SBS 2003 locking up after 7 years of good service. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of retiring my SBS 2003 server but not quite there yet.  Over the past 2-3 months I've been having a very strange hang of the server.  Seems to happen after about a week of running.  As best as I can tell from looking through the logs I'm seeing a 1031 MSExchangeSA errors.  One of the System Attendant's task is blocked Function COffLineABScanTask::Work.  It is NOT followed by a 1032

When I find the server hung, I can still ping it, can't RDP it, cant access its drives and the console which usually displays the login dialog is just sitting with a mouse pointer.  This is always the condition of these hangs.  They seems to occur overnight, never during the day.

Very few users (4), just file storage, we run exchange 2003 with Backberry BES 4.1.4.  AVG antivirus Business edition.

Any suggestions on how I go after looking for this problem.  Ran for so many years and now that it knows I'm looking to replace it, it wants my attention.

Roveer

• Edited by Roveer Monday, September 14, 2015 7:56 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2015 7:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Roveer:

Start by restarting the server in "clean boot" mode.  Start - Run - MSconfig - Services tab - hide MS services - stop all.  Startup tab - disable all.  This will tell us if there are conflicts with third party apps or services.  Look for the errors you mentioned....see if they occurred before the lockups and if they continue to occur after the clean boot.

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:32 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that SBS 2003 randomly hangs.

I recommend you to run Best Practices Analyzer on SBS 2003, this tool will collect/analyze the information, and generate a list of issues, ordered by severity. It will be helpful for identify the problem:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5334

Except for 3rd party process, disable tasks which run on night and confirm the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Roveer:

Start by restarting the server in "clean boot" mode.  Start - Run - MSconfig - Services tab - hide MS services - stop all.  Startup tab - disable all.  This will tell us if there are conflicts with third party apps or services.  Look for the errors you mentioned....see if they occurred before the lockups and if they continue to occur after the clean boot.

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:32 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that SBS 2003 randomly hangs.

I recommend you to run Best Practices Analyzer on SBS 2003, this tool will collect/analyze the information, and generate a list of issues, ordered by severity. It will be helpful for identify the problem:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5334

Except for 3rd party process, disable tasks which run on night and confirm the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:52 AM