C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe - Application not found

Question

• I'm running Vista Home Basic. I recently had a virus (av.exe) which was just removed. However, now I have a few issues.

First off, I when I click on anything in the control panel (for example), an error message pops up saying "C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe  Application not found."  How do I fix this?

Second, cmd.exe has the same problem, and I suspect more as well.

Third, whenever I click on a .exe file at first, the option is open - where it asks me to pick a program to run it with. It doesn't automatically run the program on its own. How do I fix this?

I do have a fresh copy of both the files (cmd.exe and rundll32.exe) available from an identical OS, if that helps any. But, I can't replace the old ones (yeah, they're there - just don't work).

Thanks a ton in advance for the help! :D
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:49 AM

Answers

All replies

• I'm running Vista Home Basic. I recently had a virus (av.exe) which was just removed. However, now I have a few issues.

First off, I when I click on anything in the control panel (for example), an error message pops up saying "C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe  Application not found."  How do I fix this?

Second, cmd.exe has the same problem, and I suspect more as well.

Third, whenever I click on a .exe file at first, the option is open - where it asks me to pick a program to run it with. It doesn't automatically run the program on its own. How do I fix this?

I do have a fresh copy of both the files (cmd.exe and rundll32.exe) available from an identical OS, if that helps any. But, I can't replace the old ones (yeah, they're there - just don't work).

Thanks a ton in advance for the help! :D
    I have the same problem, don't know what to do :(.....
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 9:08 PM
  • Ok I got it working here....

Go here to Doug KNox's Windows® XP File Association Fixes
    Run 9th down on left... EXE File Association Fix ... the EXE not EML one.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 9:16 PM

Awesome, really worked for me and was FAST!!! Thanks
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 5:58 PM

Great , painless & in a jiffy !!
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 4:51 AM

Awesome, really worked for me and was FAST!!! Thanks

ALSO worked for me. Why can't Microsoft add this to their knowledge base? After HOURS of dinking with this issue, and no direct answer from Microsoft, I found this... This was way too easy a fix for the wading thru crud everybody seems to be doing for this exact same issue. And sure, it's probably at least slightly different for everybody, but this was the only place this solution was presented that I have seen...

Thanks for the find!
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:59 PM
  • I'm glad I could help
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Nice Find. THANKS
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:01 PM
  • THANK YOU so much for this!  I spent a couple of hours trying to fix a "rundll32.exe Application not found" error and then luckily stumbled upon your Doug Knox Windows XP File Association Fixes note and it fixed my problems so quickly!  What a relief!
    Monday, April 05, 2010 12:15 AM

fantastic! thank you so much. I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with my computer (although it's been acting goofy for a couple days I haven't had time to sit down and work out the problem). hooray google search ^^ and I'm so adding that site to my favorites just in case XD.

thanks again!

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:38 AM
  • Wow! Thank you so much.....This really fixed my problem.  Just recovered from a nasty virus but once I used Avira Free antivirus to remove, it must have affected the registry and I ended up not being able to click on any program and have it do its job until I went here to Doug Knox Website listed above.  Great work.
    Friday, April 09, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Wow !  You guys and this Mr. Doug are Demigods as far as I am concerned!

Thanks so much!

Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:55 AM
  • dude, you are the FRAKKING MAN!
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:40 AM
  • Im running vista 64 bit, Im not the technical person and afraid of regedit if i mess it up. Can anyone give me some instructions? I know how to download it.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:52 AM
  • this fix works for vista 64.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Thanks!
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:55 PM
  • I'm new to these forums so if stuff looks a little weird that would be why.

So I have the same Problem, running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Whenever I go to open any program, except internet explorer/firefox, I get the "Application not found" or "What would you like to run this with" message.

When I go to start up the help program posted earlier by -Oleg- program, I can "open" or "save" it fine. I then double-click it, click "Run", click "Continue" on the Permission Controll message and then I get a message saying, "Adding information can unintentionally change or delete values and cause components to stop working correctly. If you do not trust the source of this information in C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_xp_exe_fix[2].zip\xp_exe_fix.reg, do not add it to  the registry. Are you sure you want to continue?"

Once I click "Yes" on that message, I get this message, "Cannot Import C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_xp_exe_fix[2].zip\xp_exe_fix.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes."

