none
Dual Boot Vista 32 / 64 bit versions. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor.

I have Windows Vista Ultimate Retail Box (32 & 64 bit disks)

I have a seperate clean drive to install the 2nd OS on.

Of course have the product key that came with the box.

So, I've already upgraded my old installation of XP to the 32 bit version and Vista is running well, a little bit slow, but basically ok.  So, I thought maybe I could squeeze a bit more juice out of it by upgrading to 64 bit.  The thing is, I know there are major compatability problems with 64 bit drivers and other programs. So, I dont want to upgrade my existing install, instead I want to create a Dual Boot 64 bit version and see how the drivers and software install.  f all works well, then I'll probably dump the 32 bit version. If not, I wont have to do anything except format the partition I installed the 64 bit on.

The question is one of licensing and license keys.  I know with Vista, they have inbuilt security which prevents you using the same copy on more than 1 PC because they force you to register you key.  As far as I know, Vista is meant for a single machine.  Well, I'm using the same machine and same hardware, can I use the same key to run a different version without messing up my 32 bit version?

Anyone tell me how this all works ?

Regards

Saturday, January 12, 2008 7:54 PM

Answers