NDRs after cross forest Exchange migration RRS feed

• Question

• OK this is really starting to bother me...

1) Why the eff does this stupid X.500 address crap exist?

2) Why did MS decide to use this terrible mail routing option instead of the basic SMTP address?

OK now that I got those out of the way... what can I do to fix this?!

What I did: Created a new domain (A while ago), I migrated multiple services, after a certain workflow service (third party) failed to play nice, I was forced to make a 2 way trust.

So user remained in the old domain, but I created teh new 2016 exchange server in my new domain, and created linked mailboxes. Since I couldn't create linked distro groups or resource items, I created them new with the exact same UPNs.

Does this work?!?! NOooooooo of course not, my ignorance in this lame old legacyExchangeDN garbage came to bite me in the arse on Monday after I tested all outbound/inbound mail, I didn't expect internal routing to poop out cause of a poor old design Choice by MS. This issue is pissing me right off.

So I do my best to try and fix this myself. For all the details on what I've tried view my Blog post on it here.

In short, I opened up ADUC pointing to my old domain, opened up each user (advanced view) clicked the attribute editor tab, scrolled down to the LegacyExchangeDN, copied the contents, and then opened up the ECP on my Exchange 2016, double clicked the same user mailbox, clicked email address, add, X.500, and pasted the LegacyExchangeDN in.

But even after waiting 24 hours, if I open up an old email and click reply, it still give mes a damn NDR?!?! Argggg What am I missing?!?!

Shooot! I forgot to change the location of this question, can an Op move this to the Exchange section of Technet, please and Thank you.
    • Edited by Zewwy Wednesday, August 1, 2018 1:53 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 1:51 PM

Answers

• Facepalm!!!! got to be kidding me...

From here...

Note: It should be of type X500 and not X.500 as in the information in EAC says.

Are you Kidding me?!!??!?! Who the heck are these Exchange UI developers?! they need to taken out back and shot... for reals...

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Wednesday, August 1, 2018 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 3:01 PM

All replies

• Facepalm!!!! got to be kidding me...

From here...

Note: It should be of type X500 and not X.500 as in the information in EAC says.

Are you Kidding me?!!??!?! Who the heck are these Exchange UI developers?! they need to taken out back and shot... for reals...

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Wednesday, August 1, 2018 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 3:01 PM
  • Thanks for sharing your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial to other members who have similar problem.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 2, 2018 8:51 AM