none
nVidia Geforce 7950 GT OC not working with Windows 7 64-bit and Dell 3007wfp

Question

• I just did a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit from Vista 32 bit.

Now my video card driver is not working. The desktop is displayed twice on my my 3007wfp monitor in a terrible ratio, and there are moving vertical lines.

The first thing I tried was installing the windows update for the video card (nvidia geforce 7950 GT OC), but that failed. I tried a few more times and it still failed.

So I installed the most recent driver pack from nvidia (191.07), and nothing changed. I tried older driver packs and the newest beta (195.39), also with no effect.

I have made sure that I have the most recent monitor driver installed. But the nVidia controll panel does not seem to recognize my monitor or allow me to adjust the resolution to the appropriate resolution (2056x1600).

I did try using the device manager to uninstall the driver, this made the desktop fill the entire screen without the vertical lines, but at a lower resolution. I then tried installing the nvidia driver pack but it failed because it said it could not find the graphics card. I also tried the windows update again, but that also failed.

After restarting the computer, Windows auto installs a driver, has me restart, and them I am back to the double broken display.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:22 AM

Answers

• Hello,

First unplug and re-plug the display adaptor on the motherboard and test the monitor on another computer to confirm that it should work well. Try installing the following driver from the Nvidia official website.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_191.07_whql.html

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might push the device manufacturer to upgrade their device driver ASAP. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Good Luck!
    Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, November 27, 2009 10:22 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:37 AM

All replies

• Hello,

First unplug and re-plug the display adaptor on the motherboard and test the monitor on another computer to confirm that it should work well. Try installing the following driver from the Nvidia official website.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_191.07_whql.html

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might push the device manufacturer to upgrade their device driver ASAP. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Good Luck!
    Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, November 27, 2009 10:22 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Did this work?

I have a Win7Pro x64 fresh install on a Dell Presion 390, that goes to lines at resolutions above 1280x800, and we need to go to 2056x1600

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:59 PM