none
Blue screen of death Windows 7, unable to load windows, red lines in safe mode

Question

• Hi,

I've got a serious problem with my PC. I suddenly got vertical red lines appear across my screen followed by a  blue screen crash and  minidump.

On restart my PC gets to the starting windows screen but then hangs. I have gone through several attempts at the auto fixing but to no avail. I can get my PC working through safe mode but still with red lines.

I'm running Windows 7 32-bit, 2GB ram and nvidia Geforce 8800GTX. I have downloaded the latest graphics card drivers from nvidia and still no joy.

I hope someone can suggest a way to fix this.

*UPDATE*

Following the suggestions to remove my graphics card, I disabled the card from the Device Manager and my PC now runs outside of safe mode, however the lines are still there on my monitor.

• Edited by AliFry Monday, July 05, 2010 9:42 PM
    Monday, July 05, 2010 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What is the blue screen error code? Please collect the minidump files to share with us.

Collect Minidump Files
    =================
    1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.
    2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".
    3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.
    4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the Blue Screen appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.
    2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".
    3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.
    4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
    5. Upload to SkyDrive.

I understand that the red line appears on the screen even you boot in Safe Mode or perform a Device Clean Boot. In my opinion, it can be caused by graphic card issue, dirty memory or monitor defect, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.     Run Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to check the memory.

2.     Clean the RAM.

3.     Connect your machine to another monitor and see if the red line appears.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 3:34 AM

All replies

• Do you have a way to borrow a different video card and try it?

That would be my first try after seeing what you describe.

Monday, July 05, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Thanks but that isn't possible.
    Monday, July 05, 2010 8:08 PM
  • Can you remove the video card and revert to on-board video to see if the problem is with the video card?

If onboard video is not available can you try re-seating the video card?

Monday, July 05, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Hi,

What is the blue screen error code? Please collect the minidump files to share with us.

Collect Minidump Files
    =================
    1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.
    2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".
    3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.
    4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the Blue Screen appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.
    2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".
    3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.
    4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
    5. Upload to SkyDrive.

I understand that the red line appears on the screen even you boot in Safe Mode or perform a Device Clean Boot. In my opinion, it can be caused by graphic card issue, dirty memory or monitor defect, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.     Run Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to check the memory.

2.     Clean the RAM.

3.     Connect your machine to another monitor and see if the red line appears.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Hey Dale Qiao,

Sorry if this thread is pretty dead now but I am having the exact same issue, I ran the WMD tool and nothing was found. When you say "Clean the Ram" do you physically mean clean the component in my tower? I am yet to try another monitor but I will do later this evening.
    That being said I have prepared my "minidump" files and uploaded the folder to Skydive, if you can help me from here I would be very great full as I need my computer for my degree on a daily basis and these red lines amongst other things are very distracting. Thank you so much for reading and I hope to hear again from you soon.

best wishes,
    Christopher

email: nvidia_bud@yahoo.co.uk

Edit: I tried my friend's monitor with my PC and the red vertical lines remained. 

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:98px;height:115px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-59c8fcffcf96de25.office.live.com/embedicon.aspx/New%20folder/Dump.zip"></iframe>

^--- above is a link to the "Dump" folder
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Awfun.

The minidump file showed a VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116) error being caused by the nvlddmkm.sys.

The nvlddmkm.sys is a driver for the display adapter.

Try updating the display adpater by installing the latest driver from NVIDIA.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Hello Auggy,

thank you very much for your response. I've updated my Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT driver and re-started my PC. The vertical red lines still remain as well as the incorrect resolution. I'm pretty certain that this update is up to date. Do you have any other suggestions to help me fix this? Thank you very much again.

best wishes,
    Christopher
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:46 AM
  • Did you uninstall the older divers before installing the newer drivers?

If not, try that.

