none
windows 7 home premium 32 bit RRS feed

• General discussion

• i have L650 Toshiba Satilite.

i had to get a new harddrive as the old one had expired. when i bought the laptop it had product key sticker on the computer however no software cd or dvd. now the situation is that i do not have anything to install from but i still have my product key sticker on the laptop. where and how do i go about getting software cd or dvd for windows 7 home premium 32 bit. my key would not support the sp1 version of the windows.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you should contact the manufacturer of your hardware (Toshiba) for advice on obtaining the necessary recovery solution for your machine.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:54 AM
  • i did, they are asking for $66.00 to get a new recovery disk set. where as  i believe i should not be paying for it as i have already paid for everything including laptop, operating system and its liscense key. they are trying to cut cost by not providing the system disk at the time of purchase neither i was told how and when to create the recovery disk myself.
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Yep.

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/faq/69

it's quite common now (and it has been for some years) that manufacturers don't supply recovery discs in the carton, to keep costs down. it's usually some kind of recovery software on the machine, and that usually allows you to create/burn your own recovery discs. there are usually instructions on the need to do this, and how to do it, in the guides/manuals supplied with the machine. but it's all too late, if you've not done it before you have a crash :(

one of the big advantages of using the manufacturer recovery discs is that they already have all the necessary non-Microsoft drivers and utilities pre-installed, but you can construct your own solution using a plain MS Windows install disc, and then install all the hardware-specific stuff.

note that doing it this way, depending on how new/old/special the hardware components are, a plain Windows installation may not get you internet connectivity until after you've installed the extra drivers, so if you can, download all that machine-specific stuff ahead of time.

this thread in MS Answers may help you get the Windows installation disc image you're looking for:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/where-can-i-download-windows-7-home-premium-oa-mea/c03f51cf-a593-43fa-82b1-94e1c36721e5

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:34 AM