none
Do I NEED to install the Windows 7 Service Pack?

Question

• A few months ago I installed the Windows 7 service pack 1,  immediately afterwards my computer became unstable &  crashed repeatedly . Luckily I restored it to before the installation in safe mode.  My question is how important is this update & do I need it?  I have windows 7 professional. Thanks in advance for you help.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:18 PM

Answers

• Charlotte, keeping your OS updated is generally a good practice for security of your system and performance of it overall and system health.  Sorry to hear it crashed on you, 90% of the time this is caused by driver problems.  I would advise you to update your system drivers (audio, video, etc..) and then re-try the update to keep your system in tip top shape.  Install and run Microsoft Security Essentials to help keep other issues at bay.

Good Luck!

:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:25 PM
  • The service packs are hardly recommended. Normally, it should not crash your computer or make it unstable, as its purpose is the opposite - provide you with hundreds of bug and stability fixes.

Also, support for software without the current service pack having applied is dropped after 12 or 24 months (for Windows, its 24 months in most cases, after the service pack has been released).

Try to find what caused the crash and stability issues. You might find that it is an old driver, or a particular application.

You might find the crash dumps in C:\Windows\minidumps. Some information might be also available in Event logs or Action Center - Problem Reports tool.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:35 PM

All replies

• Charlotte, keeping your OS updated is generally a good practice for security of your system and performance of it overall and system health.  Sorry to hear it crashed on you, 90% of the time this is caused by driver problems.  I would advise you to update your system drivers (audio, video, etc..) and then re-try the update to keep your system in tip top shape.  Install and run Microsoft Security Essentials to help keep other issues at bay.

Good Luck!

:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:25 PM
  • The service packs are hardly recommended. Normally, it should not crash your computer or make it unstable, as its purpose is the opposite - provide you with hundreds of bug and stability fixes.

Also, support for software without the current service pack having applied is dropped after 12 or 24 months (for Windows, its 24 months in most cases, after the service pack has been released).

Try to find what caused the crash and stability issues. You might find that it is an old driver, or a particular application.

You might find the crash dumps in C:\Windows\minidumps. Some information might be also available in Event logs or Action Center - Problem Reports tool.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Jason is right on keeping your OS updated is a good practice. But working in the field I've seen Service Packs in the past have negative effects to some drivers even after multiple updates. Nothing is perfect, I've even had problems with Service pack 1. Even MS said that mature(machines running smoothly for months) machines SP1 would not be needed.  Thankfully they give you the ability to uninstall or restore before the service pack was installed.  For everyone else if you have conflicts with your system here a link of how to uninstall http://windows.microsoft.com/uninstallwindows7sp1 .
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 2:34 PM