none
Plugged in, Not Charging

Question

• I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 running windows 7 RC and recently developed this problem a couple of nights ago. On and off before that I would get the message, unplugged the AC power, plug it back in and it would start charging again. It has now developed into a permanent problem. I have googled this issue and found everything I can find on how to fix it, but nothing seems to work. Others have tried replacing batteries, motherboards, power supplies and reloading OS's. What works for one person doesn't always work for another. Most solutions are just temporary band-aids to what seems to be a growing problem. Has this issue been addressed in the final release?

I had been running windows XP for years and never had a problem; it has only been since installing Windows 7 that the problem began. If this is a driver issue inside of Windows is Microsoft planning on issuing an update to fix the issue or are they just banking on 7 fixing all the issues that Vista has? This is not a brand specific issue as far as PC's go, I am an IT professional and have spoken with many other IT folks about it and nobody has been able to get an answer out of Microsoft and the laptop companies (Dell, HP ect.) are milking more money out of users by telling them they need new batteries, power supplies and motherboards that at best are a temporary solution. This issue really needs to be addressed.

Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:41 PM

All replies

• I have an Inspiron 1520 that has always run Vista, much to my regret.  This began for me, also occassionally and getting progressively worse until never charing, when it was less than a year old.  Dell told me it was the cord.  I spent 80 bucks on a new cord.  No good.   Did some research online (a simple google of the phrase "plugged in not charging" will get you started with several results discussing this.)  It seems to tie to Vista.  I tried many sort of "reset" suggestions that had worked for others, like turning off, unplugging, update the BIOS, etc. ad nauseum.  Worked very temporarially to get to charge once in awhile, then even that stopped working, (not sure why it worked to begin with) so now for the past 7 months I have less than 10% battery life, which defeats the purpose of a laptop, to my way of thinking.  I've talked to MANY people who are smarter than me on this stuff and had the suggestion that it was the battery.  My computer tells met he battery is in good health.  Had the battery tested, tried other battery (swapped with a friend).  STILL nothing.  The conclusion among the smart people is that it's not the battery, so I refuse to spend more money on that when Dell was wrong on the cord and there are so many posts about similar experiences across manufacturers.  This is NOT a battery issue.  The common denominator is Vista.  Would go back to XP, but other boards addressing this have ppl that have gone back to XP and it hasn't resolved it.  Once you have it, you have it, it seems.   Ordered 7 hoping that the update would include the fix, so am quite disappointed that the problem seems to continue in 7.  
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:55 AM
  •  The original battery is quite old and has had it's better days. I was getting errors with it but they were a separate issue, once I would unplug it and it would go from 100% to 85-90% in the blink of an eye. I finally got tired enough of this to order a new battery, which was installed roughly a week ago. Now I'm stuck at 62% because it will no longer charge. I would be led to believe this was a hardware issue as well, given the symptoms it's quite a logical assumption. However, given the apparent disregard for brand, type or age it's just too widespread to be hardware problem. If it was a situation where only Dell's or only HP's were having an issue that I would believe is hardware, but it's not. If it really is an issue related to power consumption, then it would still be a Microsoft problem that needs to be addressed. Bottom line it seems to be a widespread issue for Vista users, so it's not a huge leap to find that Windows 7 is also having the same problem given it's similarities. I definitely appreciate the collaboration; this issue has really been kicking my ____ (I've been trying to find the solution for my sister as well)!

Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:42 AM
  • Have you tried removing the battery and running on the power adapter only? That should help you rule out battery or adapter.
    The power adapter will fail slowly, still showing a green light, yet not working correctly. Eventually it fails. Try another from a friend or another if you have it. Just match the voltage and amps on the adapter when trying another.

Have Vista on 2 Dell Laptops with no issues. Went through the same issue on an Insp 9300 with XP Pro, first the battery failed and then eventually, the adapter within two months of each other. I don't recommend using generic batteries(non-dell branded) as they don't have temperature sensors and will not provide an overheating warning. That's why they are cheaper.

So, try to rule out the power adapter.
    The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:12 AM
  • Yea, it runs like a champ when it's plugged in, with or without the battery. I just can't seem to get it to charge. Multiple adapters and multiple batteries and still no joy. I'm pretty skeptical that it's my hardware based on what others have tried, like the earlier poster who had this problem was told it was the adapter, ordered a new one from Dell and it still didn't fix it. Some have gone as far as replacing the mobo, sometimes it fixes it for a day or two but more often than not people are just out large sums of money.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:30 PM
  • My company have lots of Dell laptops. Based on my experience, the lifecycle of Dell battery is less than 1 year. We had to change to batteries for employees. Have you discussed this issue with Dell Support? There is no evidence to say it is an OS issue. We need to focus on the hardware instead.

Best Regards,
    Kirin Xue
    Monday, August 17, 2009 6:26 AM
  • As stated before, there is quite a bit of evidence that this is an OS issue and not a hardware problem. This is not only affecting one brand of computers, this is affecting Dell, HP, and IBM's among others. Also, my hardware has either been checked by using known good equipment or replaced recently (new battery within the last couple of weeks). I'm not sure what OS your company is running, but I know mine (which also uses lots of Dell products) is not running Vista, let alone close to installing 7.

I understand why people keep saying that it's hardware, but when I've replaced or tested my hardware and still have the issue (minus replacing the mobo) then it rules out hardware. Add the fact that it's a widespread issue affecting multiple brands and it's not logical to continue to assert that its hardware related. I (as some others have noted I'm sure) am becoming more and more certain this is a driver issue. If the driver is prone to corruption it would explain why it's affecting so many different brands and it's not a guarantee that you will get it.

It's just far to coincidental that it's happening on machines that have nothing in common except the OS (New & Old PC's alike). I believe it's something that warrants being addressed if for no other reason than to prove to those like me who are adamant that's it's OS related.

