none
Windows 8 Media Center MCE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have been searching and cant seem to find how to install Windows Media Center on my Windows 8 Pro (RTM). Does anyone have any ideas? A few sites had instructions and a product key for the preview release version. Without MCE, my HD Homerun box is useless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

• Moved by Anthony_Mann Wednesday, August 15, 2012 11:31 PM (From:Windows 8 Pre-release)
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:01 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same issue - can't find it.... :(

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:12 PM
    • Proposed as answer by indubious Friday, August 17, 2012 6:33 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:10 AM
  • It was my understanding MSE is only in pro and you have to add it in optional apps - read below for more information.

Source

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-media-center-add-on-to-cost-999

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012/08/10/if-dont-windows-8-pro-media-center-may-run-around-10/

I found this just posted from twitter...

Here is how... Keep in mind their servers are up and down so the errors are they are too busy.

http://www.windows8core.com/how-to-get-and-install-windows-media-center-in-windows-8-pro-rtm/

Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:02 AM
  • So we all know how to upgrade your windows 7 versions from "home" to "pro", just use Control Panel=>System=>upgrade your windows

windows 8 "pro" and "pro with media centre" works the same way. while you click below link, 

input your media centre key follow the instructions.

If you don't have a media centre key, you can buy one in the next steps.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:33 AM
  • This release was announced as Enterprise N. This is not Enterprise. The N Series of OS is aimed at companies, it streams out the Media center. It is on purpose.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:31 AM
  • Hopefully this will work for more than just me. I was I the same boat and just stumbled upon a post over @ my digital life ( full credit for this info goes to =)(= @ MDL forums) :http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/35580-Microsoft-Windows-8-Professional-RTM-x86-x64-WZT

Post#1

Win8 x86 ProfessionalWMC = (must enter in the get more features>have key)(in other words, install OS as normal then use this to activate)

Win8 x64 ProfessionalWMC =(must enter in the get more features>have key)(in other words, install OS as normal then use this to activate)

Worked for me (thank god) Win8 Pro x64 clean install.

I was excited when win8 first previewed but, now this is looking a lot like Vista 2.0. Taking out media center is a step in the wrong direction. More and more people are ditching there pay-by-month TV services and media center is the easiest way to get DVR. Just getting a little disappointed in MSFT.  I was hoping they would add better NAS recording support in Win8, kinda doubting that atm :(

• Proposed as answer by RONIN ONI Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:03 PM
    • Edited by Nicholas LiModerator Friday, August 31, 2012 9:01 AM Sharing product key is not allowed
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:02 PM
  • looking a lot like Vista 2.0. Taking out media center is a step in the wrong direction. More and more people are ditching there pay-by-month TV services and media center is the easiest way to get DVR. Just getting a little disappointed in MSFT.  I was hoping they would add better NAS recording support in Win8, kinda doubting that atm :(

That is my first impression also. I got rid of pay TV in january and use media center for all my TV needs. If I can't easily get media center installed tonight, it's back to win 7 for me. I'm also going to start looking at linux options, it's easy enough to run win 7 as a VM for things that don't work with linux.

I'm thinking Microsoft seriously under estimated the number of Media Center users!

This release was announced as Enterprise N. This is not Enterprise. The N Series of OS is aimed at companies, it streams out the Media center. It is on purpose.
    Not sure what you mean by this. I didn't see an N next to the ISO I downloaded for windows 8 pro...
    • Edited by jlongjr Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:23 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Hopefully this will work for more than just me. I was I the same boat and just stumbled upon a post over @ my digital life ( full credit for this info goes to =)(= @ MDL forums) :http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/35580-Microsoft-Windows-8-Professional-RTM-x86-x64-WZT

Post#1

Win8 x86 ProfessionalWMC =  (must enter in the get more features>have key)(in other words, install OS as normal then use this to activate)

Win8 x64 ProfessionalWMC =  (must enter in the get more features>have key)(in other words, install OS as normal then use this to activate)

Worked for me (thank god) Win8 Pro x64 clean install.

I was excited when win8 first previewed but, now this is looking a lot like Vista 2.0. Taking out media center is a step in the wrong direction. More and more people are ditching there pay-by-month TV services and media center is the easiest way to get DVR. Just getting a little disappointed in MSFT.  I was hoping they would add better NAS recording support in Win8, kinda doubting that atm :(

Confirmed! I have WMC now! Thanks for sharing this.

