Windows Server 2012 volume license key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have installed win server 2012 std edition and my VL key has came with 2012R2 std/datacenter activation key. So, now I am unable to activate my OS (Windows Server 2012 std). Its generate invalid key massage. Help me with this issue.

Thanks.   

Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:51 AM

Answers

• What media did you use for your installation?  There are three types of installation media: evaluation, retail, and volume.  Volume media is configured to automatically look for a Key Management Services (KMS) server.  That is a special system set up in the environment that activates the volume media.  You install the KMS server using the volume key - it is not used as an activation key like you are used to with other products.  This key is specifically for setting up the KMS service.  (TechNet has good step-by-step guides on setting this up).  Or, if you do not want to use KMS, you can get a Multiple Activation Key (MAK) to activate.  The difference between the two models is that the KMS registers with Microsoft and then after that all activations are handled locally to the KMS.  With MAK, each system must have a means to access Microsoft to activate.

Retail media has the typical activation key.  The system must be able to reach Microsoft to activate.

Evaluation media automatically activates by contacting Microsoft as soon as it is connected to the internet.

Media can be activated with different keys - volume or retail - by using the slmgr.vbs utility that is on every system.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Monday, February 3, 2014 5:05 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:54 PM
  • Hi,

In addition to Tim, a Windows Server 2012 R2 product key cannot activate Windows Server 2012 products unless it is a KMS host key and you use it to setup a KMS host server.

Therefore, I suggest verifying the type of the key you have with your reseller or contact Microsoft directly.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx

More information:

Understanding KMS

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx

Thanks.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 27, 2014 11:09 AM

All replies

• What media did you use for your installation?  There are three types of installation media: evaluation, retail, and volume.  Volume media is configured to automatically look for a Key Management Services (KMS) server.  That is a special system set up in the environment that activates the volume media.  You install the KMS server using the volume key - it is not used as an activation key like you are used to with other products.  This key is specifically for setting up the KMS service.  (TechNet has good step-by-step guides on setting this up).  Or, if you do not want to use KMS, you can get a Multiple Activation Key (MAK) to activate.  The difference between the two models is that the KMS registers with Microsoft and then after that all activations are handled locally to the KMS.  With MAK, each system must have a means to access Microsoft to activate.

Retail media has the typical activation key.  The system must be able to reach Microsoft to activate.

Evaluation media automatically activates by contacting Microsoft as soon as it is connected to the internet.

Media can be activated with different keys - volume or retail - by using the slmgr.vbs utility that is on every system.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:54 PM
  • Hi,

In addition to Tim, a Windows Server 2012 R2 product key cannot activate Windows Server 2012 products unless it is a KMS host key and you use it to setup a KMS host server.

Therefore, I suggest verifying the type of the key you have with your reseller or contact Microsoft directly.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx

More information:

Understanding KMS

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx

Thanks.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 27, 2014 11:09 AM