Thanks for the input though, it's definatley not unwelcome!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Is the most recent BIOS installed? Boot into the BIOS. Under power management check the battery. Is it reported OK? Exit and restart.

You may want to install the Dell Quickset software. This provides the information necessary for battery status and health and it will allow the onboard NIC to be powered off when you are connected wirelessly and on the battery. That's not included in the OS(XP, Vista, Win 7) and improves battery life.

Try this from Dell for the E1705. See what happens if the Quickset doesn't help .

The links are for 32-bit Vista E1705 which will work in Win 7 32-bit. You didn't mention which version was installed, but there are 64-bit versions available. Just install them as they are, no compatibility mode needed and select the appropriate version.

Laptop manufacturers design and engineer the hardware to their own specifications. The necessary drivers are required for the hardware to function properly. Therefore, use of manufacturer specific drivers is sometimes required after a reinstallation of the OS or a new OS to enable the hardware to interface correctly with the OS. (touchpads, fingerprint readers, soundcards, power management features). It's the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer to provide drivers
    to communicate and correctly report to the OS the battery and charging status. (ACPI compliant) The OS only monitors what the hardware provides.

OS bashing does not shine well on the basher. The evidence that you describe resulted from faulty batteries or power adapters or the reinstallation of an OS without the proper drivers from the manufacturer. That is the common link.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:43 AM
  • I'm running the most current BIOS and the battery reports as healthy, just not charged. I'll give the quickset a shot when I get off work tonight and let you know how it works.

I understand that laptop manufactures design their own drivers for what they need and I am very farmiliar with downloading drivers that are not included in the OS. That being said if there is a known issue with driver compatability between an OS and a PC's than the OS manufacture has a better chance of putting pressure on the PC manufacture to get an updated driver out there. Currently what's happening is people are being told they need to buy new power supplies, batteries and motherboards that they may or may not need. 

I don't consider what I've been saying OS bashing at all. I was simply stating that the common link appeared to be Vista/Windows 7. I actually am quite fond of 7, fond enough that I purchased two copies (alibet before this issue began). I'm just looking for a means to an end that won't cost me money I don't have for hardware I don't need. 

Well anyway, all that aside, I give that a shot and keep my fingers crossed that it fixes the issue! 
    ~For some reason being A+ Certified kind of feels like getting a High School diploma, only more expensive...
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:05 PM
  • It's a hardware issue. Some laptop batteries get really hot while charging, and if the laptop is running and under load they will get even hotter. To prevent the sensitive Lithium-Ion cells from catching fire, there is a thermal sensor inside which suspends charging if the cells exceed a certain threshold (i believe it's 50C). Shut down the laptop and you'll find that the battery will charge.

Also, when you use the laptop on AC power and don't need to leave right away with it, take out the battery. This will more than double its service life. Batteries wear out very quickly if kept fully charged all the time.
    • Proposed as answer by bontox Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:05 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Any joy using the Dell Quickset?
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 10:53 AM
  • No, no joy. I tried both the quickset and the Power Management and it didn't help. About all the quickset did was make it notify me when I plug it in that it's not charging, instead of having to hover over the icon in the sys tray, which I suppose is kind of nice.....
    ~For some reason being A+ Certified kind of feels like getting a High School diploma, only more expensive...
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:56 PM
  • Hello,

New here, but here is what I did and it seems to now be working. Im on a Bestbuy Black Friday Special Gateway that I bought about 2 years ago.  It came with Vista preloaded and I just upgraded to Windows 7 and got the same message.

1. Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .
    2. Expand the Batteries category.
    3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .
      WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
    4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes.
      Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .
    Give that a try!

Worked for me with a 2 year old battery.
    • Proposed as answer by E--F Sunday, May 05, 2013 1:09 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:13 PM
  • This did not work for me. It uninstalled the two instances of Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and for a couple of seconds the battery icon showing "97% available (plugged in, not charging") went away from the Taskbar, only to return, saying the same thing.

My (work) laptop is a HP Elitebook running Win 7 with all the latest updates, maybe a year old. Battery is in good condition. This issue has happened on the adapter in my travel bag, as well as the the docking station in my office, which uses another adapter. Both adapters are about a year old (same age as the laptop).

I have had XP Professional on this same laptop until maybe a month ago when Win 7 was installed. The issue never happened (or was not apparent due to less status reporting) while using XP Professional.

Either there is an illogical set of coincidences, or there is an issue with Windows 7. Like another respondent above, I am not a Win 7 basher -- I love the OS, having bought it the day it was released for all the laptops in my house. I do not believe any of my home laptops (all older) have this issue, which sort of diminishes the argument against Win 7 being the cause.
    -- Wayne
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:28 PM
  • This is not a hardware problem, as previously stated, it's an OS problem. I have a 1 year old laptop that ran Vista and had the same problem. I upgraded to Windows 7 and still the same problem. I tried a new battery pack and plug, still the problem. I love Microsoft products and refuse to go to sour Apple, but this is their issue and needs to be addressed. Too many people are having the same problem and the common denominator is Vista or 7.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:44 PM
  • 100% the same....and to prove it is a Win 7 (maybe Vista too) issue:

Had Win XP SP3 everything working fine.
    Then did a clean install of Win 7 Pro 32bit - All HP drivers, bios updates etc and had this problem - plugged in but not charging.
    Formatted and did a fresh install of XP SP3 - everything works.

I am utterly convinced that Win 7 handles power differently to XP - this may be the way the laptop manufacturers have implemented power which Win 7 doesn't like and having read hundreds of posts there is a very definite trend of this happening to people after upgrading to Win 7 / Vista and particularly on Dell / HP and to a lesser extent IBM laptops.

A lot of people have said removing and reinstalling the  Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery in device manager has worked for them....(not me - and as the above poster I have two instances of this in my device manager)

Microsoft - PLEASE HELP!!!

