none
Botched migration from FRS - DFRS RRS feed

• Question

• Server 2012 r2 standard ADDS Only DC had a vm dc, but it got hosed from a cluster failure. (another story)

The process hung. I waited over night. Still hung. Re ran adds cleanup, and found an old dc that was hunting me. deleted it.

Tried again same result. Since it was the only dc ( I read the warning about no turning back.) I pushed throuh the eliminated state.

Result: The SYSVOL_DFSR was created, but nothing in it. Looking at ADSIEdit the DC is still pointing to the original SYSVOL folder. When the login problems started, I found the DFSR services was running, and the FRS service was disabled. I reversed this and authentication started working again.

What a pickle I brought up two new DC's and the are both Windows 2016 OS. The information in AD DS is being replicated to the two new servers, but in spite of moving all of the roles to what was supposed to be the new PDC if the old PDC is not on line AD DS breaks. If I add a new user, change a password on any DC it takes effect on all 3. I did notice however I cannot edit a GPO on the other DC's, not even the new PDC.

What can I do to straighten this out. I can redo the two new DC's, but if I bring them down how can I get the old dc to move to DSFR? How might I get any one of the DC's to function as the PDC? I'm trying to do this without having to completely rebuild Active Directory from scratch.

Kerry M. Guillory

Sunday, October 13, 2019 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Was the information provided by Dave was helpful for you ?

Any updates for your situation ?

For troubleshooting , would you mind clarify the following questions .

Your first DC (vm) is 2012 server right? (If you build the domain with server2012 , i don't  think you need to do the FRS-Migration ) check if the dfsr or frs are used in your environment by:

Command: dfsrmig.exe /getglobalstate 

Or you can check the follwoing content :HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DFSR\Parameters\SysVols\Migrating Sysvols\LocalState registry subkey. If this registry subkey exists and its value is set to 3 (ELIMINATED), DFSR is being used. If the subkey does not exist, or if it has a different value, FRS is being used.

When the only DC are in a 100% health state, you can promo the 2 new DC.

When the new DC are promoted successfully, and all the replication was also ok, we can consider transfer the FSMO role to the new DC.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/324801/how-to-view-and-transfer-fsmo-roles-in-windows-server-2003

Please feel free to contact us , if you need any further assistance .

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, October 14, 2019 7:22 AM

All replies

• Adding the additional domain controllers may have complicated things. I wouldn't recommend making changes to active directory unless health is 100%. Depending on the current state you can try to reinitialize. If you're using older FRS you can follow along here.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/290762/using-the-burflags-registry-key-to-reinitialize-file-replication-servi
    or for DFSR follow along here.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2218556/how-to-force-an-authoritative-and-non-authoritative-synchronization-fo

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 13, 2019 6:27 PM
  • Hi,

Was the information provided by Dave was helpful for you ?

Any updates for your situation ?

For troubleshooting , would you mind clarify the following questions .

Your first DC (vm) is 2012 server right? (If you build the domain with server2012 , i don't  think you need to do the FRS-Migration ) check if the dfsr or frs are used in your environment by:

Command: dfsrmig.exe /getglobalstate 

Or you can check the follwoing content :HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DFSR\Parameters\SysVols\Migrating Sysvols\LocalState registry subkey. If this registry subkey exists and its value is set to 3 (ELIMINATED), DFSR is being used. If the subkey does not exist, or if it has a different value, FRS is being used.

When the only DC are in a 100% health state, you can promo the 2 new DC.

When the new DC are promoted successfully, and all the replication was also ok, we can consider transfer the FSMO role to the new DC.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/324801/how-to-view-and-transfer-fsmo-roles-in-windows-server-2003

Please feel free to contact us , if you need any further assistance .

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, October 14, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Fan

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 9:01 AM