• Proposed as answer by eTomm Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:38 AM
    • Edited by Nicholas LiModerator Friday, August 31, 2012 9:01 AM not allowed
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:28 PM
  • looking a lot like Vista 2.0. Taking out media center is a step in the wrong direction. More and more people are ditching there pay-by-month TV services and media center is the easiest way to get DVR. Just getting a little disappointed in MSFT.  I was hoping they would add better NAS recording support in Win8, kinda doubting that atm :(

That is my first impression also. I got rid of pay TV in january and use media center for all my TV needs. If I can't easily get media center installed tonight, it's back to win 7 for me. I'm also going to start looking at linux options, it's easy enough to run win 7 as a VM for things that don't work with linux.

I'm thinking Microsoft seriously under estimated the number of Media Center users!

This release was announced as Enterprise N. This is not Enterprise. The N Series of OS is aimed at companies, it streams out the Media center. It is on purpose.

Not sure what you mean by this. I didn't see an N next to the ISO I downloaded for windows 8 pro...

N stands for No Media PLAYER. Not Media CENTER.

About the underestimation:

Quote: 

Our opt-in usage telemetry shows that in July, Windows Media Center was launched by 6% of Windows 7 users globally with the heaviest usage in Russia, Mexico, and Brazil (frequency and time). However, most people are just looking around; only one quarter (25% of 6%) of these people used it for more than 10 minutes per session (individual averages), and in 59% of Media Center sessions (by these 6% of users) we see almost no activity (less than a minute or two of usage). TV was the most common scenario we observed, and not surprisingly, traditional media (DVD and CD) are less common (and declining over time) than streaming and file-based content. By comparison, Media Player (66% of Windows users in July) and IE (88%) are popular rendering engines for all types of media content, including an increased volume of "premium" and streaming content. This is another place we’re reminded of the tremendous diversity of Windows activity.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/02/reflecting-on-our-first-conversations-part-2.aspx

Maybe the usage in the period (July 2011) was not reflecting the real userbase? Due to summer holidays?

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Confirmed! I have WMC now! Thanks for sharing this.

Too early. I have Media Center running, but my activation is screwed. The key above is not good enough for activation, although it gave me the installation of WMC. My old key is not working anymore because it is for Pro and not for Pro with Media Center.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:53 PM
  • Yes, you have Media Center now, but check your activation status.  Is Windows STILL activated?
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:53 PM
  • "Our opt-in usage telemetry shows that in July" Yeah, the numbers are probably a little skewed.  :-/

If I were given the choice to opt-in I most likely 100% didn't opt in.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:54 PM
  • You're an idiot.  Did you even bother to CHECK your activation status after entering this key?  Of course not. If you use that key, it BREAKS Windows Activation, which means blue nag screens every couple hours and WMC won't work properly.

Listen, kids.  TEST your solutions BEFORE posting them here.  Otherwise you are wasting a lot of people's time.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:10 PM
  • You're an idiot.  Did you even bother to CHECK your activation status after entering this key?  Of course not. If you use that key, it BREAKS Windows Activation, which means blue nag screens every couple hours and WMC won't work properly.

Listen, kids.  TEST your solutions BEFORE posting them here.  Otherwise you are wasting a lot of people's time.

Hold on a min. I think we are all TESTING this stuff here. Good grief.

By the way I didn't try this method cause I'm not home. LOL

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Indeed.  Anybody know of any way back?  I've tried running the setup disc again, but it won't transfer settings etc, only personal files.  Looks like a clean install may be on the cards, with the best part of a day wasted :(
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:16 PM
  • System restore maybe? At least windows 8 installs pretty quickly, for me anyway.
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Yes, you have Media Center now, but check your activation status.  Is Windows STILL activated?

You got me there... Thanks for pointing that out. I can confirm that Media Center is working, but as Waverunnr points out, Windows now shows not being activated. :(

However, it will give me a chance to test it out. :)

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Isn't that all about learning: "wasted" time?
    Learning takes time and is never wasted.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Isn't that all about learning: "wasted" time?
    Learning takes time and is never wasted.

Like I said, y'all need to do the learning BEFORE you post solutions.  Posting untested solutions and saying YEAH IT WORKS when NO IT REALLY DOESN'T just wastes peoples time and makes you look silly.

And yes, I'm pissed off that I have to downgrade 3 computers to the release preview so I can get Media Center back.  That's wasted time now and more wasted time in the future.