Sunday, January 03, 2010 9:55 PM
  • I too had the same issue, "plugged in, not charging" and here's what I did to resolve this.
    Hopefully this will help someone else. The only difference to the steps described to removing MS ACPI compliant Control Method Battery in the device manager is that
    when I uninstalled that device, I unplugged the AC adapter. Then shut down the laptop immediately.

I waited couple minutes and plugged in the AC adapter, then rebooted. Once windows is back to the desktop, I hovered the cursor over the battery
    icon, and now it said plugged in and CHARGING! So the difference in the step is I didn't scan for hardware changes, I unplugged the AC adapter,
    then shut down. Plug the AC adapter in and reboot. As the computer is booting, it will scan and install the driver for that device.

By the way, my laptop is older Fujitsu Lifebook, OS is Win 7 (original OS was XP Media Ctr). AC adapter is not the original supplied by the manufacturer.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by NotATechy81 Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:39 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:52 PM
  • I too had the same issue, "plugged in, not charging" and here's what I did to resolve this.
    Hopefully this will help someone else. The only difference to the steps described to removing MS ACPI compliant Control Method Battery in the device manager is that
    when I uninstalled that device, I unplugged the AC adapter. Then shut down the laptop immediately.

I waited couple minutes and plugged in the AC adapter, then rebooted. Once windows is back to the desktop, I hovered the cursor over the battery
    icon, and now it said plugged in and CHARGING! So the difference in the step is I didn't scan for hardware changes, I unplugged the AC adapter,
    then shut down. Plug the AC adapter in and reboot. As the computer is booting, it will scan and install the driver for that device.

By the way, my laptop is older Fujitsu Lifebook, OS is Win 7 (original OS was XP Media Ctr). AC adapter is not the original supplied by the manufacturer.

Cheers

I just had to make a name and say that I am so thankful I found this.  This has been the only solution.  I've spent over $100 on a charger hoping that was the fix, I've spent countless hours searching for the answer, and finally I found this.  It has been the only real solution.

Thank you so much for this.
    • Proposed as answer by thorn726 Monday, August 22, 2011 6:37 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:56 AM
  • I have HP Compaq 6020s. Windows 7 x64 Pro. Same problem, same solution. But problem appears again time to time.

Seems like this problem was appeared on Vista and still not fixed.

What needs to happen for Microsoft to fix this problem?
    How we, who pay for your products, can help to fix it
    ?
    What should we do to fix it?
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 1:01 AM
  •  

THIS IS THE SOLUTION AND IT WILL TAKE 90 SECONDS TO FIX

Power management software in Windows Vista

Understanding battery charging issues
    If the notebook battery is not charging or the notebook does not indicate that the battery is charging, the most likely scenario is that the battery itself is operating correctly, but its power management software may have become corrupt. In order to correct the problem, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the power management software by using the Device Manager. This document will explain how to uninstall and reinstall the ACPI Battery listings in Windows Vista, as well as how to obtain and install updated BIOS files, if needed to correct other battery issues.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling power management software in Windows Vista
    In order to correct problems with the battery's power management software, follow the steps below.
    1. Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .
    2. Expand the Batteries category.
    3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .
    WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
    4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .
    Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .
    Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging.
    www.diggingshop.com
    • Proposed as answer by betty122 Friday, March 05, 2010 1:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by IT Specialist Friday, March 05, 2010 5:12 PM
    Friday, March 05, 2010 1:34 AM
  • This does work for a select few people, it does not work for everyone. Myself being one of them. It was worth a shot though!

Friday, March 05, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Took me a while, but I found a solution that worked for me.  Recently upgraded my hp 8510w laptop from Vista Pro to W7 Pro via clean install.  Same issues here: "plugged in, not charging".  Here are the steps I went through to get it working:

1) Disconnect AC

2) Shutdown

3) Remove battery

4) Connect AC

5) Startup

6) Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall.  Do this for each instance (I had 2 batteries installed, so 2 instances.  Most users will only have 1).

7) Shutdown

8) Disconnect AC

9) Insert battery

10) Connect AC

11) Startup

Hopefully, this will work for others!!!

• Proposed as answer by Morgii Sunday, June 27, 2010 5:40 AM
    Friday, April 02, 2010 1:37 PM

Cheers

I just had to make a name and say that I am so thankful I found this.  This has been the only solution.  I've spent over $100 on a charger hoping that was the fix, I've spent countless hours searching for the answer, and finally I found this.  It has been the only real solution.

Thank you so much for this.

Folks, this is the one. This fixes the problem. "Scan for hardware changes" does not.

Thanks so much for posting this solution.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 4:34 PM
  • I apparently also had this problem, but all I had to do was remove the battery while still plugged in, and put it back in after around 15 seconds.
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 10:06 AM
  • This set of steps fixed my problem on Windows 7 Ultimate.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Took me a while, but I found a solution that worked for me.  Recently upgraded my hp 8510w laptop from Vista Pro to W7 Pro via clean install.  Same issues here: "plugged in, not charging".  Here are the steps I went through to get it working:

1) Disconnect AC

2) Shutdown

3) Remove battery

4) Connect AC

5) Startup

6) Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall.  Do this for each instance (I had 2 batteries installed, so 2 instances.  Most users will only have 1).

7) Shutdown

8) Disconnect AC

9) Insert battery

10) Connect AC

11) Startup

I did this on a HP 6730b brand new Windows 7 Pro 32 bit and it has worked for now. There are still 2 listings for the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery even though I only have 1 battery.
    • Proposed as answer by alihijazi Friday, July 09, 2010 1:31 PM
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 10:42 PM

1) Disconnect AC

2) Shutdown

3) Remove battery

4) Connect AC

5) Startup

7) Shutdown

8) Disconnect AC

9) Insert battery

10) Connect AC

11) Startup

I have a brand new (2.5 months) Gateway NV53 with Win7 and this fixed the whole "plugged in, not charging" problem with no trouble! My battery power had been slowly been decreasing in batt power over the past week so after contemplating taking it to an IT person I decided to look up my problem first and within minutes of doing this i'm already back to "Fully charged (100%)" :) Thank-you!
    • Proposed as answer by MMJ11 Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:10 PM
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 5:39 AM
  • I purchased an Alienware M17x last december and i noticed this issue today a couple of hours ago. ive reseached many solutions, from removing the battery, to removing the software associated to the battery power mabagement. nothing worked. Then i thought logicaly. what other reason could there be to power the computer but not charge the battery. if the software is running correctly one reason is very simple and obvious everyone has forgotten about it. Its simple, there isnt enough power to keep the computer  running and charge the battery at the same time. I noticed that the computer was connected to a multiplug power strip that supplies power to many devices. by simply conecting the power supply to a direct line to the wall, problem is fixed.

