none
Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys I upgraded recently from win 8 home to windows 10 home. I would like now to upgrade to the windows 10 pro version. I have downloaded the en_windows_10_multiple_editions_x64_dvd from MSDN. The setup wizard however doesn't provide an option to upgrade my 10 home to the 10 pro version. Any advice on how do this would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 11:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As I know, there is still no way to upgrade Windows 10 edition yet, but there will be one soon. The Windows 10 upgrade process is only can be activated by free upgrade from activated previous system at the present stage, it means

Windows 7 Starter will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Home Basic will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Home Premium will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Professional will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Ultimate will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 8.1 with Bing will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 8.1 Pro will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro

If you have bought the license for Windows 10 pro, please follow the guidance from your Microsoft seller or contact with them for installation media.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:16 AM

All replies

•   Do you also have and MSDN product key for Windows 10 Pro? You probably need a different product key to install Pro over Home.

Bill

Monday, August 3, 2015 12:12 AM
  • Yes Bill, I do have a Windows 10 Pro Product key. However I cannot apply that key to the Windows 10 Home version and there does not appear to be an option to apply that key during the windows wizard installation process.

Patrick

Monday, August 3, 2015 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

As I know, there is still no way to upgrade Windows 10 edition yet, but there will be one soon. The Windows 10 upgrade process is only can be activated by free upgrade from activated previous system at the present stage, it means

Windows 7 Starter will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Home Basic will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Home Premium will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Professional will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Ultimate will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 8.1 with Bing will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Windows 8.1 Pro will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro

If you have bought the license for Windows 10 pro, please follow the guidance from your Microsoft seller or contact with them for installation media.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:16 AM