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:54 AM
  •  OK, for those of you who were inconvenienced by the information I posted, I apologize. However, I (like most people) am not perfect and with many new technologies, these forums (and others like them: xda, thegreenbutton, ppcgeeks, ect...) provide a place to help increase the knowledge, experience and solve problems of everyone willing to read and contribute to them. But, people have to pick a place to start so others can HELP point out what they may have missed until a more encompassing solution is found. Most solutions on the forums are finalized by a few willing souls ready to test the proposed solution and confirm whether or not it works in hopes that it does indeed solve their issue. I also like to think that most people testing software under MSDN and TechNet (or "testing" ANYTHING for that matter) understands the risk possibly having to reinstall b/c a workaround or hack didn't quite workout as expected. 

Now, all of this being said, this solution did work for my purposes (I too ended up doing a reinstall in the end). Sure I would have preferred to have a fully activated OS w/ Media Center but, my goal was to test windows 8 Media Center in a final release build to verify if there were any bugfixes or improvements that would correct a few longstanding issues I've had to workaround on different systems. So here are the results I gathered, in case it saves anyone some time.

Note: you must have Win8 Pro already installed and your OS will no longer be activated after install of the Media Center Pack

1. The key I posted did allow me to install Win8 Media Center for "TESTING PURPOSES" in the same way I would use it in a retail product. (so far this is the only way we can on try MC in RTM)

2. I can confirm that this version of Media Center is not going to solve any issues of failed TV recordings when recorded directly to NAS (or any indirectly attached storage)

3. I can confirm that there is still no native support for recording to a NAS or network location in Win8 Pro MC. (still requires a reg edit or iSCSI to workaround)

4. This key (and likely the upcoming "official upgrade" key) acts like a service pack install more than a standard add-on. (but with no reversible way to downgrade)

5. The Win8 Pro MC key did completely replace my original install key. In other words, you don't just get a key for an add-on, you are getting an OS upgrade of sorts.

6. The install wiped all sys restore points associated with the original key that was used for the initial install, making a sys restore to downgrade impossible. (If your gonna test, make a system image first)

So, for me, these findings say that a HTPC build is probably better off running Win7 for the foreseeable future. I also believe that there is nothing noticeably important for me to be anxiously awaiting the Media Center Pack. 

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Code:
    BUILD: 6.2.9200.16384.WIN8_RTM.120725-1247
    FILE: Windows_8_Pro_EN-US_x86.ISO
    SIZE: 2,632,460,288 byte
    SHA-1: B30B7D770F047CF427E836ABC048501EFF8A1FAC
    MD5: 99C94934E53B4E28E955D4FCB06CAAA8
    CRC: A13474A9

BUILD: 6.2.9200.16384.WIN8_RTM.120725-1247
    FILE: Windows_8_Pro_EN-US_x64.ISO
    SIZE: 3,581,853,696 byte
    SHA-1: E63C1D3733532ABC7AB28F3D61526E361E80271A
    MD5: 7A10316A79A543F2BF4953A4332B4323
    CRC: 5D7BB5F4

x86:
    Core = FB4WR-32NVD-4RW79-XQFWH-CYQG3 – retail key
    Professional = XKY4K-2NRWR-8F6P2-448RF-CRYQH – retail key
    Professional WMC = RR3BN-3YY9P-9D7FC-7J4YF-QGJXW - retail key for Windows Media Center
    Note: These keys are just for installing windows 8 -_- They do not activate windows 8

x64:
    Core = FB4WR-32NVD-4RW79-XQFWH-CYQG3 – retail key
    Professional = XKY4K-2NRWR-8F6P2-448RF-CRYQH – retail key
    Professional WMC = RR3BN-3YY9P-9D7FC-7J4YF-QGJXW - retail key for Windows Media Center
    Note: These keys are just for installing windows 8 -_- They do not activate windows 8

NOTE: this is original M$ image.
    This distributive can be installed with Retail or Volume non WMC (Windows Media Center) license keys.
    by W.Z.T
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:47 AM
  • Can U Plz Concern that the iso of that MD5

99C94934E53B4E28E955D4FCB06CAAA8

is original ?

Monday, March 11, 2013 8:08 PM
  • Thanks but Microsoft Team is active over the web and they're trying to eliminate any further links to Windows ISO files. I search it for 2 hours and suddenly i found a blue edition free offline ISO link that is working fine.

Previously we saw dozens of links were deleted by Microsoft Team including your above link. So in my opinion you can't get ISO file of Windows 8 Media Center Edition. Microsoft now strict their policies day by day and thousands of sites receive DMCA complaints monthly basis.

So i recommend you to use online downloader for Windows 8 or use windows blue edition with official ISO file. links are checked and working fine for me (y)

1. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

2. http://www.urgentfiles.com/2015/03/windows-8.1-all-in-one-iso-free-download.html

Sunday, December 13, 2015 12:33 AM