Next time you encounter this problem start from the wall. Maybe the connection you are using is simply not enough.

• Proposed as answer by UchihaHunter Monday, July 12, 2010 2:02 AM
    Thursday, July 01, 2010 2:37 PM
  • I just wanted to say, I'm using a Gateway NV53 and tried the earlier solutions, but this is the only one that actually worked!  I was wondering because it's not like anything has happened to the computer specifically, so it didn't make sense for it not to be charging...even with this solution, my power strip was only powering my external HD and the laptop, but apparently that was too much...more like a fail strip, lol
    Monday, July 12, 2010 2:02 AM
  • I had this same issue on a HP laptop running Window 7.  I tried the uninstall of "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" but that didn't work (even with all the unplug and plug in tricks. 

What I did notice is that I had TWO (2) Drivers listed under Batteries for "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" even though I only have one battery.  When I disabled both of them my computer would start charging (without notification).  When I re-enabled the first one and left the second disabled, everything works wonderfully.

Hope that helps some folks.

Sunday, August 01, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Tried every solution provided above , but nothing helped. May some day some one  provide some solution .
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:33 PM
  • I do have Acer aspire laptop. And also suffered not charging problem. but my one physically get charge but do not show in task bar. Anyway i google it thousand times and get the solution to unplug battery and uninstall driver from device manager. But i suffered so many times. So far its microsoft driver issue problem. Finally i got a solution what is :

Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .
    1. Expand the Batteries category.
    2. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Disable and wait few moments and make it Enable again. Thats it
      WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver. And do not uninstall anything.
    Give that a try! It works like a magic to me.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:44 PM
  • At least you can try my solution:

Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .

1. Expand the Batteries category.
    2. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Disable and wait few moments and make it Enable again. Thats it
      WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver. And do not uninstall anything.
    Give that a try! It works like a magic to me.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:47 PM

Cheers

I also had to create a login in just to say thank you charle39! Thanks so much:) I was really freaking out when my brand new Gateway with Windows 7 had the 'plugged in, not charging' message at only 3%.  I use it for work and I need it to be mobile so it was a huge worry that I'd have to run out and get a new battery.  I too tried the other posters method but only these steps worked right away.  Thanks again for saving the day!
    • Proposed as answer by NotATechy81 Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:42 PM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:41 PM

Cheers

this was one the one fix that worked for me.

Friday, October 29, 2010 2:49 PM
  • My battery is already at 0%, so if I disconnect AC my notebook will immediately shut down, can't turn it off by myself can't be on a battery even for a second... so just wondering should I leave my battery anyway or remove it before I uninstall MS ACPI compliant Control Method Battery...

Anyone's help is appreciated,

thanks in advance

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:27 PM
  • Thanks Charle39!

This issue just happened to me tonight after I did a Windows Update and turned on my eMachines, Win7 laptop (less than 10 months old) that started to show me the "Plugged in, not charging message" that I initially thought was due to the recent Windows update.

First I just turned off the laptop and removed and placed back the battery. Once I booted up and plugged the adapter in it showed 100% charge, but when I removed the cord, the battery setting read 96%. When I plugged the cord back in it read 100% still. So I knew there was an issue.

It does look like you have to do the disable, unplug AC, shutdown, then replug, boot-up to get the charge to start working again since when I just disabled/enabled, nothing changed.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 9:55 AM
  • I have been having this problem too. I went to Google and i searched "Plugged in, not charging" i have found many people with the same problem. So i go to this website http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/plugged-in-not-charging-solution-dell/5290.html and i try the solution out. It actually worked. I tapped the head of the charger were you plug it in the laptop. And that is the solution for this problem. 
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:00 AM
  • 1- When you power on your laptop, if your battery is above 95%. you will get the message "plugged but not charging"

2- When you power on your laptop, if your battery is under 95%, you will see the message "Plugged and charging" until the battery charge reaches 100% (not 95%). That's why sometimes, even if you see that your battery is at 97% and charging also, that means before starting your laptop, the battery was under 95% and reaches 97% since then.
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 12:37 AM
  • My computer kinda has the same problem, except when it's plugged in, it says it's charging. But it's not. I can leave it plugged in all day, and then when I unplug it, it has like 5% power
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Also, my computer is a windows 7, through and through, it NEVER ran on vista.
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 12:53 AM
  • try the solution from the user GJ Shumel
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 1:28 PM
  • This one didn't help me.  I'll be trying the pull the battery out version next.  You'd think over a year later there'd be a better answer.  From Microsoft.  Like an actual fix.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 2:09 AM
  • This worked. 

I have a custom Alienware M17x.  Alienware laptops have the alien heads that light up when the laptop is plugged in.  If  it is charging they can be set to glow in one color and when fully charged to glow in another color.  This is whether the laptop is turned on or not, it still glows with your preset colors.  How does it know, when the laptop is off?  The same way the stupid battery charging knows.  When I get the 'plugged in, not charging' message, it is not charging when on or off and the color it is glowing is the not charging color.  As soon as I did this fix, the only one that worked for me, the color was glowing correctly the instant both battery and AC were reconnected. 

