Windows 10 update black screen RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP Pavilion dv7; after it started installing updates the screen went black, no response to "shift F8". What is going on, how do I get my laptop going again.
    Monday, September 26, 2016 1:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The black screen can always be caused by graphic card driver, please test if we can enter the Safe mode by following these steps:

1. Create a Windows 10 recovery media by referring the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

2. Insert the media tool to the PC which is black screen and boot into Windows Recovery Environment by clicking Repair the computer. Then click “See more keyboard layouts” > “Troubleshoot” > “Advanced Options” > “Startup Settings” > “Enable safe mode” > “Restart”.

3. After Windows rebooting, you can choose “Enable Safe Mode” by pressing F4.

Then, try to remove graphic card driver in device manage and try to restart the system again.

If the issue still persists, try to use Startup repair under Troubleshoot” > “Advanced Options” .

Let me know if there is any update.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 11:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The black screen can always be caused by graphic card driver, please test if we can enter the Safe mode by following these steps:

1. Create a Windows 10 recovery media by referring the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

2. Insert the media tool to the PC which is black screen and boot into Windows Recovery Environment by clicking Repair the computer. Then click “See more keyboard layouts” > “Troubleshoot” > “Advanced Options” > “Startup Settings” > “Enable safe mode” > “Restart”.

3. After Windows rebooting, you can choose “Enable Safe Mode” by pressing F4.

Then, try to remove graphic card driver in device manage and try to restart the system again.

If the issue still persists, try to use Startup repair under Troubleshoot” > “Advanced Options” .

Let me know if there is any update.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 11:51 AM
  • I have a similar problem. Hours after initiating the update I came back to my laptop with an active but completely black and unresponsive screen. I presumed the update was finished but there was some bug so I turned off my laptop. My laptop turned on again and said it was trying to recover from an unexpected shut down during the update (oops). It has now gone back to the active but black unresponsive screen and has been like that for nearly 24 hours now. 

I don't know whether to let it keep "updating" for another whole day or whether to risk turning it off again to get my laptop back.
    • Edited by SaxMcGee Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:26 PM