32 bit apps on 64 bit OS RRS feed

• Question

• Is windows 7 available in 32 bit?
    It looks like some of my favorite apps runs in 32bit mode on Windows 7, 64 bit. What is the meaning of running a 64 bit OS if my favorite programs only runs in 32 bit mode?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Arne,

Some 32-bit applications can work on both 32-bit and 64-bit operating system, but not all the 32-bit applications can work on 64-bit operating system.

The performance of 64-bit operating system is higher.

I think the following article is helpful for you.

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

Hope it helps!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:59 AM

All replies

• Arne, Windows 7 comes in 32 or 64 bit versions.

But, if your hardware is new and capable of running 64, and you are not facing any incompatibility, think about keeping the 64bit.
    You can upgrade your RAM memory in the future to support more than 4gb, you can use the better kernel/drivers protection, available in x64 that make the system safer.
    And, the future will be x64. So, you can already be using and adapting to a new technology that will be the standard in the market in the next coming months/years.

• Proposed as answer by Warel Friday, October 23, 2009 4:47 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:48 PM
  • If your favorite programs were written as 32 bit programs, that is how they will run, both on x86 and x64 verions of Windows. The writers of those programs will have to produce a 64 bit version inorder for them to run as 64 bit programs on Windows 7 x64.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Hi Arne,

Some 32-bit applications can work on both 32-bit and 64-bit operating system, but not all the 32-bit applications can work on 64-bit operating system.

The performance of 64-bit operating system is higher.

I think the following article is helpful for you.

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

Hope it helps!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:59 AM