And yet, MS still claims it's not their problem.  REALLY?  When this is happening across the board to all brands and models of laptops?  Mine was delivered on Dec 16, 2010 and I got the problem on Sunday March 6, 2011.  Not even a full 3 months old.  Yeah right the battery is already dead.  Uh huh.  When I've only used battery power 3 times?  And the AC adapter is shot?  Ok, yet the laptop still works fine when plugged in.  Hmmm....  Is there enough sarcasm dripping yet? 

Remove the battery!  Thank you so very very much ocrts!

Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:16 AM
  • That's what I thought it might be as well, except the first place I plugged into was the wall at my cousin's house.  She didn't have an available opening on her power strip.  But I still thought it might be her house.  So I tried again at my Aunt's house.  Still no go, straight into a wall.  I'm glad I was smart enough to unplug it before the lightning started!  :)  So far, the battery removal method has worked for me, and I can tell when I have the problem vs. when it is solved by the preset Alien head colors.  When it says 'plugged in, not charging' it's glowing in my theme instead of the charging red & orange I have it set to.  When it is charging correctly I get the red & orange, as correctly preset.  I also have an M17x, delivered in Dec, but mine was 2010.  And the problem is ongoing, no fix?  Not cool Microsoft!
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:23 AM
  • Charle39- Hats offf.....Thanks a million. After 2hrs of googling, Im finally at peace with my Acer Emachine E730 which I have purchased 2 months back from a different country and was devasted that the battery wasnt charging. You cracked it for me.......Thanks again...Guys this one takes away the award...
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 11:07 AM
  • WE just got a HP 4525 probook 3 days ago and were getting these battery plugged in not charging.....your post fixed it right away!
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:12 AM
  • I have purchase new Dell Inspiron N5010,after a few days, i found that battery is showing status like "17%available (plugged in , not charging)". Without AC power Laptop is not start. Currently i am using Windows 7. i apply this work around but my problem is not solved. If any one find another solution or any others information regarding this issue , then it will highly appreciated if he,she told me about.
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Hi All,

Save you reading down this forum trying to pick out the useful posts, which isnt easy i can tell you that. You may what to take a http://www.mypchealth.co.uk/Win7Plugnocharge.php. Its help relating to this problem including solutions suggested here and others. Its worth a look

MyPcHealth ------ Some Free Tools
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 11:25 AM

• You can buy the replacement battery from the website:
    http://www.es-bateria.com/bateria.php/DELL_inspiron+e1705_1.html

High quality, brand new and one year warranty.
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 3:24 AM
  • I have a HP DV6-3140se, bought it 5 months ago and yesterday I was working on my battery to drain it and after that i hooked it up with my AC adapter and it was showing 6% available(plugged in , not charging), i freaked out and tried all sort of stuff but it would not get fixed permanently as it would do the same thing after 10 - 15 mins...I dont know if its the problem with the operating system or what but i did realize that even when it did not boot windows it was showing that the battery is fully charged while it was only 6 percent( HP has a white light indicating full charging and orange that it is charging).

The solution for me was that i flashed my BIOS to the previous version and when i completed the rewriting windows started charging and the orange light suddenly came on as well and then it restarted....after that the problem got fixed.....so kindly if the problem is still persisting i would suggest that you flash your BIOS....it might help you.....Cheers

Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Thankyou so much! I was able to solve the problem on my own with your advice!
    Friday, June 17, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Well what work for me is

Disconnet AC 

Then shutdown your computer

Remove the battery

Connect AC

Start up your computer

Shutdown your computer

Disconnect AC

Insert battery

Connect AC

Start up your computer

I hope this helps you.

• Proposed as answer by MMJ11 Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:10 PM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:46 PM
  • I need help because my laptop can't work without the charger even though the battery is plugged
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 6:02 PM
  • The best way to troubleshoot this is from the simplest to the most difficult solutions.

1. Dells have a button that turns off charging.   So far I've only seen it as holding down FN and hitting F2.   It has a blue battery with a lightning bolt on the F2 button.  Hit this once, then hover over the battery a 30 seconds later to see if it is now charging.

2.  The next problem could be the power management in Windows.  Make sure you are hooked up to internet.  Go to "Device Manager" by typing it in the file search box in the lower left hand corner of the screen when you hit the Windows Icon.  Expand the batteries section.  Uninstall all instances of "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Methed Battery".  Then right click on Batteries and click Scan for hardware changes.  This should automatically install the correct drivers.  Be sure not to uninstall any of the other battery drivers.

3.  Take your power adapter and look in the center hole.  There should be a tiny pin.  If this is bent or damaged, you need a new power adapter.

4.  Take your battery out and examine the pins.  Look for bent or damaged pins.  If they are bent or damaged, you will at the very least need to get a new shell from Dell that can have your same hard drive in it.  This is unlikely as these are more sturdy, but you might as well try everything.

5.  At this point, you really need multiple power adapters and/or batteries to determine what stage of charging is failing.  You will likely need to call Dell to find out who to send or take your computer to for repairs.  They diagnose if it is a problem with the power adapter, battery, or internal connections within the shell.

Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Interesting this is still going on. Last night I decided upgrade my HP DV8301nr laptop from XP to Windows 7, at some point when I was installing updates for Win7, I noticed the battery icon wasn't moving and the charger was plugged in, I then noticed that the adapter from the charger was real hot, as soon as I unplugged the charger the laptop shut down, no power in the battery. I had another charging cable for another laptop with the same specs and plug, keep in mind I know this one is good as I was using it on the other laptop, I used the charger on the affected laptop, at first the battery charge icon would move up/down like it is supposed to when charging, it did this I think 3 times, then it stopped, after several minutes I noticed that this charger adapter was getting real hot just like the other, now I am thinking battery problem, so I took the battery out, plugged the power cord back in after it had cooled and it still got hot again, weird! I am convinced by the postings that I have read that it has something to do with Windows 7 configuration. I am now in the process of using my original recovery CDs and reinstalling original XP O/S, we will see what happens
    Friday, August 05, 2011 11:13 PM
  • I also reg'd to come in and say YES!!!! THIS >>> The only difference to the steps described to removing MS ACPI compliant Control Method Battery in the device manager is that
    when I uninstalled that device, I unplugged the AC adapter. Then shut down the laptop immediately.<<<< WORKED! the other similar methods did not thank you so much. Frikkin 6 month old laptop i barely use, did not make sense the battery would be messed up already
    • Proposed as answer by thekops78 Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by thekops78 Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:06 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Working with an HP Compaq Presario Notebook with Vista Home Basic with same "not charging" problem and performed the steps from Charle39 (see Jan 2010 above).  Was able to get to the desktop and charge for quite a while, but still getting the "not charging" message.  