Now I am probably doing something wrong, but if you could correct my mistakes that would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance,

Chris

EDIT: When I turned my Laptop on this morning, for the first time in a week, my anti-virus software poped up - meaning my programs were working again, and they were! So I'm going to guess that this fix worked, so THANK YOU everybody. :)

• Edited by _-Chris-_ Friday, April 16, 2010 1:46 AM Problem Fixed
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Ok, so I`m gonna be THAT guy. My wife dosnt have  antispyware on her laptop....I have the exact same problem with hers. I tried the help program, but I got the same error message that said "not all data was successfully written..etc" I`m glad that Chris`s antivirus software got updated and kicked in, but I dont have that same safety net, so if we could pick up where is post left of pre edit, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Ok, so I`m gonna be THAT guy. My wife dosnt have  antispyware on her laptop....I have the exact same problem with hers. I tried the help program, but I got the same error message that said "not all data was successfully written..etc" I`m glad that Chris`s antivirus software got updated and kicked in, but I dont have that same safety net, so if we could pick up where is post left of pre edit, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:26 PM
  • I am Running Windows 7 and the Doug Knox file association fix site worked for me (even though it is listed for the Windows XP operating system).  I suffered a Trojan virus attack that really goobered-up my system to the point that I could not open any executable files (Internet Explorer, iTunes, Word, Xcel, etc) without getting error messages involving the files rundll32.exe and msdt.exe.  I have spent at least 10 hours researching and trying to fix this problem using Dell on-line support as well as Microsoft help forums.  Both sites were exceedingly aggravating and impossible to navigate through to find a simple answer to what I consider to be a very common problem for anyone cleaning up after a Trojan attack.  Out of extreme frustration, I Googled my problem and found this thread.  I was hesitant to try this fix for my Windows 7 OS since it seemed to be geared to the XP system and was dated 2003.  But what did I have to lose? - - -My next option was to erase the hard drive and reinstall everything (a major pain).  Surprisingly, this download fixed all my problems in like three seconds!  I am back in business and do not notice any other problems.  I don’t know who Doug Knox is, but if I ever meet him, I am going to buy him a beer!

Monday, April 26, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Wow, this really does work! I didn't think I'd done it properly as I got the same error message as people lower down saying it hadn't worked properly but everthing seems to be working now! I  was a bit worried first that I'd fallen for some scam and actually downloaded another virus, but soooo happy that my laptop is working again now! Thank you!!!!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:51 PM
  • this really do work thxz alot was looking for this for the last 3 hours thxx again.. :)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:28 PM
  • I have the same problem,  I just dont know what to do with it?  i open "windows XP file association fixes" What should i do from there? ,  i clicked extract and clicked ok and nothing really happened,  i don't know.  do i do it from  the C drive or something?
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:22 AM
  • can some please help me, I have the same problem and i still cant get it to work. what did you guys do when you clickd the "EXE file accociation fix" ?? i would appreciate your help
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:57 PM
  • I'm having this same exact problem except mine still isn't working! Please help.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Hi everybody,

I thought that all of my problems (with this issue!) where gone when I fell upon this thread, however I have the same problem as a couple of the guys who posted earlier have.

"When I go to start up the help program posted earlier by -Oleg- program, I can "open" or "save" it fine. I then double-click it, click "Run", click "Continue" on the Permission Controll message and then I get a message saying, "Adding information can unintentionally change or delete values and cause components to stop working correctly. If you do not trust the source of this information in C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_xp_exe_fix[2].zip\xp_exe_fix.reg, do not add it to  the registry. Are you sure you want to continue?"

Once I click "Yes" on that message, I get this message, "Cannot Import C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_xp_exe_fix[2].zip\xp_exe_fix.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes."

So, I've followed the instructions if your having problems opening or running the REG file, ctrl+alt+del then open task manager etc etc, i type REGEDIT.EXE and another window opens I think the registry something but then nothing happens, my problem is still the same, can some computer savvy person please help before I get too frustrated and go back to pen and paper!!!

I appreciate any good advice and Im sure the others that are suffering the same will also.

Thanks

Friday, May 07, 2010 12:51 PM
  • If you are getting a message saying that the registry keys are open by another process, try this.

Open task manager (ctrl-alt-delete, or ctrl-shift-esc). Click the processes tab and look for "av.exe". If it is there, end the process and try the fix again.

You can also try manually editing the registry key that causes this. If you are having problems running regedit and you are running vista or win7, open the start menu and in the live search box type "regedit.exe" with out the quotes then press and hold ctrl and shift, then press enter. This will run the program as admin.

