Boot order change (and how to prevent that) RRS feed

• Question

• Since I am deploying Windows 10 1607 using MDT our UEFI-BIOS laptops get their boot order changed from hard disk first to network first resulting in boot loops during the imaging process. Imaging the laptops with Windows 10 1511 leaves the boot order in the BIOS unchanged, which is the desired behaviour. I don't know where to start looking for a solution. Your suggestions are welcome.

Server Pastoor Ariens vraag

Monday, January 30, 2017 10:09 AM

All replies

• MDT does not touch the boot order. This is a function within the BIOS settings. What model are you working with? Sometimes there is a legacy boot order option AND a UEFI boot order option. You want to make sure HD is set to first...
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:31 PM
  • Could be a hardware issue (update your Firmware version to check).
    Also, you should dump out the BIOS settings and share here so we can verify the settings are correct.

It's also possible that MDT did *NOT* lay down the correct partition, what happens if you disconnect the network cable from the machine, does it eventually boot to the hard disk or not? If it does not boot to the hard disk you may have some corrupted media, or some other bug.

Additionally, it could also be a SecureBoot issue, where some file is corrupted.

Some people have reported within this group recently that boot order settings were changed due to no fault of MDT, in that case, I blame the hardware vendor, open up a case with the OEM.
    OTher Case:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ec5a7ecb-7177-46df-b6af-7344da5bf993/win10-deployments-pxe-boot-after-the-os-is-installed?forum=mdt

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, February 2, 2017 12:32 AM
  • Thanks for your reply and the link. I have the same issue as the topic starter in that discussion. At the end of that discussion someone proposes to use an older Win PE boot file. I am going to give that a try and will report back if that resolves the issue.
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 11:10 AM
  • Symptom: You are deploying Windows 10 1703 using the following tools : Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Version 8443 & Windows 10 ADK 1703. Target computers are using UEFI firmware.

After booting in WinPE and do Install phase (Apply Operating System), the computer is booting again on Network/USB disk instead of using UEFI Firmware (Bootmgfw.efi). Cause:

Due to changes to optimize bcdboot tools, MDT 8443 is not using the right bcdboot command line from Windows 10 1703 ADK to update the UEFI firmware boot order. This problem has been raised to MDT Product Team and should be fixed for the next release of MDT later this year.

Resolution:

On your deployment share go to Scripts folder. Backup LTIApply.wsf

Open LTIApply.wsf with your text editor.

Change the following line:

TestAndFail RunBCDBootEx( sDestinationDrive & "\windows", " /s " & left(oBootDrive.Drive,2) & " /f UEFI"), 5616, "Verify BCDBootEx"

with this line:

TestAndFail RunBCDBootEx( sDestinationDrive & "\windows", " /c"), 5616, "Verify BCDBootEx"

More information: /c Optional. Specifies that any existing BCD elements should not be migrated. New for Windows 10: By default, during an upgrade, BCD elements such as debugsettings or flightsigning are preserved.

• Proposed as answer by Anton Romanyuk Friday, October 13, 2017 7:10 AM
    Friday, October 13, 2017 6:54 AM