I am able to force it to start charging with the following:  While at the desktop, unplug the AC adapter, wait a 5 seconds, plug AC adapter back in, wait 5 seconds, it starts charging!  When I did this before performing the fixit steps, the laptop would charge for only about 6 seconds.  After the fixit steps, it charged a lot longer!  I will try a couple other solutions from above to see if one will provide a permanent fix.

Each Unplug and plug-in of the AC adapter seemed to initiate the charging process; and after repeating it for quite a while I was able to get the battery life up to 97%!!!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:29 AM
  • i tried all of these, nothing worked. finally i tried a different ac adapter and it started charging immediately.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:54 AM

Cheers

YES! At last! Thanks, charle39.

I tried all the tricks (except bios update), most at least twice, but this is the one that worked for me: Uninstall the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" under Batteries in Device Manager then UNPLUG THE CHARGER then restart the Laptop. This would obviously be a problem for someone with 0% charge left.

(My Laptop is a HP Probook 4730s less than 48 hours old. Was initially fine. If I'd not been able to fix it it would have gone back but was reluctant to just do that as I'd spent many hours updating, loading programs, configuring wireless networks, email etc.)

Just hope it works again if/when this problem recurs.   

Saturday, August 27, 2011 11:02 PM
  • Thank you for this. I tried a few other options and this finally worked for me. Made my day, thanks again.

Sean

Monday, August 29, 2011 2:52 AM

Cheers

YES! At last! Thanks, charle39.

I tried all the tricks (except bios update), most at least twice, but this is the one that worked for me: Uninstall the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" under Batteries in Device Manager then UNPLUG THE CHARGER then restart the Laptop. This would obviously be a problem for someone with 0% charge left.

(My Laptop is a HP Probook 4730s less than 48 hours old. Was initially fine. If I'd not been able to fix it it would have gone back but was reluctant to just do that as I'd spent many hours updating, loading programs, configuring wireless networks, email etc.)

Just hope it works again if/when this problem recurs.   

CONFIRMED. Does work. Thank god too because the company I bought my notebook from has terrible customer service.
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 2:12 PM
  • No doubt there are different causes.  

I determined my issue wasn't with Windows7 because the charging also failed to start even when Windows was shut down. But removing my battery for several seconds and reinserting it works every time for me though I cannot get to 100%.  I also get no warning at battery critical levels, just shutdowns.

My problem is whatever is in the battery for a controller and how it helps figure out remaining amount of power.  It's a few years old so I guess it's time for it to act up.

Monday, October 24, 2011 4:46 AM
  • another solution that worked for me: my computer is a refurbished gateway id49c windows 7 Home Premium came installed.

I had 15%, plugged in, not charging

1. I unplugged the ac

2. I uninstalled the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery in device manager, battery icon was gone from the system tray.

3. I plugged back the ac

4. I did a "scan for hardware changes" in device manager, the microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method battery got reinstalled.

5. battery started charging again after I got the battery icon back on the system tray.

I only hope that it goes past 75% as Iwas only getting the battery to charge upto 75% with the status plugged in, charging, (even after manual battery calibration). We will see what happens... as it is still charging as the writing of this note!

Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:57 AM
  • mine said the same "plugged in not charging 'i tried all many things for the net but the answer was the cable and transformer,i got off off ebay and it works fine for $12   
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 4:21 AM
  • thanks a lot...i have acer laptop with windows 7 and my laptop was having this plugged in not charging problem...i followed these steps and my problem was solved...
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:06 AM
  • I've been having this problem for about 6 months now. My sister has the same laptop as me so I tried putting my battery into her laptop and using my power cord. It gave me the same results as it would on mine. I tried her battery with my power cord in my laptop and that works perfect. So now I just need to get a new battery. I don't know how many people have access to an exactly identical version of their own laptop but if this is possible, please check before you go nuts trying other things.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Hey, So I have a similar problem.  My Asus 1201N laptop that has been running Windows 7 Home for 1.5 years and the battery has been working perfectly (still had about 3 hours charge during the day on Wed).  Wednesday night I had very little battery charge left (I'm going to say about 13%..), came home and plugged in and let Windows install its updates (I have them download by default and there were 21 that day).  I left it installing, went to bed.  The next day it had finished and I thought it was fine.  Turned out that it was no longer charging.  The status says 13%, charging but never moves and when I unplug the adapter it immediately dies.

I tried to roll-back to the state before the updates installed figuring that was the problem, but no luck.  Then I found this forum and tried uninstalling the ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery.  It seems to work (my battery icon starts to fill up again and again- the picture moves) but it only lasts about 20 seconds and then its back to 13%, charging (but its not charging).  