From there, you need to edit a key at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe

You want to change the default sub key from "secfile" to "exefile."

Also, keep in mind that if av.exe is still running on your computer, it is not clean!

Let me know if it helps!

Saturday, May 08, 2010 2:02 PM
  • If you are getting a message saying that the registry keys are open by another process, try this.

Open task manager (ctrl-alt-delete, or ctrl-shift-esc). Click the processes tab and look for "av.exe". If it is there, end the process and try the fix again.

You can also try manually editing the registry key that causes this. If you are having problems running regedit and you are running vista or win7, open the start menu and in the live search box type "regedit.exe" with out the quotes then press and hold ctrl and shift, then press enter. This will run the program as admin.

From there, you need to edit a key at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe

You want to change the default sub key from "secfile" to "exefile."

Hello,

i am suffering this problem to.

ive managed to find the "secfile" but how do i change it to "exefile." the only options i have are "defaultIcon" and "shell".

can you explain abit more please.

thankyou.

Friday, May 14, 2010 10:40 PM
  • Sure. When you are looking at the registry key I mentioned, you want to double click on "default" which will open a new box. Inside this box, simply type "exefile" where it says "secfile." 

To say it again in  similar terms, click on the "exefile" key in the left panel. Then on the right panel, double click the "default" key and make the change that you need to.

Hope this gets it taken care of for you!

Saturday, May 15, 2010 1:31 PM
  • it says cannot import not all data was succesfully written to the registry what do i do
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:40 PM
  • When i am clicking on Run i am getting the error Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator                                                         Please help me i am in great trouble
    Monday, May 24, 2010 5:00 PM
  • I have had a similar problem, unfortunately I have not been able to use the fix from Doug Knox's website. I don't have winzip and can't install it because by .exe files won't work. So I have no way to actually use Doug Knox's file because it is zipped. Any ideas to what I can do? Appreciate any help, thanks.

Saturday, June 05, 2010 1:10 AM
  • Thanks so much! Worked like a charm.
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 4:21 PM
  • I dont usually post on these things but you guys are my saviours

I love you as much as anyone can love an anonymous tech support person

Forever in your debt,

Ty

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:51 AM

OMG, I have had this problem for months and could not get it fixed.  The people from norton wanted $200 to 'try' and fix it and then said that windows would have to do it.  I  called windows and they said that I would most likely lose my entire hard drive.  I did the above and within 30 seconds EVERYTHING WAS FIXED FOR FREE and I lost nothing!!!!!!! Thank you so so so much!!!!  YOU ARE AWESOME.  This has literally saved me big time.
    • Edited by shinigami eyes Saturday, June 26, 2010 4:40 PM misspelling
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 4:37 PM
  • OMFG THANK YOU SO MUCH! i spent so long trying to fix this problem and this was the only thing i could find that actually worked
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 11:50 PM
  • Thanks, it works. I had been searching for a answer to this questions for hours. Thanks....
    Friday, July 09, 2010 4:38 AM
  • Fanstastic, thanks so much!

kris

Friday, July 09, 2010 1:13 PM
  • I have a question, my error message says, "C:\Windows\oePxi1.dll" specific module cannot be found under Rundll error, and I'm using Windows XP.  Will this solution work for me.
    Monday, July 19, 2010 5:25 AM
  • Very good!  Excellent work.  You are the bomb!
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:50 AM
  • what do you do with it? you just double click and download it?
    Friday, August 13, 2010 6:43 AM
  • Hey so I've followed all the steps so far, but im running into one problem.... Registry editing disabled by administrator.  I tried to hold the CNTRL SHIFT when going to run the program and that didn't fix it either, and since I can't open the User Accounts program, im stuck! Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:39 AM
  • Hey so I've followed all the steps so far, but im running into one problem.... Registry editing disabled by administrator.  I tried to hold the CNTRL SHIFT when going to run the program and that didn't fix it either, and since I can't open the User Accounts program, im stuck! Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:40 AM
  • rundll32.exe
    Friday, October 15, 2010 8:19 PM
  • oleg i just want to thank you soooooooooooooooooo badly for fix

its been bugging me for over a year now...hvnt been able to open anything normally

so THANK YOU =DD

would srrsli kiss u rite now even if you're a dude lol

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:31 PM