on the non availability of the connection by Firewire.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:49 AM
  • If the issue persists after purchasing a new USB hub, I suggest you also upgrade the Motherboard driver and Chipset driver. Meanwhile, please also try the following steps.

Cannot detect external USB hard drive

Thanks,

Novak

Monday, April 12, 2010 2:21 AM
  • When I opened my PC yesterday the Maxtor had dissapeared again. I did not have time to investigate and planned to look at it today.

Hey-ho the drive is there today but missing the backup that should have run yesterday, hopefully that will be corrected at 5:00 pm when the daily backup runs.

I note the solution in the other thread seemed to provide a solution, namely:-

Resolved :

The resolution was to:

1. Plug in and turn on the external USB hard drive
    2. Right mouse click on My Computer
    3. Left click on Manage
    4. Left click on Device Manager
    5. Expand the USB list
    6. Find the USB device for your USB Hard Drive (in my case it was the one that had no description)
    7. Right mouse click - Uninstall
    8. Turn off the external USB hard drive
    9. Turn on the external USB hard drive and let it find and install the driver
    10. It should work

So I will try this if the problem reoccurs, but it still leaves me wiithout my firewire connection which I would prefer to use.

Whilst great to see it there  and working today, it does not inspire confidence, as one should not have to check it is working on a daily basis. I would have thought Seagate would be trying to ensure their products actually work with Windows 7, so it looks like I need to find a more reliable drive as a long term solution.

Are the internal drives made by Seagate also as flakey?  I would have thought this problem would have been sorted, given the number of people that will be affected when they upgrade to W7. Plugging an external drive in should not have involve this sort of hassle, so perhaps Microsoft will also look at working on improved drivers.

• Marked as answer by Chris_1000Oaks Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:27 PM
  • I have marked this as the answer as it works and und therefore I feel it must be a driver issue. Seagate do not appear interested in providing an updated driver so hopefully Microsoft will look at it again sometime soon.

In the meantime it looks like I wil have to uninstall the driver on a daily basis and let it reinstall, though perhaps if I unplug (no on/off switch) the drive before I close down, then plug it in after I start up that may work, though hardly the perfect solution.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:12 PM
  • Just to update the thread, My Maxtor works "fine" with the proviso that I have to turn it off (ie pull the mains lead out) before I close down then after I open up plug it back in. I was caught out by a required reboot after updating i-tunes and I lost the hard drive again so it needed to be uninstalled, unplugged andit again is fine after a restart.

This clearly must be a defective driver so as I previously stated either Seagate or Microsoft need to do someting about it.

Friday, April 16, 2010 11:19 AM
  • Just for yours and anyone elses information, I too have this drive, and have had similar problems with my system seeing it. After getting another drive from Seagate (the original was still under the 2 year warranty), and on a hunch I tried the new power supply with the old drive.

Lo and behold, the problem went away. The old drive worked as advertised. The drive was consistently recognized by the system. This after I went through the trouble of transferring all of the old files to the new drive. Darn.

Well, Seagate recommended that I send them the old drive with the old power supply. So I did, after re-formatting (low-level) it a few times.

So that may be your problem... A flaky power supply. Just enough power to respond after being turned on for a while, but not enough for reliable operation, especially after a bootup.

I hope that this helps. Good luck.

The Scharp One

Friday, April 16, 2010 10:07 PM
  • Hi,

I have an old Maxtor OneTouch II 200GB USB and 1394 (Firewire) drive that has one of these buttons on the front. Unfortunately, the Maxtor 1394 Storage Front Panel driver cannot be found by Windows 7 and I think I might have had a similar problem with Windows Vista, although I think I managed to solve the problem with Windows Vista. To date, I am unable to solve this problem with Windows 7. Not sure if it is because I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

I have tried installing the driver that came with the device but this was unsuccessful. Windows Update does not find a driver.

The drive itself works fine but it would be great to be able to install the front panel driver.

Unfortunately, Seagate bought Maxtor and they don't seem to be providing very good support for this device.

I have tried the Windows 7 Compatibility Web Site, but this did not help.

Has anybody managed to install this device on Windows 7? If so, could you please advise me how to install the driver for the front panel?

Regards,

Johan

Sunday, May 06, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Well ran into the issue with a Maxtor external 200g and tried everything and out of sheer curiosity I put it though a powered USB port and the damn thing worked ... odd solution
    Monday, October 15, 2012 6:28 PM