I'm pretty much convinced its not a hardware problem due to the suddenness of the issue and its corresponding to the updates.  My most recent attempt has been just to disable to ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and cross my fingers that its charging even though I can't see the status right now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:03 AM
  • plugged in not charging windows 7 solution
    with ac and battery in and system fully boot up and running
    plug out ac
    in device manager under battery uninstall microsoft acpi compliant control method battery
    plug  in ac
    scan for hardware changes in device manager
    icon now says plugged in charging
    I worked on a dell inspiron 1545 that had the plugged in not charging windows 7 and the above solution rectified it.
    P.S follow the exact sequence. 
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:07 PM

1) Disconnect AC

2) Shutdown

3) Remove battery

4) Connect AC

5) Startup

7) Shutdown

8) Disconnect AC

9) Insert battery

10) Connect AC

11) Startup

I've been looking for an answer for a couple of weeks now.  My laptop, with a few week old battery, had become a slim desktop or coffee table top because the battery was dead and would not charge.  Also, if you were in the middle of something and the cord came disconnected from the back of the laptop, of course, it died and you lost everything.  At any rate, I finally happened onto this thread and found the it worked for me.  I had resolved for it being a hardware issue and was actually searching how I could charge the battery manually.  After something I heard in a RC shop yesterday made me think that the batteries were so low that the computer didn't even know they were connected.  Of course, I simply had to shut mine down and then remove the power cord and then insert my batteries because my battery was so low.  Battery is charging now!  Schweet!  Thanks!

Finally, I didn't have an account before this post, but wanted everyone to know this worked for my issue on my Dell Vostro 1520 with Windows 7 Professional.

• Edited by larry754 Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:53 PM
    • Proposed as answer by MMJ11 Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:12 PM
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:52 PM
  • No matter how many times in a day that I shutdown, the problem remains. Not will to replace battery as I,m not convinced that that is the problem.
    Monday, January 16, 2012 6:06 PM
  • I just had the "plugged in, not charging" problem with my Dell Latitude E6410 64-bit Windows 7 Pro laptop connected to a E-port docking station. I took out the battery while the machine was running as suggested above in one of the posts. When I put the battery back in I got the Dell message:

"Your docking station power adapter is not recognized by your Dell notebook. As a result, your power adapter may not provide sufficient power to run the system, your battery will not charge, your system will run slowly. Please insert a 90 watt Dell approved power adapter."

I was using one of my old PA-10 Family dell adapters. I switched back to the proper 90 watt Dell adapter and problem fixed (plugged in, charging).

Friday, January 27, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

here is a page on laptop plugged in but not charging. It maybe worth a read if your having problems. Goes through possible software and hardware issues.

Free Support Tools
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 12:25 PM

1) Disconnect AC

2) Shutdown

3) Remove battery

4) Connect AC

5) Startup

7) Shutdown

8) Disconnect AC

9) Insert battery

10) Connect AC

11) Startup

This worked for me on my acer aspire one AO532h w/ Windows 7 home premium. It was stuck @ 54% plugged in, not charging. Followed exactly and its working fine!
    • Edited by s_gray42 Sunday, February 05, 2012 8:54 PM
    Sunday, February 05, 2012 8:53 PM
  • I put a new battery in  my Dell Vostro 1000. After five hours of charging, the message read what it did with the old battery: zero charge, charging.  I then tried the above.  Nada. Then I pulled the new battery, and put it back in. The display then read 99% available, charging.  Go figure.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:56 AM
  • My Dell Vostro 1000 wouldn't charge. Bought a new battery, plugged in the charger, five hours later the message read 'zero charge, charging'. Tried the above. Nada. With the computer on, took out the battery and put it in again. Message now reads: 99% available (plugged in, charging).  Go figure.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 2:00 AM
  • I have just encountered a similar problem with a Sony Vaio running Windows 7 Ultimate.  Battery been fine, no problems, showing 72% and charging.  Unplug from AC and laptop is off, instantly.  Battery clearly not working.  

Found a suggested fix which I have used.

1. Shutdown
    2. Remove battery
    3. Connect AC
    4. Startup again
    5. Go to Device Manager
    6. Select Battery
    7. Right Click on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant battery Control Method
    8. Uninstall
    9. Shutdown
    10. Put battery back in
    11. Disconnect AC
    12. Startup again
    13. All working ;-)
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:01 PM

1) Disconnect AC

2) Shutdown

3) Remove battery

4) Connect AC

5) Startup

7) Shutdown

8) Disconnect AC

9) Insert battery

10) Connect AC

11) Startup

Worked on a refurbished Acer 7551-7422, Had the problem right out of the shipping box.

Thanxs Ocrts for a good fix

Saturday, March 31, 2012 3:04 AM
  • I tried every method posted about uninstalling the driverand nothing worked.  Finally I switched out the AC power adapter and low and behold, my battery is now charging!  So, sometimes I guess it is the hardware/power adapter. 
    Friday, May 18, 2012 3:44 PM
  • For all laptops these days there is three conductor cable that goes from the power supply to the laptop. The outer ring you see is the negative part of the terminal, inside the connector there is an inner positive ring. The very center is a pin which is "sense". Almost always the thin wire going to the sense terminal has broken. If you crack open the case for the power supply (you don't need to) and take an ohm meter you will see an open circuit from the center pin to the thin wire inside the power supply. You can cut the rubbery strain relief on the computer side with and exacto lengthwise, be careful and you can reuse it with some electrical tape. Desolder the three wires from the terminal, cut about 6" from the remaining wire, strip the wire, resolder to terminal and you're done. All of the crap like: unplug, wait, change bios, dance on one foot, etc. only "work" temporarily because you're flexed the intermittent bad connection.
    Friday, June 15, 2012 9:11 AM
  • Recently i got problem on Plug in,not charging.Battery has very low performance.When i used this straight method, I got significant performance on battery.

Thanks Dudes.and cheers. for the victory over battery issue.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:44 PM
  • It's a hardware issue. Some laptop batteries get really hot while charging, and if the laptop is running and under load they will get even hotter. To prevent the sensitive Lithium-Ion cells from catching fire, there is a thermal sensor inside which suspends charging if the cells exceed a certain threshold (i believe it's 50C). Shut down the laptop and you'll find that the battery will charge.