Also, do the red lines exist if you restart the computer in Safe Mode?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Do I "delete" the old driver or do I go somewhere do correctly un-install?
    I haven't tried safe mode yet after the update, I will do so now.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Are you using the latest driver from NVIDIA (version 260.99)?

If so the driver has a "clean install" option and I would suggest to reinstall the driver using that option.

In the driver "Install Options" choose Custom > Next, and then select "Perform clean install" and continue with the installation.

Restart the computer afterward.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:22 PM
  • This is very likely a hardware problem. Look up 8800gtx elsewhere on google. Lot's of references.

NVIDIA had a lot of trouble with their chips

Look up semiaccurate & underfill on google

You are going to need a new card. For ~$40 you can have something functional again.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:02 PM
  • Hello JMV2009 & Auggy,

I've just turned my PC back on, it was unable to turn on properly and did a "System Repair" (I believe that was the title) to try and go back to an earlier date prior to this problem. The repair finished and restarted.
    Now, the red lines are very fine and go horizontally across my screen with even worst resolution. I'm about to attempt the options mentioned by you two. I'll keep you posted, do you believe this alteration in appearance is "better" or is it getting worse?

Best wishes,
    Christopher

Edit: The red lines only altered due to the lower resolution, I have version 260.99 but I'm trying to find a way to re-install 

Edit 2: Sorry JMV, I don't mean to question your judgement but do you believe it has come to getting a new card? - I've reinstalled the driver with the "clean installation" and the problem still remains. Do you guys believe it's my Graphics Card which is damaged in some way? As I'm looking to upgrade certain components for better gaming anyway, would this issue go away with a new Graphics Card? 

P.S. Thank you very much for your quick response :) x

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Yes, it is quite possible the video card is damaged.

Can you test the card in another computer?

You could try just re-seating the video card and see if that has any effect.

Also, how is the monitor attached? If is connected via DVI can you try another DVI connection if available, or connect via VGA.

BTW, did you try Safe Mode?  

Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:32 AM
  • Things I have tried up to now:

• I have done a "clean installation" of the latest Nvidia 260.99
    • The red lines remain in safe mood and normal mood
    • I am using a 15pin VGA cable to attach my monitor to my computer, with a DVI converter (I believe) so it can connect to my tower
    • I don't believe I will be able to try the card in another desktop.
    • I've tried connecting to the other VGA input in my tower, problem remains
    • I've just taken out the Nvidia card, cleaned up, left it to cool and reinstalled, problem remains

Thanks in advance.

best wishes, Christopher

Thursday, October 28, 2010 11:04 AM
  • As the same problem exists in Safe Mode and after taking the card out and cleaning, the problem is with the video card.

There is a chance the problem may be with the PCI-E slot but the problem is most likely with the card itself.

• Proposed as answer by Awfun Friday, October 29, 2010 11:06 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 10:45 AM
  • I think I've come to terms now that I may just need to buy a new one :/ 

I was going to upgrade anyway but money is a bit tight at the moment, is there anything other than AGP or PCI 

connection that I need to look into about getting a new card? Any other system requirements? 

Friday, October 29, 2010 11:06 AM
  • You should be able to check the requirements of the card at any online site that sells the card such as newegg or tigerdirect.

You could look for a card with similar requirements to the 8800GTX.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 1:04 PM
  • You could try to put the card in the oven.

You can find cooking recepies on the interwebs.

This has worked for certain people several times. Even entire laptops have been resurected!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDChKWuewow

"nvidia in oven" on google

The technical term is "reflow"

Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Hey guys, sorry I drifted away.
    I've read your comments and I've been looking into "cooking" the video card. 
    I will give it a try as I have nothing to lose, that being said I wanted to upgrade anyway. So I will do it once I have my new video card to try out of curiosity.
    I guess we can wrap this one up :)
    thank you everyone for your constant and helpful responses, couldn't of solved/tried to with out you :D

best wishes and happy holidays,
    Christopher 
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 2:57 PM