Also, when you use the laptop on AC power and don't need to leave right away with it, take out the battery. This will more than double its service life. Batteries wear out very quickly if kept fully charged all the time.
    You are right, sir. I tried a lot of different solutions (maybe every single one of them!), but none of them worked. It was just that the power pack temperature was too high, so I just disconnected the power pack, let it cool down and reconnected and my battery was charging again. Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, July 03, 2012 9:19 PM

Cheers

Well this is the best method for many laptops..... But there are few cases too.

SOLUTION 2.Recalibration: but you cant recalibrate as your critical battery level is set to 5% and you can't descharge it to 0% well

run below command

powercfg -setdcvalueindex 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c e73a048d-bf27-4f12-9731-8b2076e8891f 9a66d8d7-4ff7-4ef9-b5a2-5a326ca2a469 0

and choose "high performance" unplugging the AC. this will drain the battery to 0%

Reason: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/ab5df6cf-a1ba-4086-bcd5-e0be496c02cc

SOLUTION 3......in case where Laptops are being supplied with addin software. Which sets your laptop battery to not chrge any furthur after a particular level. For example in Samsung laptop  addin software is samsung siontrol center which sets max level to 80% an after that is prompts PLUGGED IN NOT CHARGING and you keep scratching your head....Go to Samsung control center in Genral tab turn off battery Life extender.

Otherwise charles sSOLUTION 1... must solve your problem..........

Monday, August 27, 2012 9:38 PM
  • This has been a very common problem of some laptop owner. well you can try to read this blog "Solutions for Laptop Battery not Charging" for the steps that might help you to fix your problem.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:16 AM
  • I just purchased a Dell Studio 1558 two days ago. It first started the issue after the boat load of Windows Updates finished installing. I have been all over the internet and it amazes me how widespread this issue is and how MS can just pretend it has nothing to do with it. I tried all the solutions in this thread and others. I skipped over the one that ended up fixing mine (for now) bc I just knew there was know way that would help LOL. Here it is:

Turn on System Recovery
    Create a Restore Point manually for present time. (I know, this should not work, but...)
    Perform System Restore to the point that you just created.
    When the computer reboots, you will magically see your charging light come on and thats it. Its charging! The task bar icon still does not show the battery charging animation but if you hover over it, it will popup with "battery charging."

I dont know how long this will keep working for. I did noticed that running the battery below 25% before plugging it in seems to trigger the error. Dell will be out in 3 days to replace my mother board, they insisted. Its a shame how Microsoft can blame an OBVIOUS software flaw across all OEMS on said OEMS. Lastly I would advise not to do any Windows Updates once you have it working again. Good Luck!
    • Proposed as answer by DustN812 Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:43 AM
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:43 AM
  • Thank you, I followed your steps (did a hard shut down as well before putting the batter back in, holding power button for 20 seconds) and it worked beautifully. Battery is charging as I type. I appreciate your time and concern. I was checking prices of batteries. Thank you! :)
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:11 PM
  • Thank you, I followed your steps (did a hard shut down as well before putting the batter back in, holding power button for 20 seconds) and it worked beautifully. Battery is charging as I type. I appreciate your time and concern. I was checking prices of batteries. Thank you! :)
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:11 PM
  • WHAT A FANTASTIC ACHIEVEMENT AFTE LONG EFFORTS OF DISCONNECTING AND CONNECTING BATTERIES EVERY NOW AND THEN . i AM OBLIIIIIDGED A LOT TO ALL THE FORUM PEOPLE FOR STARTING SUCH ANICE FORUM BECAUSE ONE OF OUR POPULAR COMPUTER EXPERT SUGGESTED SOME ONLINE SOLUTION AND FILLING THE GAPS OF FILES IN SOFTWARE AND ALL.

i AM INDEBTED TO ALL OF YOU.

THANKS

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:35 PM
  • I was having the same issues as everyone else on here. The fix for me was really simple. After trying all the fixes on here I took my netbook(Gateway LT31 series) apart and noticed that the pins that the battery connects to on the motherboard were bent. I took some tweezers and straightened the pins and then put everything back together. Turned it on and voila problem solved. Just thought that I would mention this as I haven't seen this solution anywhere. Hope it helps some people.
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:57 PM
  •  How does the notebook charge the battery?
    Adhering to recommendations by battery cell suppliers and best practices, the notebook does not continue charging the battery once the battery is 100% fully charged. Once the battery is 100% fully charged, the 'terminate charge bit' is set, preventing the battery from charging. The battery does not clear the 'terminate charge bit' until after the fuel gauge falls below 94%. Once the battery fuel gauge falls below 94%, the 'charge bit' is set and the battery does begin charging with the AC adaptor connected to the notebook. If the AC adaptor is disconnected between the levels of 94% to 100%, the 'charge bit' will not be set and the notebook will no longer charge the battery.

its bag must be fix by Microsoft

Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:31 PM
  • I've followed your suggested procedure and it appears to uninstall, until I click the scan for hardware changes, then it re-appears under the Batteries category??? I can't seem to permanently uninstall it. Any ideas?

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:29 PM
  • I have a Dell XPS 17 Laptop...what worked for me was to disconnect power jack at back of computer and rebooting computer. Then plug in reconnect power jack. I think on this particular computer, the jack connection (male) and the internal jack connection (female) was designed flimsy. I feel it is not always making a good connection. My friend also purchased the same exact unit at the same time and she had a problem in the first week of ownership. A Dell tech had to come to her home to repair. I may be having a problem with mine now. Dell?
    Sunday, November 03, 2013 10:53 PM
  • I agree with you sir. I did all the software tricks mention in this forum and elsewhere but nothing worked for me until I simply changed the charger/power adapter and it started charging!! I will now try fixing the adapter as you describe in your post... Hope others will find this useful.
    Monday, February 17, 2014 8:09 AM
  • I have a INSPIRON with the 1545 Processor new battery and charger and I did replace the cord still doing it tried most of the recommended fixes also.  My point is I'm running windows 7.  It appears to be unique to DELL.
    Thursday, April 03, 2014 11:43 PM